Holiday Marmalade

Green Tea
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “mmm i want to try this one with just a tiny bit of sugar added to it. However, as far as holiday teas go, either it’s because i haven’t had any in a long time OR this is a pretty tasty blend...” Read full tasting note
  • “So, here it is, Day 3 of the countdown to Christmas with TEA – and I’m already behind a day! In my defense, I was gone pretty much all day yesterday, Mat HAD to see the new Star Wars movie...” Read full tasting note
  • “I got super excited about this blend after scratching off the label for today’s tea. The name Holiday Marmalade just sounded so promising. I hadn’t looked up the ingredients, but I was expecting...” Read full tasting note
  • “This year instead of scratch-off labels, the 12 teas of Christmas came with peel-off labels. Unfortunately, today when I pulled the label for the 2nd tea of Christmas, I also managed to pull off...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

At the time of blending this, I didn’t know if there’s really any such thing as a ‘Holiday Marmalade’ but this tastes like what I think a holiday marmalade should taste like: bright orange with a creamy note to it – like orange curd. Then there are the spices that offer a warm taste to this citrus-y treat that isn’t spicy, just cozy and comforting. (I guess there is a guitar ‘jam’ called Holiday Marmalade that I never knew existed until I googled “Holiday Marmalade”. Kind of awesome!)

I chose our organic Chinese Sencha for this blend because I wanted to emphasize the creaminess here and I felt that the sweet, buttery profile of the Sencha would be perfect for that. Then I added orange wedges, vanilla bean, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves & nutmeg.

It’s sweet, bright, warm and inviting. The kind of tea you want to serve to your holiday guests!

organic ingredients: green tea, oranges, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla bean & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

mmm i want to try this one with just a tiny bit of sugar added to it. However, as far as holiday teas go, either it’s because i haven’t had any in a long time OR this is a pretty tasty blend (haha) but i am enjoying this one. It reminds me of making christmas oranged where you stick a bunch of cloves in to an orange and hang it up to dry out over the holidays haha. It tastes like that smell…which is a good thing in this case :) thanks for sharing VariaTEA!

So, here it is, Day 3 of the countdown to Christmas with TEA – and I’m already behind a day! In my defense, I was gone pretty much all day yesterday, Mat HAD to see the new Star Wars movie yesterday and was even kinda/sorta lamenting that we didn’t go to see it just after midnight. Instead, we went to see it at 10:30 am yesterday. Seriously? Who goes to see a movie at 10:30 am? Or, to put it another way, what NIGHT OWL goes to see a movie at 10:30 am?

Anyway, after that, I went to watch my grandson graduate from his Tiny Tigers martial arts course which is something I wouldn’t miss for the world. Then my oldest daughter and I went shopping for Christmas and I didn’t get home until about 8 pm – and I came home to a hungry younger daughter and Mat – so yeah, not a lot of time to do other things.

Moving on to tea – this was yesterday’s tea in the 12 Teas of Christmas countdown. Holiday Marmalade. You may be wondering why I chose this name. The name didn’t inspire the tea – I didn’t start out with the name already given to the tea. To be honest, this tea went through a few names before I found one that I was content to give this tea.

My original vision for this tea was a spiced orange curd – you know, sort of like a lemon curd only with oranges. And spices. So I built the tea around that idea, with oranges and vanilla bean and spices – but I was never really happy with the name “Spiced Orange Curd.” I think it was the “Spiced” part. It seems like every time I add some fall or wintery spices to a tea, I just slap on the word “Spiced” or “Spice” to it and wa-lah … it just kind of lacked any sort of creativity whatsoever. So then I thought, Holiday Curd? No, I didn’t like that either. I don’t know why but it just wasn’t doing it for me.

After a few other name variants that I came up with and was equally as dissatisfied with I thought: what about marmalade? It’s not exactly an orange marmalade – well, it is, but it’s also got those spices and I didn’t want to call it Spiced Orange Marmalade for the same reason I didn’t want to call it Spiced Orange Curd. So – after some thought, I decided that Holiday Marmalade sounded right. I just liked the sound of it. Then I found this musical jam with holiday music lead by guitarist Jorma Kaukonen which is called “Holiday Marmalade” (as opposed to “Holiday Jam”) and I absolutely LOVED it … so Holiday Marmalade became the name of this tea – more so for this melody of music than for the actual tea. :)

I got super excited about this blend after scratching off the label for today’s tea. The name Holiday Marmalade just sounded so promising. I hadn’t looked up the ingredients, but I was expecting mostly fruit with maybe a hint of spice. I think I imagined it would be heavy on the citrus fruits (lemons and oranges), have a bit of cherry or cranberry (possibly teetering into relish territory), and be kissed with some warming spices (ginger popped into my head first). I was wrong, very wrong.

Given the name, I was expecting a completely different flavor profile. Consequently, I’m a bit bummed that the tea isn’t fruitier.

Truthfully, I don’t mind the tea. It’s a nice blend. It’s just that it’s very reminiscent of last year’s Hot Buttered Spiced Rum (which I adored and stocked up on). I don’t have any left or I’d compare the two. I’ll use the rest of my sample bag to make eggnog lattes.

This year instead of scratch-off labels, the 12 teas of Christmas came with peel-off labels. Unfortunately, today when I pulled the label for the 2nd tea of Christmas, I also managed to pull off the second word of the tea so I think it’s “Holiday Marmalade” but I could be wrong.

From the dry leaf, there is green tea, orange pieces, and spices. I didn’t focus on the specific spices because I was distracted by the lovely citrus smell of the tea. The orange is strong and there is a bit of a sweet grass note from the base (though very subtle). It definitely has an overall holiday vibe given the sweet, the orange, and the spices. I feel like there is clove and cinnamon and perhaps ginger. Honestly though, this was pretty good so I might have drank this rather quickly without really paying attention.

Oh an. Sounds really good

VariaTEA

I can share :)

52Teas

Actually, they’re scratcher labels too. :)

VariaTEA

That’s what someone on instagram said but I tried scratching them initially and it didn’t work. I suppose I am just incompetent lol. I shall scratch harder tomorrow.

@52 teas – I may have missed it but are any of these teas going up on the site later? Ieleftovers? I think folks who got the samplersget first dibs or something? I sadly was in work he’ll and missed paying attention to all that

52Teas

@Sil – yes, those who purchased the 12 Teas of Christmas box get first dibs on what’s remaining. On the 26th, whatever remains will be added to the website.

@VariaTEA – these stickers are a little different from the ones that I got last year – I needed to find a larger one due to the different labels that we’re using this year (because of the broken printer/using the office printer for labels) I couldn’t be as ‘fancy’ as I was last year and put the name of the tea in the small circle because I just didn’t have room for all that – so I needed to find something that would cover the space that I was using and those little round ones wouldn’t do the job. Anyway – all that was my long, drawn-out way of saying that because these are different stickers, they require a coin to scratch it and a slight bit more pressure than the ones from last year. Not so hard to crush the tea, mind you, but I must admit that last year’s stickers were much easier to scratch off.

If you’re able to pull it off – by all means, that would probably be simpler, but if the sticker seems content to stay affixed to the package, then I’d recommend grabbing a coin and scratching.