drank Milk Oolong by Mandala Tea

Additional notes:  Thanks so much for sending some of this a while ago, Kawaii433! I drank this a couple days ago.  In my experience, this one is fickle.   But if I can steep it just right, it’s a wonderful tea.  To be honest, I didn’t steep this one how I know best suits it anyway.  (Should have been around 195 degrees.)  Not sure if I found that magic today.  The second steep has more of a noticeable lingering cream flavor.  Which is the only basic characteristic I personally expect from a milk oolong! However, wasn’t tasting many of the extensive list of flavor notes that others have mentioned for this. Maybe I should have used a different infuser/mug. The third steep was a bust… But I was craving just this sort of oolong.  So it works well enough.
Steep #1  //  less than 1 teaspoon in smaller mug // 21 minutes after boiling  // rinse // 2 minute steep
Steep #2  // 12 minutes after boiling //  2 min
Steep #3 // 5 minutes after boiling // 2 min

Kawaii433

You’re very welcome! I have that issue with all my milk oolongs… And I always forget where the sweet spot is with each one lol. I “think” it’s about 190.

ashmanra

Harney has a super cheap milk oolong. I bought it and was sooooo disappointed. But then I decided to try at 175F and it was so much better!

Kawaii433

ashmanra, I’m going to try 175F next time with the 3 I have (Theodor, TeaVivre, and Mandala) and see how that temperature does with each. I like drinking similar teas side by side for fun and comparison. I did that with WP black teas recently hehe. Thanks for the tip about the temperature.

ashmanra

Theodor is my favorite, as you know! Ha ha! I got the idea to try Harney at 175F because Bird Pick sells a tea under the name Premium Silky Green as amgreen tea, but it is clearly and definitely a milk oolong. Years ago I called to ask them about it, and the person who answered told me that it was green and not oolong because oolong is dark and roasty. I told her….um, green ones aren’t. And she said she had to look into that because she didn’t know there were green and roasted!

Since it had been sold as a green, that was how I had been preparing it before I realized it was a milk oolong. It is a delicious tea and smells like movie theater buttered popcorn.

tea-sipper

Kawaii – I’ll be eager to see the results of your milk oolong experiment!
ashmanra – I love that Silky Green from Bird Pick.. it ages really really well too. Unless it was sent to me when it was already old. But now it’s even older. haha.

Comments

Kawaii433

tea-sipper

Kawaii – I’ll be eager to see the results of your milk oolong experiment!

Some of my favorite tea shops (still operating):
birdandblendtea.com

joysteaspoon.com
tealiciousllc.com
Rivertea
Specialteas

My dislikes: hibiscus, ginger (unless in chai), turmeric, bee pollen, charcoal type flavors

My ratings:
95-100 – Super awesome deliciousness favorites – cupboard essential
80-95 – Also pretty delicious
65-80 – Pretty good
50-65 – Okay
1-50 – Probably won’t want to sip it again

I’m planning on being a Steepsterer as long as there IS a Steepster, so if you’re not hearing from me, that means something happened to my health… if you know what I mean. (Or as evidenced by the great computer hiatus of 2019, something happened to my computer.) :D

Happy sipping!