Mango Sticky Rice Genmaicha

Fruit Green Blend
Coconut, Green Tea, Mango, Natural Flavours, Popped Rice, Sesame
Autumn Leaf Pile, Butter, Coconut, Cream, Dry Grass, Mango, Sweet, Thick, Toasted Rice, Creamy, Grass, Rice, Toasted, Toasty, Green, Roasted, Pine, Tropical, Vegetal
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “Sipdown! I enjoyed this one, even though I’m not a coconut lover. It has a nice realistic coconut flavor that goes well with the genmaicha. It really does remind me of coconut sticky rice, which...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hot, I couldn’t taste any mango at all. When it cooled off, I did notice some fruitiness that went well with the toasty genmaicha flavor, though I would have liked even more mango. I could picture...” Read full tasting note
  • “I absolutely love mango teas, and I absolutely love genmaichas, so I was very excited to try this. I got loads of coconut flavor, and the distinct popped rice, but not mango to my palate.” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown and time to write about it. :) Toasted rice, good genmaicha, the aroma of coconuts and mango… The taste is very natural, nothing artificial. The mango flavor is a little light for me but...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for February 8, 2016!

I love the Mango Sticky Rice dessert that is offered in my favorite Thai food restaurant. It reminds me a bit of rice pudding but with coconut and mango and even just a hint of caramelized flavor to it. So I decided pretty early on when Frank approached me about taking over 52Teas that I would need to create a Mango Sticky Rice dessert in tea form – and really, what base is more perfect than a Matcha infused Genmaicha base? I love the hint of creamy texture that the Matcha adds to this and the popped rice not only adds a hint of nutty rice flavor but also accentuates the touch of caramel flavor that I added to this blend.

This has the flavor of mango sticky rice but not the calories! YUM!

organic ingredients: green teas, popped rice, freeze-dried mango, toasted coconut, toasted sesame seeds and all-natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

2097 tasting notes

Sipdown!

I enjoyed this one, even though I’m not a coconut lover. It has a nice realistic coconut flavor that goes well with the genmaicha. It really does remind me of coconut sticky rice, which is amazing. The grassiness of the green tea detracts a bit, but the short steep helps curb that.

I think I got a bit more mango in this last cup as well, maybe I had more mango cubes? Either way, it does conjure up the thought of sweet coconut-infused rice with a few mango slices perched on top.

Flavors: Coconut, Creamy, Grass, Mango, Rice, Sweet, Toasted

Courtney

Congrats on the sipdown!

Cameron B.

Thanks dear! Only 233 more teas to go… XD

Courtney

You got this!

Hot, I couldn’t taste any mango at all. When it cooled off, I did notice some fruitiness that went well with the toasty genmaicha flavor, though I would have liked even more mango. I could picture this flavor as mango sticky rice. I’m enjoying it more as I’m considering the flavors. A ton of coconut went into this cup, but I don’t taste any. That’s okay with me though! The second steep tasted similar to the first.

Flavors: Coconut, Toasted Rice

Sipdown and time to write about it. :)

Toasted rice, good genmaicha, the aroma of coconuts and mango… The taste is very natural, nothing artificial. The mango flavor is a little light for me but you can taste it in the finish. Toasted rice is the main note, and it’s a very creamy feeling tea.

52Teas has made me rethink coconut teas. I love fresh coconut but hate artificial tasting coconut so other than eating coconut straight, I generally stay away from any coconut flavored foods, drinks.. Etc. In their teas though, both the aroma and taste of the coconut is really good.

Flavors: Coconut, Creamy, Mango, Toasted Rice, Toasty

derk

Gah, I’m the same about coconut in tea. This and the Foggy Morning reviews are tempting me to dip my toes.

Kawaii433

hehe derk… This month’s tea is a coconut banana pie o.O. Now I’m tempted to go try that too.

tea-sipper

Kawaii, the coconut banana cream pie was my FAVORITE blend from the previous owner of 52Teas, Frank. And I’ve tried so many teas from 52Teas over the years, so that’s saying something. haha. You should give it a try!

Roswell Strange

(It’s hard to go wrong with a 52Teas banana blend in general…)

Mastress Alita

Unless you hate banana, like me. :-P But I will get on the soapbox and say I am absolutely cursed with my coconut going bad so fast, yet the coconut 52Teas uses is not only some of the best tasting coconut I’ve ever had in tea, I also have yet to have it go bad on me while every other coconut blend in my house is doomed. I am a fiend for their Foggy Coconut and Coconut French Toast with Cardamom Maple Syrup.

Frolic

I missed out on this one and I’m really hoping it comes back for the 12 teas of Christmas.

derk

Oh, Foggy Coconut, that’s the name. Do want.

Kawaii433

tea-sipper, I’’m going to get it then. hehe
Roswell, I agree. I have loved all their banana teas I’ve tried.
Mastress Alita, bah about hating bananas :P and I remember a post or two of yours that you mentioned your coconut tea going bad.

