Candied Pear

Cucumber, Grass, Melon, Pear, Sugar
Low
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “My actual “cupboard” and I are on shaky ground today, as I found this and it WASN’T EVEN IN MY STEEPSTER CUPBOARD… or even in my list of teas. I don’t think this has ever happened before. Poor...” Read full tasting note
  • “I think I want this to either go more pear or more of a molasses-like candy. Admittedly I’ve never had a red covered apple- just the cloying, thick caramel covered apples, so I’m probably off in...” Read full tasting note
  • “At last, a day that I can hang out at home, drink tea, and catch up on life. It’s so nice outside though so I’d love to go for a walk too, but chores and resume editing need to be done first! I’m...” Read full tasting note
  • “Made this as a hot tea and at first all I got was the base which left me disappointed. However, I’ve continued to drink and the pear flavor is really building. The base is still more present than...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for October 16, 2017!

When I was young, I used to love the candied apples that would come out this time of year. Not the caramel apples – oh, sure, I love caramel apples too – but the apples I’m referring to are the apples that had been dredged in a sticky, unnaturally red, gooey substance and would often be topped with chopped nuts (although I preferred them without the nuts). I would find these candied apples in the produce section of my local grocery store.

These days, I don’t find myself as enthralled by those candied apples as I once was. Perhaps adulthood has changed my palate and made me a little less of a sweet tooth – although I do still have a sweet tooth – but I’d rather have apple slices drizzled with salted caramel than one of those weird, alien-red-colored, candied apples.

I’m not exactly sure why I told you all that, except to say that while I do love apples, I prefer pears. (Although my weekly shopping cart wouldn’t reveal that because usually what I’m buying are apples.) And I remember as a sweet-loving kid wondering why they didn’t dip pears into that red goo and make candied pears? I would have used every penny from my paper route to buy up all of them if they made such a thing.

This week’s tea is a tribute of sorts to my idea of a candied pear. Sweet, succulent pear dipped in a sweet candy syrup-y concoction that would create a sticky, gooey shell over the pear. No nuts – just pear and sweet sticky goodness.

I started with a lovely Bai Mu Dan base and added pears and a sweet candy essence to create this tea – and it tastes just as I imagined a candied pear would taste! The pear flavor is well-defined and that pear tastes as though it’s been candied. YUM!

Hey – after I typed all this out, I did a google search to see if such a thing as a red, candied pear existed. Check out this recipe from Rachel Ray! I had no idea that the red stuff was pomegranate!

ingredients: white tea

organic ingredients: pear, calendula petals & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

My actual “cupboard” and I are on shaky ground today, as I found this and it WASN’T EVEN IN MY STEEPSTER CUPBOARD… or even in my list of teas. I don’t think this has ever happened before. Poor little tea! I do at least remember where it came from, since it was stored with the teas from M Mack. Thanks for the sale, M Mack!
Anyway, the name of this tea is extremely accurate. Right away I’m tasting an authentic pear, but it also has a very sweet flavor like the ‘candy’ in the name. The white tea is perfect with it. On the second steep, the earthiness from the white tea is there in the cup more than the first. And the pear candy is more in the background. This is probably because I steeped it too long and too hot, but that’s my fault, not the tea. The first steep was perfect! Mugs really make a tea sometimes, and I was enjoying it today in my gorgeous Simpson and Vail dragon mug: http://www.svtea.com/Midnight-Blue-Dragon-Tea-Infuser-Mug/productinfo/A1956/
Steep #1 // 30 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 16 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep

I think I want this to either go more pear or more of a molasses-like candy. Admittedly I’ve never had a red covered apple- just the cloying, thick caramel covered apples, so I’m probably off in my own imaginings.

The flavouring and tea base are both light and subtle, creating a delicate cup that’s suitable for a nice pre-spring day. The delicate, crystallized sweetness is a refreshing cup for prep gardening (read as watching juncos and listening to chickadees outside while other people do some edging). Glad I saved the dregs of this for a timely change in season.

Flavors: Cucumber, Grass, Melon, Pear, Sugar

I’m glad I got a sample size to try since pear and tea tend to be a beautiful combination, but alas, this has not been my favourite 52teas blend. I can barely taste any pear, just a vague fruity sweetness in the background, as the base tends to take over. The base is also earthier than expected, especially with my last cup which had more leaf than the previous two.

Made this as a hot tea and at first all I got was the base which left me disappointed. However, I’ve continued to drink and the pear flavor is really building. The base is still more present than I’d like given I don’t love white tea but there is also a sweetness to give off the candied element. Plus, the aftertaste is all soft and sweet pear, albeit subtle. If I’m being honest, I don’t love it like I do other blends by 52 Teas but I also don’t think I will struggle to finish the pouch I have.

You can leave 1 serving for me haha

VariaTEA

I shall :)

This is last week’s Tea of the Week – last night, I brewed a pitcher full of it to stash in the fridge for iced tea today. This is fantastic as an iced tea but I think I do prefer it as a hot tea. As a hot tea, it tastes very much like what I’d expect a candied pear to taste like. As an iced tea, I taste more candy than I do pear – but the white tea comes through really nicely as an iced tea. Very soft and sweet.