Pancake Breakfast Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves, Marigold Petals, Organic Flavours
Astringent, Cake, Malt, Maple, Pancake Syrup, Tannic, Tannin, Sweet, Baked Bread, Maple Syrup, Butter, Nuts
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

2 Images

• “Tea of breakfast yesterday, with some creamer. I wanted pancakes but was all out of maple syrup. Luckily I had this on hand – got all the buttery maple syrup flavors I needed without having to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Something really important happened this weekend… Something important enough to keep me away from tea and Steepster for a weekend! … It was my 27 birthday!!! 27… Wow… I feel like I was just...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is easily my fave of 52Teas. I love the combo of maple syrup and butter – pancakes without the calories! Since I let this steep for the length of the cup, second infusions don’t go too...” Read full tasting note
  • “I just downed a gigantic plate of tofu nuggets like nobodies business whilst drinking this and Prairie Berry. It seems like a totally strange combination of flavours, but somehow it really worked?...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Newly Added to D’s Teas – Our Permanent Collection!

Because the love for this tea is so strong, we stuck closely to the original recipe.

One difference is that we’re utilizing different teas in our black tea base. I think you’ll notice the difference and I’m confident you’ll feel this was a change for the better! We’ve made a really yummy thing even better!

The Large Size is 50g.

Ingredients: Organic Black Teas, organic marigold petals and all-natural, organic flavors

Here’s Frank’s original description:

I’m tempted to start this post with, “You’re not going to believe what we did this week!” But we’ve created enough unique, one-of-a-kind blends, that I imagine our unique-ness is getting rather ho-hum.

But seriously? Who else would bring you a PANCAKE BREAKFAST tea? With the essence of hot, buttery, maple-syruped pancakes infused through our premium black teas (a bit heavier on the breakfast teas this week). Who else, really?

Our new Tea of the Week for the week of April 4th, 2011

About 52teas View company

Note: This review is an edited version of a review that I posted previously in one of my Tumblr accounts.

I added: Nothing.
Smell (dry): A bit bitter and a touch of something sweet, like maple syrup.
Smell (brewed): Hint of something flowery.
Color (brewed): Almost a maple syrup golden-red color.

Taste: It tastes like a nice black tea to me, with hints of other flavors. When made properly, there is little to no bitterness to the taste.

I remember it as tasting like maple syrup the first few times I tried it, but I don’t taste any of that now. I’m not sure if my memory is at fault or if it’s just had a few months to be past its prime in flavor. I probably also added honey to it, which certainly would have given it a different body.

Since I’d already written about my current impressions of the taste, I went ahead and added a spoonful of honey to the cup and it brought out more of the flowery taste I could smell from the aroma. So I would certainly recommend adding honey to the tea if you just taste the black tea rather than the marigold and other flavors they added to this blend. Try it first without the honey and then add just a bit to bring out the other flavors.

Other comments: This isn’t the first time I’ve had this particular tea. I bought it a few months ago because the flavor sounded nothing short of wonderful. I mean, look at the photo on the package. Can’t you just taste the warm, buttery, bready pancake flavor? It honestly was not at all like I expected it to taste, which was a bit of a disappointment, but once I got over that, it was pretty nice for what it actually was. I’m just saying: do not expect it to taste like it looks as if it would.

Tonight when I made the tea, I added too much water to the first cup. You’ll still taste “something” more than just hot water if you add too much water (of course), but it’ll be a very bland sort of generic tea. You might taste the marigold or the maple as a note in the background, but more likely you’ll just have something bitter along with standard tea-ness. (When I say “standard tea-ness” I’m trying to describe something very generic and forgettable and sort of… well, to put it as I see it in my head, it’s sort of a desaturated brown taste.)

I’m a little disappointed I didn’t think to review teas earlier. I would have liked to have been able to describe the flavor as I originally tasted it rather than from memory of it.

Would I buy it again?: There are a lot of interesting flavors on 52Teas and at the moment, Pancake Breakfast isn’t a “favorite” enough to buy it on my next shipment after this packet runs out. It’s certainly a “maybe” though.

Would I recommend it?: As long as you’re perfectly aware that it will not taste like buttered pancakes and the thought of black tea with marigolds sounds nice to you, by all means try it! I recommend only opening the packet if you’re prepared to drink nothing but that tea until it’s all out, though – just in case the flavor goes “dead” like mine seems to have.

As I mentioned in our Forum Thread, we are launching “D’s Teas” which is the permanent collection of 52Teas’ teas. We’re starting out with 3 teas: Graveyard Mist, Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha & Pancake Breakfast.

Our Pancake Breakfast tea was just packaged up last night – and is now ready for shipment. YUM!

I’ve taken a different approach with this tea (again) as I’ve recently (within the last 8 months or so) have changed primary suppliers, so the teas are different here. I used a golden Yunnan and an Assamica from the Jing Mai mountains in China. I absolutely LOVE this combination so you can pretty much expect that many of my black tea blends will start with this blend. It’s hearty with a bold flavor – rich with notes of malt but not as astringent as some teas can be.

