Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jelly Black Tea

Black Fruit Blend
Black Teas, Freeze Dried Raspberries, Natural Flavours
Berries, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Nutty, Peanut, Raspberry, Sweet, Tannin, Thick, Berry, Cocoa, Tannic
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 18 oz / 525 ml

• “Have I actually not reviewed this yet? I’ve had it several times hot, although have yet to try it cold. Tasty black base tea-thick, malty, neither sweet, nor overly tannic. It goes well with the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown I got a sample of this from Kittenna and unfortunately I have not stored it all that wonderfully so this is mostly just black tea and a slightly seedy flavor. Still I am grateful to...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve had this one a few times since I bought it but just now writing a tasting note. The first time I tried it I remember thinking “This is the BEST raspberry tea”. Oh man, the raspberry was so...” Read full tasting note
  • “Took this into work and forgot we had no milk. Dur! It was ok… but nothing special. Definitely nutty, and just a tiny bit jammy. The consistency was pretty consistent with “pb&j” though,...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for February 22, 2016!

I’ll disclose a little secret – this tea made me very nervous.

You see, I’m one of those unusual people that don’t like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I felt very much the oddball growing up – everyone else liked peanut butter and jelly. I like peanut butter. I like jelly. I just don’t like these two together. I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I like peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwiches. I like peanut butter and butter toast. I even like peanut butter sandwiches. Just not jelly. And I like jelly toast and I probably would like a jelly sandwich if I were so inclined to make one although it doesn’t sound like a very satisfying sort of lunch.

So what I’m trying to say is that peanut butter and jelly just isn’t my thing. So when one of my Kickstarter backers who purchased the “Be a 52Teas tea of the week creator” incentive and selected a peanut butter and jelly tea as his tea of the week flavor – I got just a wee bit nervous and I hoped that since it’s a tea maybe, just maybe, I’ll like these flavors together.

And I do! This has a really pleasing raspberry flavor. The peanut butter is a softer note – and really, if I were to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I think that’s how I’d make it for myself – light on the peanut butter with a big smear of raspberry jelly! Sweet tart raspberry, a smooth, nutty peanut butter note atop a blend of Nilgiri and Assam teas. Way better than I could imagine peanut butter and jelly tasting!

organic ingredients: black teas, roasted & salted sunflower seeds, freeze-dried raspberries and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

Tasty black base tea-thick, malty, neither sweet, nor overly tannic. It goes well with the fruity (and slightly sweet) raspberry flavour. The sunflower seeds somehow taste like peanutbutter. I’m not sure how that sorcery works, but it tastes /just/ like peanut butter. Magic?

Flavors: Berries, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Nutty, Peanut, Raspberry, Sweet, Tannin, Thick

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 19 OZ / 550 ML

Sipdown

I got a sample of this from Kittenna and unfortunately I have not stored it all that wonderfully so this is mostly just black tea and a slightly seedy flavor. Still I am grateful to Kittenna for that chance to try this out.

I’ve had this one a few times since I bought it but just now writing a tasting note. The first time I tried it I remember thinking “This is the BEST raspberry tea”. Oh man, the raspberry was so good but any “peanut butter” was lacking. This time around, the raspberry was slightly muted and more of the sunflower seed saltiness made an appearance. The saltiness of the sunflower seeds give it a slight peanut butter flavor, but I wouldn’t mind some other ingredient to make it taste like peanut butter. I guess the peanut butter/ raspberry notes really depend upon what is in the scoop when you add it to the infuser. I did notice three small pieces of raspberry…. but quite a few sunflower seeds! I hope I can find the magic of the first steep session again, but I do appreciate the peanut butter this time around. I couldn’t really tell this is a Nilgiri/Assam base but I love that combo and wish I could have noticed that more. It’s a great idea for a blend!
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons // 12 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep

Took this into work and forgot we had no milk. Dur!
It was ok… but nothing special. Definitely nutty, and just a tiny bit jammy. The consistency was pretty consistent with “pb&j” though, which was nice.
More experimentation needed!

So, I broke some rules at work yesterday. But, it didn’t really hurt anyone so it doesn’t count, right?

