Black(berry) Rose

Baked Bread, Blackberry, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Rose, Smooth, Sweet
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “I had to rush out the door only grabbing iced tea out of the fridge this morning, but I was really crazing a warm cuppa on this rainy morning, and had to wait until my lunch break to finally get to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Wow, over three weeks since posting? Time flies when you’re stupendously busy during the Christmas rush and battling a strange virus. This tea was inspired by Axl Rose, eh? In that case, I would...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for August 7, 2017!

This tea may or may not be inspired by one of Axl Rose’s tattoos. I’m not telling, but what I will say is – for those of you who aren’t already aware of it – I am a fan of Axl (and that would be putting it mildly). It could also be inspired by one of Thin Lizzy’s album covers, which is the inspiration behind Mr. Rose’s tat. But anyway . . .

I started with a blend of black teas from China including a delightful Rose Congou and added lots and lots of blackberries. The flavor is sweet, fruity and somewhat floral (the rose notes are soft and sweetly floral – I think that even those who are often opposed to rose teas might find this tea enjoyable – especially if you’re fond of blackberries!) with a pleasantly robust black tea base.

I prefer this tea hot – but it also makes a surprisingly tasty iced tea too!

ingredients: black teas

organic ingredients: black teas, blackberries, rose buds & petals and all natural flavors

About 52teas View company

I had to rush out the door only grabbing iced tea out of the fridge this morning, but I was really crazing a warm cuppa on this rainy morning, and had to wait until my lunch break to finally get to brew a thermos of hot tea. This is one of my oldest teas so I grabbed this one to start working on sipping down; it smelled fantastic steeping on my desk, reminding me a lot of the Blackberry Dumpling tea I had not long ago, which I really enjoyed.

I’m getting some baked bread and subtle honey notes from the base black tea, with a stronger sweet rose florality; it isn’t as strong as I was imagining (I’m a big fan of rose so there is pretty much no such thing as “too strong” with me and rose!), but I can pick it up toward the back of my tongue. The fruitiness of the blackberry is a much stronger flavor note and dominates over the florality, so it tastes more of a nice blackberry black tea, with a very soft and subtle floral touch to the base black; I think even someone that typically hates floral notes in teas would have no issues with this tea. Since I love rose teas, I actually could’ve done with those notes presenting a little stronger, but I still love the blackberry flavor used by 52Teas — it just tastes so full and juicy, like biting into actual fruit. It’s a good tea and I’m so happy to get a hot black cuppa on this drizzly day, but I would’ve liked to have seen a little more balance between the fruit and florals, personally

Flavors: Baked Bread, Blackberry, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Rose, Smooth, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 350 ML

This tea was inspired by Axl Rose, eh? In that case, I would have liked a little more rose. All three cups from my sampler were heavier on the berry and the slightly astringent base but I sadly couldn’t pick up on that much rose, or any floral note for that matter.

Not 52teas’ best but still easy to drink, and I’m glad to have tried it in the end.