Cranberry Creme Black Tea

Cinnamon, Cranberry, Creamy, Vanilla, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina / BooksandTea
Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

From 52teas

I wanted to create a cranberry flavored black tea – but I didn’t want to go for a straightforward cranberry black tea because that’s been done. At first, I was going to go with a cranberry custard pie flavor but my initial taste tests of that blend proved to be underwhelming. So instead, I went with a cranberry tea with a creamy custard-y flavor. It has a tangy cranberry note but the edgier, tartier flavors of the cranberry are softened by the sweet, vanilla creme notes. It’s tasty!

About 52teas View company

My work secret Santa got me the golden branches glass teacup from Davids so I thought what better way to christen my festive new mug than with my festive sample of this tea courtesy of Kittenna. Thank you Kittenna!!

Anyways, when I saw creme, I was immediately intrigued. Add to that the bright whole cranberries and you have me sold. Except, if I’m being honest, this is not what I hoped for. I am finding it a touch bland. The base is smooth enough and I could consider that the creme but given the two giant cranberries in my cup, I just anticipated much more flavor. I didn’t have this stored in the best conditions so it could just be me but as it is, I am finding this quite unrepresentative of the 52 Teas flavors I know and love. Oh well. Still fun to try :)

Thank you again Kittenna!!

Evol Ving Ness

omigodyes! I remember this tea. I remember loving this tea. And now I shall read your note about it. Now that I’ve contained my enthusiasm, just barely.

Once I saw that this tea had whole cranberries in it, I went gimme and added it to the cart. Moar cranberries!

The ingredients for this include black tea, vanilla pieces, freeze-dried cranberries, and cinnamon chips. And yup, the dry leaf delivers; the spoonful that I took a huge cranberry inside it.

The dry tea smells sweet but muted: although I can smell the fruitiness of the cranberry and the sweetness of the vanilla and cinnamon, it doesn’t have the vibrant bounce I expected. The smell was a cross between cough syrup (unfortunate, I know) and those Campino fruit-and-cream candies.

Luckily, the tea seemed more promising after brewing it up. I took 1.5 teaspoons, let it steep in just-boiled water for 3 minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes to cool, added some agave nectar, and was greeted with a tall dark cup of gorgeousness:

I smelled cranberry juice and vanilla, but underneath all of that, like a big beautiful mattress of deliciousness, was CHOCOLATE. It smelled like dark chocolate covered cranberries!

And it TASTED like dark chocolate coverered cranberries too! The base tea comes through rich and thick, like dark chocolate, and the vanilla pieces here give it an amazing depth and fullness of flavour; this tea has such a thick, full mouthfeel that I felt like a chipmunk with big, fat, pinchy cheeks crammed with tea.

Seriously. Chocolate covered cranberries. I was not expecting that.

Full review at: http://booksandtea.ca/2016/03/another-52teas-roundup/

Fjellrev

Oh, this sounds like such a tasty combination.

Christina / BooksandTea

It appears to be sold out on the 52Teas site, but “Boston” from H&S sounds like it might be similar: black tea, cranberry, and almond.

I love Boston!

Christina / BooksandTea

There’s a site that sells H&S teas in Canada, but they only do Boston in 100g tins. Way too much to buy at once. If they had like, 20g samples, maybe even 50g tins, I’d consider it.

Evol Ving Ness

I am up for splitting a tin of Boston if anyone is game.

My taster bag is quickly disappearing and I’m kicking myself for not purchasing a large bag (or several large bags, truthfully) when I had the chance. The tea isn’t as creamy as I was hoping for. In fact it’s more vanilla than it is cream, but I can forgive that because the cranberry flavor is on point – very natural, slightly sweet and moderately tart. The spice is, thankfully, barely there. It just highlights the cranberry flavor and makes this tea feel very autumnal. I’ve been really enjoying this tea hot which is rare for me. Apart from breakfast teas, I tend to only drink black teas iced unless they’re prepared as lattes. This might be one of my favorite teas featuring the cranberry.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cranberry, Creamy, Vanilla

Shake, shake, shake. I reach into the bag with my teaspoon to spoon the leaf into my steeper and somehow I managed to drop and fling the very last cranberry somewhere. I looked everywhere and that cranberry just would not be found. How very sad.

I love this tea. Everything about it works for me. Nice degree of tartness. Just the barest hint of cinnamon. A dash of cream.

Yes, this favourite is rapidly disappearing.

Just the right one for my 100th note.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cranberry, Cream

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
TeaNTees

Woohoo! Happy 100 :)

Christina / BooksandTea

I have this one and have been meaning to try it. Sounds yum.

Congrats on 100!

Thank you. :)

TeaTiff

I had this one again this afternoon. This is really a delightful tea! Happy 100!!!

Thank you. :)

There are only 2 of us that own this tea? Really? This is AWESOME! Creamy, tart cranberry, slightly sweet, a base that supports the tea, and no astringency. I am not usually a black tea fruit fan, but something about this one made me pick it up and I am really glad I did. If you need another taster to add to your cart throw this one in. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Sipdown (121)!

Happy New Year Steepster!!!

It’s not technically midnight yet for me (I’ve still got a half hour to go), but this is going to be my last tea of the year because I am so incredibly tired. I’ve been awake now since 7AM and I really, really need to get some sleep.

This tea comes from the delightful Kittenna who I got to meet up with, albeit super briefly, for the third time now. I wish I hadn’t worked today so we could have done something a little longer, but as it stands she popped by tonight and dropped off some tea samples. Mostly a lot of the newer 52teas blends, but a couple other cool looking ones too. For the record, and Kittenna left the first thing my little sister said was “she’s really pretty”! Which is totally true, but it was very cute.

Also, darn you Kittenna for sneaking money into that tea package! I told you we were squared on all the joint orders we’ve done this year and you just HAD to be sneaky about it!

This tea was the one I was most eager to dig into from her samples; I absolutely ADORE cranberry tea. This is a pretty good, simpler cranberry black tea. I really, really get a good amount of natural semi-sweet cranberry notes and that flavour gets a bit more depth from the flavour of cinnamon and the brisk black base. However, I felt the “creme” aspect of the tea was lacking. Sure, this was SUPER tasty as a simple cranberry black tea but nothing about it was necessarily soft or silky in the way that you’d expect cream/custard/vanilla to be. To be perfectly honest though, I know I’m comparing this to Harney & Sons’ Boston Blend which is kind of my gold standard for creamy cranberry teas. There are similarities, but Harney does the cream element better.

This has a much more realistic, natural cranberry flavour though.

rosebudmelissa

I wonder how the two would taste blended together

Roswell Strange

That’s a good and intriguing question! If I wind up with more of this in the future I’ll certainly test it out :)