Basically – I go in to work every Saturday to work in my department because I get Tuesday’s off for classes. Normally, my department works 7:30-4:00 weekdays and then gets weekends off. I’m literally the ONLY exception to this rule, so when I come in on Saturdays I’m literally the only person in the back warehouse/production area when there’s usually 35+ of us. It’s very lonely/boring having no one to talk to for eight hours, and in the case of yesterday it was actually ten hours since I was putting in some overtime. So the rules I broke were that one I brought something other than water into the back to drink on shift (tea, obviously). And two, I was listening to music on my iPod when we’re not allowed to have them with us on shift. But a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do, no?

Starting with the tea – I’m actually floored at how much this really did taste like peanut butter and jelly, especially since it doesn’t have peanuts in it. I can’t remember who’s review I saw – but someone said this was better cold brewed so that’s what I made it as and I have to say that any hesitation I had about the flavours not delivering was quashed. The first flavour to really hit me with each sip was the raspberry. And, I think it’s important to note that there really is a strong flavour difference between raspberry jam/jelly and fresh from the garden raspberries. It’s something about how the sweetness hits you, and the acidity/tang. This was 100% raspberry jam and not just a more generic raspberry flavour.

It transitioned really nicely with the peanut butter notes which made up more of the mid sip and the super, super nutty finish and aftertaste. This was the element I was most skeptical about because peanuts are a hard flavour to emulate; but I totally got it. I really, 100% felt like I could have been nomming on a PB&J while I was working – even though that would be FAR from advisable givent he amount of dirty/unwashed donations I handle in a day on shift. Yuck.

Now, here comes the criticism…

Does this tea nail the flavour? In my opinion, absolutely. Is it a flavour that translates well to a beverage? I’m not nearly so convinced about that. I mean, it wasn’t bad in any way but it was really, really weird and I don’t know that it’s something I’d want to drink on a really common/casual basis. I’m probably just so used to eating PB&J in that one specific format: on bread. I’ll have to see if I can break out of that preconceived notion a bit the more I drink this.

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIA1XQnAv5s&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ&index=3

This is a ‘new to me’ band that I’m liking a lot so far – and I had my iPod filled with their music to just sort of get used to it/learn it and figure out what I do and don’t like. Stumbled upon this song which I barely knew/had only heard once while drinking this tea and was like “Damn, fucking nailed it!”. I’m sure if you take a listen it’s very obvious why these two go together. Like, in your face obvious – but obvious pairings can be good pairings.

I will say, I saw the music video for it for the first time while looking for a link to post in this tasting note though – and while the video is fitting for the song in it’s own way, it IS a weird ass fucking video though…

2068 tasting notes

So Super Starling! and myself had a tea swap a couple of weeks ago, and then I got swept up into some intense work, and then a trip, and so I’m just getting around to logging the teas into my cupboard, and giving them a try!
I love peanut butter. I am a devotee of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. So this was an exciting thing to find in the package!
I get nuts, I fully get nuts, but I’m not sure that I get peanuts. It tastes more like cashews and maybe almonds to me. The jam aspect is missing entirely, and the mouthfeel is not as thick or creamy as I was hoping for.
But there is something lurking in there, greatness is possible! I have a little more to tinker around with. and tinker I shall.
But many thanks to Super Starling! for letting me try!

Evol Ving Ness

My experience too. Disappointing because the name held such promise.

Super Starling!

I’ve found that if you over-leaf (about 1.5 times as much) and over-steep (about 1.5 times as long), it’s good. But still not as good as a peanut butter sandwich itself.

Evol Ving Ness

Hmm, I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

I was thinking also that doing this half and half with one of DT’s over-sweetened and over-fruited teas might work. Might.

Not a huge fan of this tea; it was definitely nutty (peanuts, I’m not so sure), but the jam aspect was lacking for me. Perhaps I needed to steep longer to let the raspberries impart more flavour, but I was worried about the base. I also wasn’t overly fond of the base here, it wasn’t astringent, but it was a bit rougher than I would want it. I’m not drinking the tea right now, so I can’t come up with a good description, but perhaps it was missing some maltiness?

I’ve found that by adding about 50% more and steeping it for 3-4 minutes, I could attain the thicker, in-your-face flavor I wanted the first time around. The raspberry is much stronger, as is a deeper, underlying slightly wheaty taste. There’s also the black tea base. Alas, not much on the “nut” front, but I do keep peanut butter behind my desk.
A part of me wanted to take that peanut butter and add a scoop to the tea, but I’m not sure that’d work out. In fact, I think that’d wind up being a gloppy, heinous mess.
Anyway, I’ve bumped up my rating about 10 points because I like it so much better now.
Bring on the day.