Mango Sticky Rice Genmaicha

Fruit Green Blend
Coconut, Green Tea, Mango, Natural Flavours, Popped Rice, Sesame
Green, Mango, Rice, Roasted, Toasty, Coconut, Pine, Toasted Rice, Tropical, Vegetal
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for February 8, 2016!

I love the Mango Sticky Rice dessert that is offered in my favorite Thai food restaurant. It reminds me a bit of rice pudding but with coconut and mango and even just a hint of caramelized flavor to it. So I decided pretty early on when Frank approached me about taking over 52Teas that I would need to create a Mango Sticky Rice dessert in tea form – and really, what base is more perfect than a Matcha infused Genmaicha base? I love the hint of creamy texture that the Matcha adds to this and the popped rice not only adds a hint of nutty rice flavor but also accentuates the touch of caramel flavor that I added to this blend.

This has the flavor of mango sticky rice but not the calories! YUM!

organic ingredients: green teas, popped rice, freeze-dried mango, toasted coconut, toasted sesame seeds and all-natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

Found a wee bit of this, thankfully. It’s been a challenging week and yes, I know it is only Tuesday. You know, like when the universe decides to pour. Thank goodness for meditation. Seriously.

I like this a lot. Totally works for me. There’s plenty of mango and the genmaicha is just what it is supposed to be—green with roasty toasty rice. The mango lends a bit of sweetness and the green and roasty adds that other je ne sais pas quoi.

Not quite sure what wasn’t working for others with this one, possibly that it is not overly mango or overly sweet. For me, it is just perfect as is. Nothing missing. Nothing over the top.

Flavors: Green, Mango, Rice, Roasted, Toasty

52Teas

I love this tasting note. :)

Rosehips

I know exactly what sort of week you are talking about. Glad you had a tasty tea to help!

1905 tasting notes

I’m a huge mango fan and I’d like to try making stick rice pudding one of these days (gotta get my hands on some glutineous rice) so this tea was a no-brainer for me.

I was hit by a lovely strong mango odor when I opened the pouch and I couldn’t stop sniffing the tea, it was so good! It isn’t as prominent in the flavour of the hot tea, at least initially, but as it cooled off it crept back in, giving the tea a great fruity tang. The coconut is in the background more as a hint but it’s more of the nutty flavour of shredded coconut rather than the rich, creamy flavours of coconut milk which I think are what’s missing from this tea.

Happy Valentine’s Day Steepster!

Anyone have any big/special plans? Personally, I work this evening at DT so nothing related to the holiday for me not that I’m seeing anyone right now anyway but I did do something for me today! I shaved my hair, which had regrown to about inches long since I last shaved everything completely off, into a mohawk! It’s been since highschool since I last rocked a mohawk, and let me just say that having one now feels good. Plus, for my first time shaving a mohawk all by myself I think I fucking nailed it.

Also, Wasabi posed with me!

Apart from that, I’m just enjoying drinking good tea and listening to some killed music while I have the apartment all to myself. Oh – also I put together little Valentine’s cards for my DAVIDsTEA coworkers with a personalized tea sample for each of them depending on their tastes. That’s why I’m drinking this tea; I measured out a cup for my friend Kandyce who likes flavoured tea, specifically things that are either fruity or just kind of weird. I think this ticks off both criteria?

And then as I was measuring her tea, I of course had to make myself a cup too. I was surprised by this; 52Teas does flavoured genmaicha well but usually the additional flavour is pretty subtle. In the case of this tea, I thought the mango was REALLY strong/bold and prominent. That’s not to say I didn’t like it; in fact I found it to be super realistic, natural, and both ripe and juicy tasting. It was very good, but covered a lot of the roastiness from the genmaicha. The latter was there though; it was like you were hit with a wave of intense, rich mango and then as that faded/the initial impact wore off there was smooth, subtle roastyness and sweet coconut notes. Ultimately I would have liked a touch more roastyness/“sticky rice” flavour but it’s hard to criticize too much because even if that aspect wasn’t completely nailed in my opinion it did still taste amazing.

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCsg4U3iqQ&index=8&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ

I listened to a lot of Parov Stelar while drinking this; I’ve been on a HUGE electro swing/nu jazz kick lately and Parov Stelar is like the best of the best. This was the song I got most into though while I was drinking this. The volume was on max, and there was some serious dancing taking place.

Flavors: Coconut, Mango, Pine, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Tropical, Vegetal

I made this. Then I made 2 other teas. Then I made dumplings. Then I ate the dumplings. Then I drank this tea. Well, somehow that brought out the mango.

Evol Ving Ness

Bon appétit! What kind of dumplings did you make?

Nattie

Mmm dumplings…

VariaTEA

They were pork, mushroom and cabbage dumplings :)

Nattie

Gah I need dumplings now. I’m sold.

No reviews for this?? Really? Anyways, tried this a couple days ago and thought it was okay, though weak. Only today did it occur to me that I believe I severely underleafed, using only a slightly heaped tsp in a 10-ish ounce mug, when I would normally use about 2 tsp. Not sure what I was thinking, but I’m excited to try it properly soon!

Regardless, I was able to taste the mango and some lovely custardy/coconutty flavours, which I can only imagine will be better with a bit more leaf!