Cherry Almond Genmaicha

Green Tea
Calendula Petals, Freeze Dried Cherries, Genmaicha, Matcha Green Tea, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan)
Toasted Rice, Cherry
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “Another flavoured 52Teas Genmaicha blend! You can never have too many of those. The dry leaf for this one smells quite nice; very sweet and robust with distinct notes of almond/amaretto and...” Read full tasting note
  • “There is one thing I love more than a good Genmaicha, and that is a good flavored Genmaicha. I purchased a taster version of the Cherry Almond Genmaicha to see if I loved the 52 Teas Genmaicha as...” Read full tasting note
  • “Delicious and interesting tea. I am not a huge fan of genmaicha, although I want to be. BUT, if I am going to drink one of these teas, this would be the one. I enjoy the toasted rice flavor as...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for March 12, 2018!

With the success of the Cherry Almond Gunpowder tea, I thought that another stellar base for this flavor combination would be the naturally nutty, roasty-toasty taste of my organic Genmaicha blend which is infused with Matcha. And now, as I sit here sipping on it, I think I was right!

The Genmaicha is blended with freeze-dried cherries and almond essence (don’t worry – this is nut-free!) The cherries have a green dusting on them – let me assure you that this is due to the Matcha in the blend and not because the cherries were part of a science project!

This blend is light and sweet – evoking thoughts of the coming of spring (even though, as I type this, it’s quite chilly outside and the snow from a few days ago is just now melted away).

Really nice!

organic ingredients: green teas, toasted/popped rice, cherries, calendula petals & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Another flavoured 52Teas Genmaicha blend! You can never have too many of those.

The dry leaf for this one smells quite nice; very sweet and robust with distinct notes of almond/amaretto and maraschino cherry. It actually surprised me a little bit how distinct the two notes were/are – I had sort of theorized that they’d sort of merge together into one very strong almond/marzipan/amaretto or cherry note given how similar the two profiles are…

Taste wise it’s not as strong/robust as the dry leaf smells, but the distinctness of both the almond and cherry does still come through. The almond seems stronger to me, possibly because the roasted quality/toasted rice notes sort of emphasize its nuttiness. You know, a roasted nut sort of flavour quality overall, with softer cherry undertones. It’s very smooth, and I’m enjoying it a lot. I mean, I expected to like it even if I thought it would be one strong, single note flavour – and I like it just as much as anticipated, the profile is just not exactly what I’d expected.

There is one thing I love more than a good Genmaicha, and that is a good flavored Genmaicha. I purchased a taster version of the Cherry Almond Genmaicha to see if I loved the 52 Teas Genmaicha as much as I used to. For what it’s worth, one of my favorite flavored tea flavors is cherry, so I was really looking forward to this one.

When I opened the envelope, the aroma was so fresh and full of cherry/almond scent. I dumped most of the 30 g package into my Breville and brewed about three cups’ worth, using the standard settings for green tea.

I don’t know if I should have put the entire envelope of tea into the basket instead of keeping about a tea spoon for later. I could taste the Genmaicha, and it was just as good as it always is from 52 Teas. As a matter of fact, I still have delicious flavored Genmaicha in my tea drawer that I purchased well before Frank stopped selling it.

Anyway, when I smelled the brewed tea, I could smell the toasted rice, but that’s about it. When I drank it, I got no cherry and no almond at all. Just the Genmaicha. As I mentioned before, the tea was on the weak side, in my opinion, and I’m wondering if I should have used the whole packet instead of holding back a teaspoon of it.

So I wouldn’t count it out just yet, but I don’t know if I want to spend another $4 on just one pot of tea when I’m not even sure that the problem is with the brew time and not the tea. It might be worth a try. I’ll change my review if I do that and will reset the ratings.

Flavors: Toasted Rice

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 30 g 25 OZ / 750 ML

Delicious and interesting tea. I am not a huge fan of genmaicha, although I want to be. BUT, if I am going to drink one of these teas, this would be the one. I enjoy the toasted rice flavor as the background with cherries and green tea, it is very good.

Flavors: Cherry, Toasted Rice