Lemon Cheesecake Bar Houjicha

Green Tea
Hojicha, Lemon Balm, Lemon Peel, Lemon Verbena, Lemongrass, Natural Flavours, Vanilla Bean
Creamy, Lemon, Sugar, Sweet, Lemongrass, Roasted, Vanilla
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “This was heavy on the lemon balm and didn’t have much cheesecake or vanilla notes in here. The base also wasn’t as roasty as most houjchas I have experienced in the past. I liked this but seemed a...” Read full tasting note
  • “A tea that I won in April! The previous version was on my wishlist and this was the reblend for this month. I wasn’t sure if Anne would be adding a V2 entry for the new version, so I’m posting...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yikes. Can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this one. It’s good!! but I find I have to really be in the mood for flavoured houjicha. Unflavoured is fine so I didn’t expect to discover that flavoured...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hmm. I’m a sucker for cheesecake, so I was excited about this flavor. It disappoints on that front. Ignoring the name though, it’s a pretty tasty blend. The tart lemon flavor and roasty...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

I’ve read a lot of comments on Steepster that have suggested that there are not enough flavored Houjicha teas out there, and I agree! So, when I started planning out this flavor, I thought that the warm, nutty flavor of the Houjicha would work perfectly as a base for my Lemon Cheesecake Bar recipe!

I start with a little bit of cheesecake flavors and add a touch of lemon (maybe a little more than a touch!) and a touch of vanilla bean to give it a sweet, creamy note. And then I aded my secret ingredient for delicious cheesecake bars: Pecans in the crust. So, I added a hint of pecan flavoring (don’t worry, the pecan flavoring is allergen-free!).

This is a delicious, dessert-y treat!

About 52teas View company

This was heavy on the lemon balm and didn’t have much cheesecake or vanilla notes in here. The base also wasn’t as roasty as most houjchas I have experienced in the past. I liked this but seemed a little flat considering its name and description. Totally something I would sip on whilst sick, as a sweet positive about it is that it was extremely soothing to drink, however, it was not what I was expecting.

52Teas

Did you have the newest reblend of this, or the one from our original batch?

Fjellrev

Oh, excellent point! I got this in the mystery box order back in the fall.

52Teas

Ah! If it was this past fall that you received it, then it was most likely our recent reblend – you won’t get as roasty a flavor with this one because – I believe the label should say “v.2” on it – meaning it’s a Houjicha/White Tea blend – I made the second version of it a Houjicha/White Tea blend because I had received comments that the roasty-toasty flavor of the original one was too strong to get much flavor other than the Houjicha. That particular reblend was crafted last March – so age might have something to do with the lack of flavor?

Fjellrev

Ah, ok. I threw out the pouch already, sorry! And I had it sealed until now, but nevertheless, I appreciated the lemon balm in it!

52Teas

OK – I don’t think the flavor would have faded if the pouch had been sealed – anyway – I’m glad you enjoyed the lemon balm part of it. :)

A tea that I won in April! The previous version was on my wishlist and this was the reblend for this month. I wasn’t sure if Anne would be adding a V2 entry for the new version, so I’m posting this in the old version. This blend is white teas added to the houjicha! I probably would like this blend better with the added white tea. Some white teas seem naturally lemony to me. There is definitely a lot more white tea here than houjicha. I can’t taste much of the houjicha at all, only hints of that roasted flavor. Sadly, NO cheesecake flavor for me. Huh. (I never seem to taste any cheesecake flavor in any of 52Teas.) But plenty of lemon — more like lemon verbena flavored than lemon grass but I always appreciate the many different lemon ingredients in a lemon blend. This blend isn’t special enough overall though. (And lower points for no noticeable cheesecake.)
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoon for a full mug// 25 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // 18 minutes after boiling // 3-4 minute steep

Also, I just recently watched the new Ghostbusters and I’m wondering how in the name of anything holy there is not a marshmallow man parade float for NYC? And this movie should have certainly given someone the idea if the previous marshmallow man did not. Something is not right in the world if there is not a StayPuft marshmallow man in a NYC parade. I like meta things.

Yikes. Can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this one.
It’s good!! but I find I have to really be in the mood for flavoured houjicha. Unflavoured is fine so I didn’t expect to discover that flavoured would be any different, with this type of tea specifically. Somehow it makes the liquor heavier. Go figure. Except for this last batch, which I cold brewed. and it was SO GOOD. and also the most vibrant in lemon, and cake. and cheese. and… well everything.
I find that too many lemony teas go off after awhile but so far this one hasn’t. At all!

Ok. Tea festival time tomorrow. YAY!!!

