Caramel Houjicha/White Tea Blend

Green White Blend
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “Today’s cold brew. Definitely, definitely a lot more houjicha taste than anything else. It’s a little bit weird drinking a cold brew of something that just tastes so distinctly roasty; it’s not bad...” Read full tasting note
  • “How are there no notes for this? This tea is delicious. It only lasts for one infusion (the second infusion has basically no caramel, but that’s ok), but that one infusion is quite good – rich...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for September 11, 2017!

The first time I brewed this tea for a taste test – I got distracted and so into it that I forgot to write my description of it. Alas – I was forced to brew another cup so that I could write my review and description. Such a tough job – this.

And if it wasn’t obvious the previous article was dripping in sarcasm, you obviously don’t know me or my love for caramel and tea!

For the last year or so, I’ve created several different of these Houjicha/white tea blends. The first few were Shou Mei white tea, the more recent creations have been crafted with Bai Mu Dan. The main reason for this is that I prefer Bai Mu Dan to Shou Mei in just about every instance and I find that to be true in this instance as well. Bai Mu Dan just proves to be a better tea – at least it proves to be to my palate.

And I do like these blends – the Houjicha and White Tea blends – because I enjoy how the light, crisp flavor of the white tea lightens the deep, roasty-toasty flavor of the Houjicha. What I’ve learned in my time getting re-acquainted with the ‘artisan tea blend’ business is that the rather strong, deeply roasted flavor of the Houjicha is just a little bit too much for the flavoring process and the strength of the tea tends to overpower the flavoring. The addition of the white tea softens up the roasted green tea flavor and allows those flavors to come forward. So you still get that awesome roasty-toasty-ness of the Houjicha, but you also get the delightful flavorings that have been added.

Which brings me to this week’s tea: Caramel Houjicha/White Tea Blend. I absolutely LOVE the way the toasted nutty flavor of the Houjicha melds with the caramel notes – giving it a sort of ‘candied nut’ flavor – which would have made a pretty good name for this tea, something like ‘caramel nut’ or ‘candied nut’ – but I do know that some might take that a bit too literally and since the only “nut” contribution to this tea blend is the tea itself, I didn’t want to mislead anyone into thinking that this is a caramel nut flavored tea. It is instead a nutty tasting tea that’s been enhanced with caramel essence.

And it is delightful!

organic ingredients: green tea, white tea & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Today’s cold brew.

Definitely, definitely a lot more houjicha taste than anything else. It’s a little bit weird drinking a cold brew of something that just tastes so distinctly roasty; it’s not bad but that’s a taste that I personally find a lot more suited for hot drinks. I wasn’t really thinking about that when I picked this out to cold brew, though. Instead I was just thinking about how nice a cold brewed caramel tea would be – and the caramel notes were really nice, but far outweighed by the base(s). Tasted a little bit like those square caramels that you can buy from convenience stores or get in bulk, but less creamy. Finish was also a little bit metallic seeming. Not bad on the whole, but I enjoy it a lot more hot.

Side question – when you say “caramel” do you say it with two or three syllables? I know this is like a regional dialect thing, but it’s one I’ve always felt weird about because I physically say it with two syllables, but 100% I read it with three.

Starfevre

I read and say it with 3 syllables. I learned to speak in Ontario but am influenced by my growing years in Massachusetts.

derk

Say and read care-uh-mell but where I grew up with Appalachian influence, it was car-mull.

Roswell Strange

Interesting – you’re both in the US, right? I remember reading at some point that the US was like 50/50 split. No idea if Canada, where I’m from, leans more towards one way…

Mastress Alita

I’m a bit weird in that when it’s one word, I’ll say it with 3 syllables, but if it’s paired with another word (like “salted caramel”) I’ll say it as two syllables… I have no consistency.

How are there no notes for this? This tea is delicious. It only lasts for one infusion (the second infusion has basically no caramel, but that’s ok), but that one infusion is quite good – rich caramelly flavours on that toasty base. Had it during a morning meeting and was quite sad when it was done.