Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha

Green Tea
Cream, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Grain, Malt, Pastries, Rice, Rice Pudding, Sweet, Tea, Toasted, Toasty, Green, Creamy, Burnt, Decayed wood, Earth, Nutty, Roasted, Grass, Hay, Autumn Leaf Pile, Butter, Nuts, Burnt Food
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

3 Images

• “Indulging in a celebratory cup (or rather, travel mug)-ful of this one! What am I celebrating, you ask? Why, snagging another pouch of this! Haha. Anyways, it’s delicious as always. Nice and...” Read full tasting note
  • “More cold brew for me. This batch definitely tastes better that way. Not as sweet and more toasty rice for the win. I’d like to finish a bit more tea before going back to the Island so there would...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love this tea so much. I have the non-vegan version… and after having tried the vegan version, I can say that this one is much better. Sweet, very marshmallow treat-y. Yum Yum Yum!” Read full tasting note
  • “I finished this one recently. I’m sad to see it go :( I just realized what a great transition tea it is for the Fall. It retains some of the lightness that I tend to crave in Spring/Summer tea...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Another overwhelming fan favorite!

I’m also a big fan of this tea. I was one of the lucky ones to get one of the pouches from the first batch which was a blend of Genmaicha plus Genmaicha Uji which is Genmaicha that’s been infused with Matcha. So, in an effort to recreate that stunning first batch, I blended an Organic Japanese Genmaicha and an organic Japanese Genmaicha with Matcha (Or Genmaicha Uji). I really prefer it with the Uji, the little bit of Matcha adds a really nice creaminess to the overall cup.

To this, I added marshmallow root and all-natural, organic flavors.

It’s a cuppa yum!

Ingredients: Organic Japanese Teas, organic toasted rice, marshmallow root and all-natural, organic flavors.

About 52teas View company

Got this for my birfffffday! It’s nice and tasty too.. love the marshmallow but wish it had more matcha in the blend like Samovar’s Ryokucha. Still great though!

I absolutely love this genmaicha. It tastes nothing like a marshmallow treat to me, however, it tastes and smells a lot like cream soda. I LOVE cream soda. Though, I only drink diet sodas and rarely do, at that, cream soda is my favorite of them all. Pairing my favorite green tea with my favorite soda flavor = instant staple in my cupboard.

Note: This is an edited version of a review I made to one of my Tumblr blogs. (It will appear on Steepster before it is posted to my blog, since I’m using a queue.)

Note 2: This is the reblend version with the marshmallow root.

I added: Sugar.
Smell (dry): Slightly sweet marshmallow treats (left out awhile, maybe). (Sometimes you catch an edge of bitterness to the smell, but otherwise it smells nice. I left the packet open on the table as I wrote the review and the area smells nommy.)
Smell (brewed): Matcha with a dash of rice tea scent.
Color (brewed): Greenish-gold

Taste (plain): Green tea. I’m not sure how else to put it. It doesn’t taste at all like it smells (either dry or brewed). It’s a fairly mellow green tea (not too bitter). I don’t taste the toasted rice, marshmallow root, or anything else.

Taste (sugared): With the sugar, the green tea seems to oddly taste more bitter. (I wonder if that’s the matcha I taste? I could smell it for sure, but didn’t know it was in the mix until I went back to the 52 Teas website) I can taste a bit of the toasted rice and a faint marshmallow flavor now. I can better taste the sweet/marshmallow flavor if I “gulp” and let it roll over my tongue rather than letting it linger.

Actually – I got to the end of the cup where I suppose most of the sugar settled and suddenly it tastes quite like a marshmallow treat… and then is quickly overpowered by the bitterness of the green tea. It may be a flavoring issue on my end, rather than the tea itself.

Other comments: This was the tea that started it all, really. Or, at least, my tendency to order from 52 Teas specifically. I was reading reviews of a different tea (the one I’ll review next) on Steepster and looked at their Top Something list of teas where I saw “Marshmallow Treat” listed. I was fascinated – and then immediately disappointed when I realized it was a limited edition flavor. But it made me browse the site and sign up for their newsletter.

And then, one day near December, it happened: They re-released the flavor! Iee! I ordered three packets of tea (Pancake Breakfast, Cinnamon Roll Honeybush, and this) and prepared myself for the taste explosion to come!

Unfortunately, even fresh it never lived up to the hype – for me.

Would I buy it again?: Sadly, no. Maybe if it were paired with another base? I love the concept and it’s easy to tell from the smell that they came close. But I’m not sure I like green tea anymore. I know it’s meant to be very good for you and I certainly want to like it, but the bitterness I generally taste turns me off. It also smells like what I want it to taste like, but doesn’t taste like it.

Noting: It’s pretty good for a green tea. It’s one of the least bitter green teas I’ve had, actually.

Would I recommend it?: If you like green tea and you like marshmallow treats, why not? It’s a limited edition flavor, but I know for sure they’ve re-released it at least once. So you always have a shot if you keep your eyes open for it. Just be prepared to work with it until you get the right flavor balance. It may be something like, “Add cream!” or “Add half a tablespoon of sugar.” – I don’t know.

PS: I did try it with creamer for my third cup on a whim and it was… interesting. It may be just my imagination that it tasted more like marshmallow, though. But it certainly utterly negated the bitterness. I may try it like this again.

