Rocky Road

Chocolate, Marshmallow, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Tannin, Vanilla
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas
Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 6 oz / 177 ml

• “Pretty decent tea, but I felt like it tasted slightly as if the nuts were going rancid (I know, there are no nuts, only sunflower seeds). However, I easily got over that and drank the entire cup...” Read full tasting note
  • “The nuttiness from the sunflower seeds works here. Still, somehow, clearly sunflower seeds. I’d like more chocolate. I’d like more vanilla. I’d like more marshmallow. But then, to...” Read full tasting note
  • “I drank this yesterday with milk, which made it much more like the icecream. Oddly, same as last time, I wasn’t interested in a second steep. Rare that I find something so satisfying, with no...” Read full tasting note
  • “oh man. i really wish i’d been able to get more of this one. It is delightful! Creamy vanilla, cocoa, pecans, and malt..smooth with no bitterness. Yep. i’d get more of this if it came up again.” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for February 6, 2017!

I’m pretty sure that Frank had a Rocky Road tea at one point because I recall asking him to reblend it several years ago – I had never tasted it but I had found the tea description in his archives and I wanted to try it so I do remember asking him to reblend it. He never did.

So since I can no longer retrieve any of those archived teas and it doesn’t show up at Steepster, I’m just going to call this my blend.

I started with Laoshan black teas from Verdant for their chocolate-y character. Then I chose a rich, malty Assamica tea from the Jingmai Mountains. Then I added some Golden Yunnan tea to round out the flavors. To this, I added roasted cacao nibs, cacao shells, marshmallow root, sunflower seeds and vegan dark and white chocolate chips.

And yes, I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again now: YUM!

ingredients: black teas, roasted & salted sunflower seeds and vegan white & dark chocolate chips

organic ingredients: black tea, cacao nibs & shells, marshmallow root and natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Pretty decent tea, but I felt like it tasted slightly as if the nuts were going rancid (I know, there are no nuts, only sunflower seeds). However, I easily got over that and drank the entire cup during a meeting, and enjoyed it. The rest was delicious rich chocolatey gooey marshmallowey perfection. The tea is probably a touch old, so I won’t detract any points for any staleness.

Evol Ving Ness

It’s not that old. I’d be surprised if it were stale already.

Evol Ving Ness

Omigosh! It’s a year old already! Gah!

The nuttiness from the sunflower seeds works here. Still, somehow, clearly sunflower seeds. I’d like more chocolate. I’d like more vanilla. I’d like more marshmallow. But then, to be fair, I always would like more of these.

Thanks for this, VariaTEA.

Flavors: Chocolate, Marshmallow

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I drank this yesterday with milk, which made it much more like the icecream. Oddly, same as last time, I wasn’t interested in a second steep. Rare that I find something so satisfying, with no desire for more… Odd, for me! Still, I’m glad I have another sampler of this coming my way.

Fjellrev

Oh man, she NEEDS to reblend this.

Indigobloom

Definitely agreed on that!!

Arby

It should be a regular

Indigobloom

Yep, I think so too. Except I really miss the Blueberry Creamcheese Danish, so kinda want that as a regular first…

oh man. i really wish i’d been able to get more of this one. It is delightful!

Terri HarpLady

Damn, that does sound good, even for someone like me who mostly hates flavored teas, LOL.

it was super noms.

Helena

Yeah I agree that does sound like a tasty treat.

Fjellrev

Right? I really hope this’ll come back.

Oh, this is a lovely surprise. I accidentally steeped it for over ten minutes because I received an important phone call while waiting for the 2.5 minutes. Concerned I ruined it for life, I added some whole milk, took a sip, and…?

Wow! Very flavourful and miraculously not bitter at all. There’s a lot going on in this blend. Creamy vanilla, cocoa, pecans, and malt. I think it’s the malt and vanilla together that’s creating an Animal Cracker-like vibe to this too.

You know, altogether, the flavours really do come together to create a Rocky Road ice cream experience. Crazy. I wish I had more than just the taster size!

this sounds delicious!

The base is a pretty high quality black. Malty, honey, cocoa, delicious tannins typical in blacks. No bitterness at all, even in a longer steep (6 min, boiling water).

A hint of vanilla, lots of rich cocoa/dark chocolate. I was hoping for more vanilla, but this is still tasty. The sunflower seeds are nutty, but I find their flavour a bit musty (although allergen free). It wasn’t the marshmallow treat I hoped, but I did enjoy my cup this morning.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Tannin, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 6 min, 0 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML

I don’t want to be too hard on this because I have yet to find a chocolate tea that comes close to being actually chocolatey. This one is no exception, but it only fails in the way they all fail. The richness of chocolate just does not translate into tea, in my opinion. The strongest note in here is actually the sunflower seeds. It’s not bad, it’s just not as robust as some of 52Teas’ other black teas.

This smells AH-MAZING. Familiar. Though I have been racking my brain to pinpoint what it is I am smelling, what I do know is it. is. good.

Flavorwise, I enjoy this. Both chocolatey and nutty. The sunflowers are an interesting contribution that are certainly adding to the nut flavor. It is similar to the Chocolate Eclair, though a little warmer and less creamy.

I think I prefer Chocolate Eclair though both are very good. If it were up to me, I think I would want more marshmallow here. However, I always want more marshmallow so I think I would have said that even if this was 90% marshmallow root.

Evol Ving Ness

Hurray for vanilla and marshmallow! :)

I want a s’mores tea.

Last week’s tea of the week!
Now that I’m feeling comfortable with finally getting caught up after numerous delays – I also feel comfortable in sitting back and enjoying a cup of tea and writing about it! The delays over the last two months have been crazy – but as I’ve said – I’ve learned that anything that can happen will most likely happen and really, there’s just not a lot you can do about it – no way of even foreseeing some of those things that happen to delay things – so the key is just learning how to roll with the punches I suppose.
On to this tea! I do love it! Rocky Road ice cream is my favorite and has been my favorite since I was a kid. I occasionally find a ‘new’ favorite that surpasses my craving for Rocky Road – like Cherry Garcia or Praline Pecan – but Rocky Road holds that special place in my heart. So when I saw in the archives some years ago that Frank had actually created a Rocky Road blend once upon a time – I asked him to reblend it. He never did.
So I decided that I would take it upon myself to recreate it and when I did, I did some searching for the tea here on Steepster only to come up empty handed – it was never entered into the database here so it’s as if it never actually existed. So I’m reclaiming the blend for myself.
The base is really nice – it’s Yunnan and Assamica teas blended with Laoshan teas from Verdant. Together, these teas create a pleasantly rich and remarkably smooth flavor that carries the notes of chocolate, nut and marshmallow well.
As I mentioned on my blog post for this blend – http://52teas.com/blog/tea-of-the-week-for-february-6-2017-rocky-road-black-tea/ – the first time I tasted it, I thought something was a bit off. Not because it wasn’t delicious because it was – it took me a while to determine what the problem with it was and I realized that this doesn’t have the texture of Rocky Road ice cream (because it is, as I’ve said before – a tea and therefore shouldn’t have the texture of a ice cream laden with nuts and marshmallows) and while I absolutely love the flavor of Rocky Road Ice Cream, I also love the texture: cool, creamy chocolate ice cream with chunks of crunchy nuts and pillow-y marshmallows. And this tea doesn’t have the crunchy, chunky nuts or the soft, fluffy marshmallows to bite into – but it does have the flavor of those things as well as a smooth, creamy chocolate-y taste.

Evol Ving Ness

Welcome back. We’ve missed you.

VariaTEA

This sounds delicious! And glad you’re back :)

52Teas