Myrtle's Tea House

Bergamot, Creamy, Earl Grey, Fruity, Smooth, Strawberry, Sweet, Tannin, Spices
High
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Angrboda

• “This is my favourite bergamot tea! As it turns out, strawberries, bergamot, and a bold black tea go well together. I drank every cup with a touch of vanilla soy milk and 1/2 tsp sugar and it was...” Read full tasting note
  • “And now it is done. I quite enjoyed this masterful blending of flavours. My foolish device will not let me slide to an 85 rating. Hopefully, I will remember to update it when I am on my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Wasn’t sure what to think of this tea, but I do really enjoy blends like this that aren’t really meant to replicate/mirror the EXACT taste of something but are more just a harmonious pairing of...” Read full tasting note
  • “I just reblended about 4 pounds of this tea for the actual Myrtle’s Tea House – http://myrtlesteahouse.com – because they have ordered some. They not only sell it in their tea shop, but they also...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for March 14, 2016!

Myrtle’s Tea House is our (Amethyst’s & Anne’s) favorite place to go for tea. We started going to Myrtle’s Tea House in Ridgefield, Washington back when it first opened. Back then, it had five or six tables and there was just one person running the dining room (the owner, Elizabeth) and one person back in the kitchen. But they didn’t let that stop them from offering the most delightful little tea sandwiches and the most personable service. I always felt like friends when we’d stop in. She even remembers the tea that I usually order. Now, after several years in business – they’ve grown by leaps and bounds! They’ve had to move to bigger digs, now instead of five or six tables in one room, they’ve got three ROOMS filled with tables and they’re always booked. In fact, if you don’t make reservations, you can’t get in! They’re always busy!

And since those early days, they’ve hired on a few new servers but Elizabeth still takes the time to come over and talk to us and keep us feeling like we’re friends. She still knows what tea I’ll probably want. And the attention they pay to detail on each and every savory and sweet during the three course meal is remarkable.

So I decided that I wanted to create a tea that was inspired by my favorite flavors from Myrtle’s Tea House. The tea that I order is a black tea with notes of bergamot and vanilla. So I started out with a robust black tea base of Nilgiri, Yunnan Dian Hong and just a touch of single estate Ceylon to smooth it out. Then I blended it with bergamot and real vanilla bean. And my very favorite item from the menu at Myrtle’s Tea House is the chilled strawberry soup. (Seriously folks, this soup is amazing.) It is a lightly spiced soup – so to the black tea with bergamot and vanilla, I added strawberries, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.

The result is a cup that evokes thoughts of a magical place known as Myrtle’s Tea House. If you’re ever in Southern Washington (or even in Portland, Oregon), make it a point to visit. But remember, you need to make reservations!

Taster size is approximately 1/2 ounce.

organic ingredients: black teas, strawberries, cinnamon pieces, cloves, bergamot, vanilla bean, nutmeg, natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

This is my favourite bergamot tea! As it turns out, strawberries, bergamot, and a bold black tea go well together. I drank every cup with a touch of vanilla soy milk and 1/2 tsp sugar and it was perfect. I think the milk and sugar bring out the strawberry a bit more and make it super smooth.

Flavors: Bergamot, Creamy, Earl Grey, Fruity, Smooth, Strawberry, Sweet, Tannin

ashmanra

That’s sounds like a great combo!

52Teas

I’m glad you like this one! :)

And now it is done. I quite enjoyed this masterful blending of flavours. My foolish device will not let me slide to an 85 rating. Hopefully, I will remember to update it when I am on my laptop.

And it’s a sipdown.

(Sipdown 49)

Helena

I always hate when the device won’t let me do what I want to do :D

Wasn’t sure what to think of this tea, but I do really enjoy blends like this that aren’t really meant to replicate/mirror the EXACT taste of something but are more just a harmonious pairing of different flavours creating a unique profile. I’m talking something like a basil, peach, cinnamon, and pineapple blend with a more abstract name versus something that’s like “Peach Sorbet” which is a defined and preexisting thing. Does that make sense? At all?

As for this blend, it’s a mix of different spices, strawberry, bergamot and vanilla. I found the spice elements to be the strongest things in the blend – the cinnamon and nutmeg primarily, with a bit of the clove in the finish. It’s a little astringent/drying, but the sweetness of both vanilla and strawberry in the forefront of the sip definitely counter balance the spices really well. I actually wise there was a little more strawberry, though. I think strawberry and cinnamon are a really nice pairing together – and one that it often ignored. It reminds me of breakfast foods though – cinnamon pancakes/waffles/French toast with strawberry compote as a topping. Something you might get from a really goof Waffle House, for example. The bergamot feels like the weirdest addition to the blend, but not a bad one. Just a little competitive with the spices – they’re all really defined and commanding flavours in terms of presence. The little bit of floral orange from the bergamot in the undertones marries nicely to the sweetness of the strawberry, though.

It’s not one of my favourites (just based on first impression) from 52Teas overall, but I do think it’s one of the most unique/creative teas that Anne has come up with and I love that it’s based on something so meaningful to her.

52Teas

Recently learned that Myrtle’s Tea House will be closing for good – and instead, the wonderful lady who runs Myrtle’s will be opening a home decor place where in the mornings, you can come by for some tea and scones – but the full afternoon tea will be no more. I’m very sad about it but I am happy that she found the thing that she wants to do so I can’t deny her wanting to change direction. I will so miss that strawberry soup. I will have to beg her for the recipe.

I just reblended about 4 pounds of this tea for the actual Myrtle’s Tea House – http://myrtlesteahouse.com – because they have ordered some. They not only sell it in their tea shop, but they also grind it to a fine consistency and add it to their shortbread cookies that they serve to their afternoon tea customers.

And since I reblended it – I have to test it before I start packaging it up. My inspiration behind this blend is some of my favorite things at Myrtle’s. There is, of course, the tea which is a creamy Earl Grey and their exceptionally good strawberry soup which is made of pureed strawberries, cream and a touch of cloves and cinnamon. Seriously – that soup! You guys … that soup!!!

We’ll be going to Myrtle’s on Thursday to deliver the tea – and they probably won’t have that soup on Thursday since it’s not exactly strawberry season at the moment. But they do have a really good tomato and basil soup too and that might be a bit more satisfying on a cold and what I think may turn out to be a snowy day since we’re getting quite a bit of snow at the moment.

Anyway – back to this tea. This is every bit as good as I remember. Sweet strawberry – a touch of vanilla – notes of cinnamon and clove and of course, that lovely bergamot. After I finish packaging up the tea for the tea house, I just might have a few pouches left over to add to the website!

Arby

You are really making it difficult for me not to buy more teas right now.

Mmmmmmmm

A very quick note on this one after the fact -

This reminded me more of a really nice chai than a strawberry bergamot tea. The spices were warming and pushed everyone else off the stage. No strawberry for me at all. I’m drinking through some older teas lately, so again this could be the age.

Flavors: Spices