Yummy! The dry leaf smells like a bag of marshmallows! mmm this tea is so delicious. The genmaicha makes it, but its not overpowering with the toasted rice, its just enough. The sweet and creamy marshmallow is just to die for! I used agave.

Flavors: Cream, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

This tea is amazing! Dare I say it may be my favorite flavored tea? I’m so sad I only have a small sample of this. Such a nice sweetness that is mellowed out by the roasty goodness from the toasty rice.

Would drink this year round if I could

I don’t like genmaicha, but I sampled this anyway. I didn’t prepare a full serving because I knew it wasn’t going to be my cup of tea, pun intended.

I can’t get past the taste of the toasted rice. The taste reminds of when you’re preparing rice and you sauté the rice in melted butter until it starts browning. That moment. That moment right before you add the liquid to the buttery browned (raw) rice. Genmaicha tastes the way that smells. There’s a green tea note in it as well, but that is so subtle compared to the taste of the rice on my tastebuds. I barely taste the marshmallow root, and the fragrance of the toasted rice really lingers in my head.

No bueno.

Evol Ving Ness

Genmaicha is like cilantro in that sense: either you love it or you hate it. Sorry that you didn’t find the joy in it today.

apieceofquiche

No worries. That’s so true – the comparison to cilantro, that is.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me… Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha!

Happy Christmas Eve everyone! The excitement for the upcoming holiday is so saturated in the air that I can almost cut off a slice and spread it on toast. My little Christmas tree is started to fill up with presents and the Christmas music playing all the goddamn place sounds less annoying today.

I am happy to see another genmaicha on the label today, I will admit. As I have raved in an earlier review, I freaking love genmaicha blends, and Anne’s in particular. And, as I have had this tea before, I decided to play around with the tea and up the temperature and add some awesome Hello Kitty green tea filled marshmallows that I got at the Japanese supermarket nearby. Oh my gawd. I don’t know if it’s sacrilegious to put marshmallows in tea, but the mallows and sweet green tea jelly took this already awesome brew to another level. 10/10 Would recommend A+

Check out the review on my blog: http://itstheteamonster.blogspot.com/2016/12/12-days-of-christmas-day-11.html

On the 11th Day of Christmas – I guess I don’t need to say that this is a classic favorite. When it’s not in stock, I’m asked when it will be in stock again. I’ve made a few marshmallow-y genmaicha blends since my first reblend of this tea, but this one always seems to be the resounding favorite.

And I guess I get it – because I’m rather fond of this tea too. The flavor combination is just right with this – where it tastes so much like liquefied marshmallow treat in a cup of green tea. Just the right amount of toasted rice and just the right amount of marshmallow. YUM! I’m glad that this one got reblended for the 12 Teas of Christmas box!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVEEVERYONE! Thank you for all the support you’ve shown us throughout the year. We are so thankful – we could not be doing what we do without all of you!

Evol Ving Ness

You deserve our support. You’ve been doing a splendid job over this past year and a half, Ms. 52Teas. Merry Christmas to you!

Indigobloom

A very merry Christmas to you as well!! this is a delish tea. I eagerly await the it is in my cupboard again :)

Arby

Yeah…I finished my package in the week after my box arrived (before the 12 days even started). I’m going to buy several full bags next time it is in stock. It is just too delicious! Merry Christmas! You’ve done such a good job with the company.

52Teas

Thank you!

Arby – the tea will be temporarily back in stock on the 28th – however, since you purchased the box, watch your email inbox the day after Christmas!

Very sad sipdown. :‘( Hope to have you back in my cupboard some day, delicious tea. In other news, I’m finishing up quite a few teas to get my cupboard under control (before my next three tea orders arrive. I’ve been bad and can’t stop myself from buying tea. How do you guys have the disipline to stop yourself?)

What discipline?

52Teas

Discipline? I bought a tea company to give me an excuse to have more tea. :)

Fjellrev

Aww, I really miss this one. I discipline myself by training myself to be too lazy to truly hit that “order” button haha. It’s been working!

Nattie

My secret is to make a strict month-by-month budget and plan out all the purchases I want to make. Then blow it and feel terrible.

Lol 52Teas Anne is making me feel better though :’)

Evol Ving Ness

I can only hope that I don’t start experimenting with blending teas.

Arby

I have three orders coming in the mail (Verdent, Teavivre, American Tea Room), and I’m pretty tempted to order from a few others (Yunnan Sourcing, Whispering Pines, GIFTfromNATURE on Etsy, and Tea Forte). Ugg, the struggle is real!

Arby

But I’ve been trying to sipdown 2 teas per day, and I’m working hard on drinking more tea per day to finish up some of my older stuff. The problem is I just remembered I also want to make a What-cha and Harney&Sons order. Thank goodness these companies don’t have free shipping on everything/lower free shipping minimums to Canada, or I’d have a dozen orders coming in the mail.

Oh happy day! I found my teeny remaining pouch of this. Now that I’ve been drinking mostly green, white, and oolongs, this one tastes even better if that’s possible. Toasty rice marshmallow scent rises from my cup and each sip is a glorious embrace of marshmallow, roasted rice nuttiness, and smooth green goodness.

Flavors: Green, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice