Blackberry Custard Tart Green Tea

Green Tea
Blackberry, Green Tea, Natural Flavours
Berry, Creamy, Custard, Fruity, Green, Milk, Sweet, Blackberry, Floral, Tannin, Astringent, Toasty, Vanilla, Berries, Cream, Jam, Butter
Medium
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Arby

• “Just opened this today… another victim of having too many teas (things get misplaced and I forget I ever had them!) Anyhow, this tastes much like Boo-Berry Cotton Candy, with an added...” Read full tasting note
  • “Be careful not to oversteep! I accidentally left the teabag in and the green tea became astringent, as greens unfortunately tend to. The water was only 70 C and the teabag was only in for 6 minutes...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am pushing myself to drink more green and white teas: teas that are usually not the first ones I reach for. Honestly, I haven’t made up my mind about fruit-flavoured green teas. It...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Recommended brewing: 1 1/2 tsp. tea to 12 oz. 180F water. Steep 2 minutes.

About 52teas View company

Just opened this today… another victim of having too many teas (things get misplaced and I forget I ever had them!) Anyhow, this tastes much like Boo-Berry Cotton Candy, with an added custardy/creamy aspect. So in other words, pretty yum. Sweet candy blueberry mixed with cream and a nice smooth green base (with a short steep, of course).

Be careful not to oversteep! I accidentally left the teabag in and the green tea became astringent, as greens unfortunately tend to. The water was only 70 C and the teabag was only in for 6 minutes or so. I have troubles with teas that oversteep, and I’m really quick to judge a tea as bad if it has any hint of bitterness or astringency. I will try to keep this in mind when scoring this blend, as it was my fault for not taking the teabag out a few minutes earlier.

The blackberry flavour is very natural and mellow. There is a touch of something tasty, maybe it is the green tea. I’m not familiar enough with greens to distinguish if it is because of the base or a flavouring added.

There is something similar to milk (slightly creamy), but more like lighter skim or 1% cow’s milk. I’m also getting some vanilla flavour.

Overall, a nice balance of creamy and blackberry, but I don’t like bases that are so finicky. I think this would have been better with a yellow or oolong. I really, really like the blackberry flavouring and if not for the green base, this might have scored in the 90s. It is a very good tea, but probably best appreciated by those who like greens.

Flavors: Astringent, Blackberry, Creamy, Fruity, Milk, Sweet, Vanilla

1 tsp

Honestly, I haven’t made up my mind about fruit-flavoured green teas. It seems hard to get the balance of tea and flavour right.

That said, this one, a blend of organic Chun Mee and Gunpowder, is good. The blackberry overlay is mellow. The butter crust is gently there. Nice.

The flavouring disappears by the second steeping and the lovely green remains.

Flavors: Blackberry, Butter

Fjellrev

Totally agree with you about fruit-flavoured greens.

Plunkybug

Agreed on the flavoured green teas…the balance is hard. Sometimes I am ok with it being more fruit than tea, but it depends on what it is.