Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jelly Black Tea

Black Fruit Blend
Black Teas, Freeze Dried Raspberries, Natural Flavours
Jam, Raspberry, Nutty, Berries, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Peanut, Sweet, Tannin, Thick, Berry, Cocoa, Tannic
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for February 22, 2016!

I’ll disclose a little secret – this tea made me very nervous.

You see, I’m one of those unusual people that don’t like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I felt very much the oddball growing up – everyone else liked peanut butter and jelly. I like peanut butter. I like jelly. I just don’t like these two together. I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I like peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwiches. I like peanut butter and butter toast. I even like peanut butter sandwiches. Just not jelly. And I like jelly toast and I probably would like a jelly sandwich if I were so inclined to make one although it doesn’t sound like a very satisfying sort of lunch.

So what I’m trying to say is that peanut butter and jelly just isn’t my thing. So when one of my Kickstarter backers who purchased the “Be a 52Teas tea of the week creator” incentive and selected a peanut butter and jelly tea as his tea of the week flavor – I got just a wee bit nervous and I hoped that since it’s a tea maybe, just maybe, I’ll like these flavors together.

And I do! This has a really pleasing raspberry flavor. The peanut butter is a softer note – and really, if I were to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I think that’s how I’d make it for myself – light on the peanut butter with a big smear of raspberry jelly! Sweet tart raspberry, a smooth, nutty peanut butter note atop a blend of Nilgiri and Assam teas. Way better than I could imagine peanut butter and jelly tasting!

organic ingredients: black teas, sunflower seeds, freeze-dried raspberries and natural flavors.

Use 1 tsp of tea to 12 oz. boiling water. Steep 2 1/2 minutes. Allow tea to cool 10 minutes for best flavor.

About 52teas View company

Homemade Advent Swap Day 9
from AJRimmer
I made a cup of this one last night and sipped on it while doing some holiday shopping. This was my first peanut butter and jelly tea. Raspberry PB&J was always my favorite with grape being a close second. The black tea was strong and reminded me of a breakfast tea without any bitterness or astringency. It works really well with the fresh raspberry jam notes. (so many teas miss the mark with raspberry but not this one!) Unfortunately as hard as I tried I didn’t taste anything reminiscent of PB. It’s a lovely raspberry jam tea though! I noticed that in the description of the tea it says that Anne isn’t a fan of PB & J together. So the peanut butter note is meant to be faint here and I might just be unable to identify it. I need to try my next cup of this one with milk when I finally get ahold of some more.
Question for Anne though do you like other types of nut butter sandwiches with jam or jelly?

Flavors: Jam, Raspberry

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
52Teas

Hey Lexie: To be honest, I’ve not tried other types of nut butter with jam or jelly. I have tried other types of nut butter – but not with jelly. I don’t usually eat a lot of jam or jelly – I attribute this to the fact that my stepmother would buy the cheapest, grossest jelly available – you know – the purple colored sugary substance that really tasted nothing like grape. Gross. So there’s some residual distaste for jam & jelly – even though I quite enjoy a good quality jam or jelly – I still more often than not find myself reaching for something else when it comes to sandwiches (I love PB & banana and PB & marshmallow fluff).

I don’t know if it’s an interesting story or not – but every year, I get myself a advent calendar of some sort (but not a tea one since – I have a lot of tea and I can’t imagine how my family would react if I got myself a tea advent calendar. LOL) This year, I got the Bonne Maman calendar and I’ve been enjoying those jellies. I’ve determined that I enjoy jams/jellies – so long as it’s GOOD jams/jellies – so I might even enjoy PB&J if I tried one with the good stuff – I just haven’t actually tried it yet.

Lexie Aleah

That makes sense! I’ve been wanting to try the Bonne Maman advent calendar but always forget about it til it’s sold out. (:

I have to say that this tea doesn’t taste like its name. The black tea is pretty strong, and it tastes nice. I also get a strong berry flavor. It tasted good without milk, but I added some anyway and like it this way too. I wish there were something like peanut butter here, but it is a nice berry black tea.

gmathis

Never tried anything with a peanut butter label, but I’d think that would be a little hard to replicate.

AJRimmer

I’ve had a few peanut butter tea, and some of them do magically have a bit of peanut butter flavor – I’m not sure how though!

Tiffany :)

Hmm I’m not sure if I have this one or not since I don’t have my stash logged but I love anything Anne makes at 52teas and I love PB+J anything in non-tea so this sounds like a winner in my world.

My first sipdown! :D

This is from the most recent advent box, and I keep forgetting that putting milk in it makes it a lot harder to taste the flavors! I did get a sort of sunflower nuttiness, especially as an after taste.