Hmm. I’m a sucker for cheesecake, so I was excited about this flavor. It disappoints on that front. Ignoring the name though, it’s a pretty tasty blend. The tart lemon flavor and roasty houjicha flavor balance each other out. There’s a hint of creamy vanilla that softens the tartness of the lemon and makes the flavor more evocative of dessert than fresh fruit. It’s also quite pleasant cold. Think more lemon meringue than lemon cheesecake. This was a nice enough blend, but I’m not heartbroken to say it’s a sipdown.

So we brewed up a giant mug of this at sil’s place yesterday so that she, omgsrsly, kitenna, indigabloom and I could try it without committing to an entire cup. And I do believe this was courtesy of indigobloom, so thank you!

I do not really like lemon-flavoured things, and I’m a person who typically adds things to my tea. I’m also not even entirely sure I know how hogicha is different from other green teas, so I had my reservations when I began to sip it. But I was surprised at how much I liked it. The lemon wasn’t overwhelming which I instantly liked, but there was enough flavor to make me really think I would enjoy a cup of this without additions. I really hope this is reblended, because I’ll certainly be getting myself some if that’s the case.

It was so very lovely to meet up with people I’d been talking to for years. Everyone got along so well, and I only wish more of you were actually there. I can’t wait to do it again!

Also, everyone needs to know that in another lifetime, sil actually worked as an independent living skills specialist for blind people! I’ve recently purchased a bonavida variable temp kettle, and because Mr. Keychange is blind as well, when it arrived at my house, we kind of opened it and just marveled at how short and fat and cute it was, and how neat the spout looks. So I hauled it over to sil’s place, and we practiced memorizing
how many times buttons needed to be pressed, how to change things up, etc. But the real kicker was when we practiced pouring. We started with cold water so I could get used to the motions, but then sil was like “we’ve gotta up this game, biatch, i’ma fill this bitch up with water that we’ll boil now.” and off she went. Pretty soon, there was a kettle, each part of which was hotter than hell sitting in front of me. But we worked out a way to line it up and test to see if it was lined up properly, and then I began to pour. And holy mother of god it worked. Sil was great at policing my left hand, which wanted to creep up to feel the spout. She was like “uh uh uh! get that hand out of there! you won’t be able to use it when the kettle’s boiling hot!”. So very clever! Anyway, everyone just needed to know that. some people are just so naturally good at striking a balance between sensitivity and expectations of your potential and skill, and it’s just so wonderful to see. The vast majority of people I meet have wonderful intentions and want to be helpful, but few are that intuitive.

Can’t wait to see all of you guys again!

0 OZ / 0 ML
Roswell Strange

Sounds like such a phenomenal time! And that’s wonderful you worked something out with the kettle!

keychange

Thanks! We need to get you down here at some point!

I tried this tea yesterday along with everyone else, and I really really liked it. The toasty houjicha, the soft lemon… yum.

I was sad it wasn’t in stock, but I’ll definitely consider ordering when it comes around again.

tried this one yesterday courtesy of indigobloom I am a fan. I really enjoyed the softness of the lemon in this one, blended with the hojicha. It would be on my re-order list now that 52 teas has been taken over. First experience with the ‘new’ 52 teas and i’m a happy camper!

OMGsrsly

This one is on my order list for sure. I mostly got tasters of the teas, because I still have so much tea to drink. But I’d consider a big one of this since houjicha is roasted and thus has less caffeine.

yea i’d want more of this one too

Sampled a bit of this from Indigobloom as well. Although it tasted ok (roasty, sweet lemon), I think I may have burnt my tongue a bit, which was sad. I believe I have some of this en route, so will get to have another chance at it (or a few) in the future.

Plunkybug

Oooh, yuck, burnot tongues are the worst! Hope the buds feel better soon!

Kittenna

Seem to be ok now. It wasn’t too severe, thankfully!

Dried leaves: Mmmmm, lemon. And then, just behind the lemon… I don’t know if I’d have identified it as cheesecake, but it does fit that profile. It did smell like a lemony, creamy, dessert, though.

First sip: lemon in the forefront, the sugar and creaminess in the background. The sugar is kind of WAY in the background – just enough to evoke dessert without actually being sweet.

This is another one that might evoke the dessert better with added cream and sugar. That said, I like this one a lot, the way it is.

Flavors: Creamy, Lemon, Sugar, Sweet

150 °F / 65 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This is another one of the reblends from the new 52Teas as of July 2015, and I must say it’s my favorite so far – it makes a terrific iced tea, something I drink a LOT of in July. Though there are several lemon-flavor ingredients, the lemon flavors do not overpower the tea – the hojicha is a very, very smooth green tea and the flavor shines through. Not only is it great as iced tea, but it does well chilling overnight in the fridge, which many flavored teas don’t do – in some, the flavoring oils rise to the top and turn bitter if they sit overnight, so they only taste good when freshly iced. This tea, however, does not turn bitter. I make it by the quart and chill it. No sugar needed for my tastes.