Kawaii433

Frolic, there are a few, especially the banana ones, that come back soon.:)
Derk, ok, I’ll check it out. Thanks ^^

Frolic

I’m not a huge banana fan abut boy do I love coconut.

Kawaii433

Ah hehe, ok. I was just saying that I’m like you that I hope some teas come back. :D

tea-sipper

Kawaii, I hope you like the coconut banana cream pie. I will feel better missing out this time around if you buy it. :D

tea-sipper :D

This is our Featured Reblend for February – and unfortunately (due to having less Genmaicha in stock than I realized) there isn’t a whole lot of it left after fulfilling subscriptions.

This tastes so much like I remember it – nice toasty rice flavor from the genmaicha – a sweet, custardy note, a touch of mango (that hits toward the finish and lingers) and toasted coconut. Sweet, yummy, creamy deliciousness. A nice representation, I think, of my favorite Thai dessert.

Frolic

Awww I’m sad I missed this. I was going to buy it even though I have way too much tea and just received a 52teas order but I decided to sleep on it. I’ll take it as a sign from the universe I need to drink more tea before I can buy any more.

Is there any chance you’ll reblend it again anytime soon though?

52Teas

Probably not soon. Maybe – if it does well in the 12 Teas of Christmas poll? This one takes more steps to blend than most of my other teas because I toast the sesame seeds and coconut and it requires more steps (not just because of the toasting) – and longer cure times as a result – it’s worth it in the long run, of course, but it’s not something that I can easily put on the slate to reblend any time.

Found a wee bit of this, thankfully. It’s been a challenging week and yes, I know it is only Tuesday. You know, like when the universe decides to pour. Thank goodness for meditation. Seriously.

I like this a lot. Totally works for me. There’s plenty of mango and the genmaicha is just what it is supposed to be—green with roasty toasty rice. The mango lends a bit of sweetness and the green and roasty adds that other je ne sais pas quoi.

Not quite sure what wasn’t working for others with this one, possibly that it is not overly mango or overly sweet. For me, it is just perfect as is. Nothing missing. Nothing over the top.

Flavors: Green, Mango, Rice, Roasted, Toasty

52Teas

I love this tasting note. :)

Rosehips

I know exactly what sort of week you are talking about. Glad you had a tasty tea to help!

1908 tasting notes

I’m a huge mango fan and I’d like to try making stick rice pudding one of these days (gotta get my hands on some glutineous rice) so this tea was a no-brainer for me.

I was hit by a lovely strong mango odor when I opened the pouch and I couldn’t stop sniffing the tea, it was so good! It isn’t as prominent in the flavour of the hot tea, at least initially, but as it cooled off it crept back in, giving the tea a great fruity tang. The coconut is in the background more as a hint but it’s more of the nutty flavour of shredded coconut rather than the rich, creamy flavours of coconut milk which I think are what’s missing from this tea.

#2021steepstersipdown

Drank this tea for National Popcorn Day as part of the Sipdown Challenge thread by Mastress Alita. I think I need to find a way to set better reminders for myself because I nearly forgot, and it was only seeing a note here on Steepster that reminded me. I know I missed National Ginger/Marzipan Day, so maybe I’ll have a “catch up” mug of something for that tomorrow…

This was from the 52Teas Advent last year, and while I really enjoy this tea I’d honestly just forgotten I owned it – so it was a really good excuse digging through samples looking for a Genmaicha because it allowed me to rediscover it. More mango forward and fruity, with that sort of pine-y mango note that I personally adore in a mango tea. Good level of sweetness, and the pine-y notes actually complimented the toasty brown rice quite well. Add to that a slight coconut creaminess? You’ve got yourself a divine cuppa, my friends!

Tiffany :)

This is one I got a bunch of last year from 52teas (love MSR and genmaicha and 52teas) but haven’t gotten to it yet – sounds like from this tasting note I have something to look forward to! Ironically, last week(?) I did pull out about 3-4 genmaicha from 52teas to put in my “to sip” tea stash pile.

I made this. Then I made 2 other teas. Then I made dumplings. Then I ate the dumplings. Then I drank this tea. Well, somehow that brought out the mango.

Evol Ving Ness

Bon appétit! What kind of dumplings did you make?

Nattie

Mmm dumplings…

VariaTEA

They were pork, mushroom and cabbage dumplings :)

Nattie

Gah I need dumplings now. I’m sold.

No reviews for this?? Really? Anyways, tried this a couple days ago and thought it was okay, though weak. Only today did it occur to me that I believe I severely underleafed, using only a slightly heaped tsp in a 10-ish ounce mug, when I would normally use about 2 tsp. Not sure what I was thinking, but I’m excited to try it properly soon!

Regardless, I was able to taste the mango and some lovely custardy/coconutty flavours, which I can only imagine will be better with a bit more leaf!