And I love these two teas as the base of the Pancake Breakfast flavors … there’s a natural note of starch to the blend – and it enhances the pancake aspect of this tea. The maple is prominent and I do love maple – and the butter notes meld beautifully with the maple.

YUM!

how did i miss that announcement!

CrowKettle

I love this idea! Marshmallow Treat alone is always a big incentive to buy :)

Sipdown! (79/393)

Has this one been reblended? I hope it gets reblended. Maybe with pecan. 52Teas if you see this a Pecan Pancake tea would be amaaaazing and I would buy a lot of it. Just sayin’.

I liked this one a whole lot, and if Anne’s new 52teas were to reblend it I think it would probably get an even higher rating, because Frank’s black base tea wasn’t one I loved. It’s great as a breakfast tea, it takes milk and sugar really well, and I think it would make a great dessert replacement treat, too. Good stuff.

1975 tasting notes

Delicious afternoon coldbrew with 2 tsp leaf in 500 mL water/ice for 30 minutes.

I wanted maple, and I brought some of this along with me on vacation to Hawaii. This was exactly what I wanted. There is the sweetness of maple in front of a strong, bold breakfast-type black tea. I wish there was more butter in this blend, but I really can’t complain about maple black tea. It is surprisingly realistic, considering there was no actual maple syrup added to my cup. I’m also more into less brash blends, as I find the black base a bit much even in a weaker steep. Still, the flavouring really holds up.

Flavors: Maple, Pancake Syrup, Sweet, Tannic, Tannin

Iced 8 min or more 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

I had this one… yesterday morning? So this is from memory. One thing I thought was interesting about this is that it seems to me like a classic “breakfast tea”, in the sense that the base is a fairly robust, malty, wake-up-your-tastebuds kind of black tea. It’s smooth though, I didn’t have to add milk or anything. The maple in this tea is very nice, and apparently I’m picky about maple in things. The pancakes… well, if I really concentrate I can imagine some pancake flavour there, but I think if you had just handed me a mug of this tea I wouldn’t have picked up on it. Good tea though, I’m looking forward to having it again.

I’m working my way through trying out the new 52teas very slowly before processing and sending them towards Sil.

I like maple, so seeing this and the maple tieguanyin included in this packet was pretty awesome. Both teas deliver on the maple but do it in different ways. This is more of a starchy maple as opposed to the equally good but buttery maple of the tieguanyin. It was delicious with milk and made a very sweet “wake me up” breakfast tea. I’m not sure it necessarily stands out from the other delicious maple black teas I’ve tried though.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Maple Syrup

Last night my father appeared over my shoulder, “You’re looking at tea?! You have tea all over the place!” If only he knew how I envied the stash of many of them members of this site ;)

I am off to a late start to this labor day weekend. I have a list I made of teas to drink this weekend, I don’t know now if I’ll get to all of them with waking up three hours later than planned. This one was at the top of said list as I made it for a work morning and wanted to be sure to fully review and appreciate it. I liked this better at the 2 minute steep time, today was 3 minutes and the black tea taste took over the cup a bit too much for my true liking. I still finished the cup, but I would have preferred to have more of a balance with the maple flavor.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Nicole

Looking at tea and making up orders is free until you hit submit. ;)

Kayla

Exactly ;)

Ah… What a wonderfully scented tea. My sense of smell kicked in early this morning so I went through my teas, inhaling to find the one I wanted this morning. This one won. I swear, there is a hot pancake inside the pouch, drenched in butter and maple syrup. An excellent tea.

Flavors: Butter, Maple Syrup, Sweet

gmathis

Glad to hear you’re able to enjoy some scent-worthy teas!

K S

Love reading this.

52Teas

Me too!

The more I drink this tea the more I am falling in love with it. It’s simply delicious. Tastes exactly as described.

This tea seems like something I would reach for in the fall/winter, however …. here I am, right in the middle of a heat advisory, drinking it hot in my mug! It’s that good!

Flavors: Maple, Maple Syrup, Pancake Syrup, Sweet

Backlog…from last night.

Well, I am more than pleasantly surprised. I lean more towards tea’s without added flavours, but I had been curious about the 52 blends since discovering Steepster, and lovely Lala generously shared a bunch of samples. This is surprising good – I couldn’t imagine how that pancake mouthfeel would present itself in tea form but it’s wonderfully represented. Got lots of butter too. The maple made a special guest appearance a couple of times, but very elusive.

This would definitely satisfy my pancake craving. I only have pancakes once or twice a year…when we have brunch breakfast at work for sponsored charities…and I pack ‘em away like nobody’s business. I think I will have to keep an eye out on frank’s site to see how often this is available…this will definitely do for those in between times.

Thank you Lala! yum yum!!

Lala

You’re welcome! Glad you enjoy. I think this is one of the best 52 Teas.

Aimee Popovacki

definitely one of the best from 52 teas… its one of my favorites!