After getting cold, I felt like may be I could tasty some tart raspberry-ness but that may just be me looking for it!

The black base is pretty brisk this time around. Still not tasting any peanut butter, but the raspberry is nice and jammy.

This one is a forever favorite. I bought a fairly large bag of this blend several years back and still have plenty left. It’s the mix with the sunflower seeds, but I don’t notice anything stale about it even though my batch is an older one. This was a delicious cup today, mostly nutty but the raspberry is definitely there.

Flavors: Nutty, Raspberry

Have I actually not reviewed this yet? I’ve had it several times hot, although have yet to try it cold.

Tasty black base tea-thick, malty, neither sweet, nor overly tannic. It goes well with the fruity (and slightly sweet) raspberry flavour. The sunflower seeds somehow taste like peanutbutter. I’m not sure how that sorcery works, but it tastes /just/ like peanut butter. Magic?

Flavors: Berries, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Nutty, Peanut, Raspberry, Sweet, Tannin, Thick

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 19 OZ / 550 ML

Sipdown

I got a sample of this from Kittenna and unfortunately I have not stored it all that wonderfully so this is mostly just black tea and a slightly seedy flavor. Still I am grateful to Kittenna for that chance to try this out.

Additional notes: This is really one of those teas I should have enjoyed at the freshest. This tea is certainly not the same, which I mentioned a few months ago. But I did want to try different parameters: I’ve been having luck with other teas having more flavor peeking out with more leaves, so I used two teaspoons with this steep. A brisk tea to try with two teaspoons, but with the flavor mostly gone, I didn’t feel like I was wasting leaves. I also handpicked the sunflower seeds out of the teaspoons so they didn’t impart more stale flavor than they needed to. The flavor ended up stale anyway, and still not much raspberry. Maybe a tiny bit more than if I used one teaspoon (which was no raspberry flavor at all). So what I once called ‘best raspberry tea’ is now hardly raspberry. I would say the sunflower seeds definitely don’t work, especially for us hoarders, but this tea isn’t THAT old yet. I don’t think the sunflower seeds were an accurate substitute for peanut butter anyway. I WOULD love to see a good flavored peanut butter tea, fake ingredients or not. The original rating was for the ‘raspberry’ aspect, rather than the ‘peanut butter’ aspect. The raspberry was so good I was willing to look over the sunflower seeds. Also, this partly assam base just pairs very well with raspberry.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons (with sunflower seeds plucked out) // 20 min after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 10 minutes after boiling // 2-3 min

Kittenna

I think I have some of this left too. I can’t say I was ever a fan of the sunflower seeds, and whatever tea I had recently that contained them definitely tasted stale, so I’ll also be picking them out next time. Rocky Road, I think it was.

tea-sipper

Yeah, but picking out the sunflowers made it seem like the same amount of stale anyway.

Fjellrev

Rocky Road! That’s the other blend that had sunflowers in it! Thanks, Kittenna. Was trying to piece that together the other day when I tried the Brownie Batter with Nut Butter Swirl.

And I agree, they seem to make a tea taste more stale or worn out.

Took this into work and forgot we had no milk. Dur!
It was ok… but nothing special. Definitely nutty, and just a tiny bit jammy. The consistency was pretty consistent with “pb&j” though, which was nice.
More experimentation needed!

Adventaggedon Day 15 – Tea 2/6

Hello nostalgia my old friend! This is like a double whammy of nostalgia because not only is PB&J a super nostalgic flavour but the tea itself is also nostalgic because I remember the original of tea from years back! I see I only rated it a 70 so maybe I’ll have to go back and reread old tasting notes because I remember liking it a lot more.

There’s obviously some changes – I don’t think Anne works with sunflower seeds anymore. Personally, I’m a bit sad about that because I think they add such a lovely flavour, but I also completely understand the move away from them. The result here is a cup that, while nutty, is more focused on the delicious and jammy raspberry note which actually perfectly captures that “Smuckers Raspberry Jam” flavour that seems ripped right out of my elementary school life. The black tea is plucky and tannic, with a bready/grainy note that adds to the illusion as well!

It was an unexpected tea in this year’s advent, but I enjoyed it a lot!

Advent Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CI1bJQzAPNj/

52Teas

yeah, I made the decision to stop using sunflower seeds. I personally enjoyed the little bit that they added to the cup – a little bit of nutty flavor plus a hint of salt & it gave my nuttier teas a more authentic roasted nutty note but after hearing more than a few complaints about them, I decided I didn’t need them in the tea to make the tea yummy.

Roswell Strange

I agree – definitely a nice addition, but still a really great tea even without :)

tea-sipper

Oh I was thinking of this blend yesterday! Glad to see it has been reblended without sunflower seeds.