Myrtle's Tea House

High
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Magycmyste
195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more 8 oz / 236 ml

• “And now it is done. I quite enjoyed this masterful blending of flavours. My foolish device will not let me slide to an 85 rating. Hopefully, I will remember to update it when I am on my...” Read full tasting note
  • “A mug from the weekend! Definitely an enjoyable cup, but I’d 100% forgotten that there’s bergamot in the blend so when I took my first few initial sips I was a little surprised and taken aback with...” Read full tasting note
  • “I just reblended about 4 pounds of this tea for the actual Myrtle’s Tea House – http://myrtlesteahouse.com – because they have ordered some. They not only sell it in their tea shop, but they also...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for March 14, 2016!

Myrtle’s Tea House is our (Amethyst’s & Anne’s) favorite place to go for tea. We started going to Myrtle’s Tea House in Ridgefield, Washington back when it first opened. Back then, it had five or six tables and there was just one person running the dining room (the owner, Elizabeth) and one person back in the kitchen. But they didn’t let that stop them from offering the most delightful little tea sandwiches and the most personable service. I always felt like friends when we’d stop in. She even remembers the tea that I usually order. Now, after several years in business – they’ve grown by leaps and bounds! They’ve had to move to bigger digs, now instead of five or six tables in one room, they’ve got three ROOMS filled with tables and they’re always booked. In fact, if you don’t make reservations, you can’t get in! They’re always busy!

And since those early days, they’ve hired on a few new servers but Elizabeth still takes the time to come over and talk to us and keep us feeling like we’re friends. She still knows what tea I’ll probably want. And the attention they pay to detail on each and every savory and sweet during the three course meal is remarkable.

So I decided that I wanted to create a tea that was inspired by my favorite flavors from Myrtle’s Tea House. The tea that I order is a black tea with notes of bergamot and vanilla. So I started out with a robust black tea base of Nilgiri, Yunnan Dian Hong and just a touch of single estate Ceylon to smooth it out. Then I blended it with bergamot and real vanilla bean. And my very favorite item from the menu at Myrtle’s Tea House is the chilled strawberry soup. (Seriously folks, this soup is amazing.) It is a lightly spiced soup – so to the black tea with bergamot and vanilla, I added strawberries, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.

The result is a cup that evokes thoughts of a magical place known as Myrtle’s Tea House. If you’re ever in Southern Washington (or even in Portland, Oregon), make it a point to visit. But remember, you need to make reservations!

Taster size is approximately 1/2 ounce.

organic ingredients: black teas, strawberries, cinnamon pieces, cloves, bergamot, vanilla bean, nutmeg, natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

And now it is done. I quite enjoyed this masterful blending of flavours. My foolish device will not let me slide to an 85 rating. Hopefully, I will remember to update it when I am on my laptop.

And it’s a sipdown.

(Sipdown 49)

Helena

I always hate when the device won’t let me do what I want to do :D

A mug from the weekend!

Definitely an enjoyable cup, but I’d 100% forgotten that there’s bergamot in the blend so when I took my first few initial sips I was a little surprised and taken aback with the mix of nutmug, clove, and warming spice profile in generic juxtaposed with that lighter, citrusy note. However, once the initial shock had passed I was super into the profile. The little flicker of woody and malty notes too were perfect, as well as the hint of strawberry.

I just reblended about 4 pounds of this tea for the actual Myrtle’s Tea House – http://myrtlesteahouse.com – because they have ordered some. They not only sell it in their tea shop, but they also grind it to a fine consistency and add it to their shortbread cookies that they serve to their afternoon tea customers.

And since I reblended it – I have to test it before I start packaging it up. My inspiration behind this blend is some of my favorite things at Myrtle’s. There is, of course, the tea which is a creamy Earl Grey and their exceptionally good strawberry soup which is made of pureed strawberries, cream and a touch of cloves and cinnamon. Seriously – that soup! You guys … that soup!!!

We’ll be going to Myrtle’s on Thursday to deliver the tea – and they probably won’t have that soup on Thursday since it’s not exactly strawberry season at the moment. But they do have a really good tomato and basil soup too and that might be a bit more satisfying on a cold and what I think may turn out to be a snowy day since we’re getting quite a bit of snow at the moment.

Anyway – back to this tea. This is every bit as good as I remember. Sweet strawberry – a touch of vanilla – notes of cinnamon and clove and of course, that lovely bergamot. After I finish packaging up the tea for the tea house, I just might have a few pouches left over to add to the website!

Arby

You are really making it difficult for me not to buy more teas right now.

Mmmmmmmm