Earl Grey Cider

Bergamot
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “I’m not supposed to have caffeine. I’m sensitive to it in general and it can sometimes set off a flare if I’m not careful. That being said, it’s so hard for me to give up my favorite black teas...” Read full tasting note
  • “Quick note before heading off to walk in the snow to work. Fun! With my FUNdraiser (presumably) on its way and just ordering more of the Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish and Chocolate Eclair (booourns...” Read full tasting note
  • “No notes on this one? Really? Well mine went poof when the power decided to go away. So from what i recall, this one wasn’t half bad. It came across as really light – not very blergy at all. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is last week’s tea of the week – but the last two weeks have been completely out of control crazy so I’m going to take a moment now to sit down and breathe … and enjoy some tea! About 2 weeks...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for October 3, 2016!

I was inspired to create this after seeing a recipe for a cocktail called Earl Grey Cider. I figured if there could be a cocktail called Earl Grey Cider, then there should be a tea called Earl Grey Cider too! Besides, as I’m not much of a drinker (of alcohol), this is the best way for me to try something called Earl Grey Cider.

I started with a base of organic black teas from China and India and added some bergamot oil. Then I added some dried lemon peel and freeze-dried apple bits (Granny Smith & Fuji) and a hint of bourbon essence (don’t worry, it’s alcohol free!) and other natural flavors.

A really interesting and TASTY twist on the classic Earl Grey!

organic ingredients: black teas, bergamot oil, lemon peel, freeze-dried apples and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

I’m not supposed to have caffeine. I’m sensitive to it in general and it can sometimes set off a flare if I’m not careful. That being said, it’s so hard for me to give up my favorite black teas so I usually drink them anyway and try to stay mindful of how my body is feeling on a given day. This cup suffered because of my sensitivities.

I knew immediately when I opened the pouch that this was the tea I wanted. I love a good Earl Grey and how can you go wrong by adding the flavors of hot cider?? It steeped up beautifully, even if I did steep too long, and tasted lovely. But . . .

I only got one sip in, literally just one, before I got the caffeine woozies. Darn. I tried a few more sips, I think 2 or 3, and finally gave it up. What a waste. I still have enough for a couple more cups so I’ll be trying this one again on a better day. Until we meet again.

Flavors: Bergamot

Quick note before heading off to walk in the snow to work. Fun! With my FUNdraiser (presumably) on its way and just ordering more of the Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish and Chocolate Eclair (booourns for not knowing these were on the site until this morning and missing out on the Vanilla Marshmallow), I thought I’d finally start tackling my last 52teas order. I always seem behind on these.

I quickly grabbed this because it seemed like a safe bet this morning. Love the addition of apple in an EG. The bergamot is sparkly and a true live wire in this blend. Putting these two notes together was a great idea! A little on the astringent side but nice to drink in the morning. Maybe I’ll try the last of my taster with some milk. Not to mention, the juicy chunks of apples were a flavourful treat after the tea was finished steeping.

52Teas

I may still have some Vanilla Marshmallow if you’re interested – please PM me. :)

TastetheTea

This sounds pretty amazing! Earl grey is my morning go to, be interesting with an added fruity twist!

No notes on this one? Really? Well mine went poof when the power decided to go away. So from what i recall, this one wasn’t half bad. It came across as really light – not very blergy at all. crowkettle provided this one and overall impressions since i lost my detailed notes were that this one was missing something…like oomph or something. Not a bad tea but really light…not really an intense flavour. mild. though i did get notes of the alcohol like vibe from it.

About 2 weeks ago, we had a serious equipment malfunction that put me about 10 days behind. The worst part about it is that I was actually getting caught up! I was going to have the subscription boxes out ahead of schedule! I was getting there – and then my heat sealer breaks on me and I have to wait to get a new one delivered. Ugh.

But, I guess that’s one thing that i’ve learned in the year plus that I’ve been doing the 52Teas thing – that stuff happens and you just gotta roll with the punches.

Fortunately, after spending the last week since getting my replacement heat sealer working hard – I might actually be getting caught up again which is very fortunate since the 12 Teas of Christmas is in progress! (By the way, deadline to pre-order yours is this Saturday!)

Now – let’s get back to the task at hand – this tea! I really love this tea. I had come across a recipe for Earl Grey Cider (a cocktail) and thought it sounded amazing except that I’m not really big on cocktails (or any alcohol for that matter). But I did think that if the Earl Grey Cider was a tea, I’d definitely want to try it. So I decided that i should make my own version of this cocktail.

The bergamot is delightful and together with the lemon in this, it creates a really unique citrus-y note. The apple isn’t particularly strong but it adds a pleasant sweet note to the otherwise tart/tangy fruits in this. And the bourbon notes are not overly powerful but there is a hint of like a warm, caramel-y, barley-like note to the cup.

I haven’t yet tried this iced but I will be cold-brewing it very soon so I’ll be sure to let you know what I think of it – I’m absolutely loving it hot!