Grilled Pineapple

Pineapple
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 g 12 oz / 354 ml

From 52teas

I absolutely LOVE pineapple – and my favorite way to prepare it is to grill fresh spears of pineapple over charcoal. The fruit spears take on a slight smokiness from the charcoal grilling while the natural sugars accumulate on the surface and become caramelized from the intense heat. Grilled pineapple is one of my favorite summertime treats!

So I decided to try to recreate it in tea form: I started with organic Assam and an Assamica grown in the Yunnan province and added just a bit of Lapsang Souchong to the blend for a touch of smokiness. Then I added a bunch of diced pineapples and a kiss of caramel essence.

This tea is true to the name: it tastes like grilled pineapple – only better because – TEA!

organic ingredients: black teas, pineapple, calendula petals & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Fuck, I love this a lot.

I mean it’s a fairly simple blend conceptually but everything is just so well balanced. The dry leaf smells like really good tangy, overripe pineapple with the faintest hint of smoke and an overall savory kind of quality. I asked my manager to smell it, without knowing what it was, and he described it as “Pineapple BBQ Sauce” which, like, yeah! In a great way!

Steeped up it’s also just beautifully well balanced; the pineapple is the main note and it has that syrupy overripe pineapple quality while still being very tangy but it doesn’t in any way overpower the rest of what’s going on either and it’s not cloying. The smoke note from the lapsang comes out a bit more in the steeped tea than it does in the dry aroma but it’s so good – it really added this savory element that makes me feel exactly like I’m grilling pineapple in the back yard on a hot summery day; and that savory/smokey quality with the pineapple!? Peak flavour juxtaposition! Aside from those two main elements, there’s some malt and raisin notes from the non Lapsang black tea used that also just work perfectly with everything else.

It’s the concept fully realized, in my opinion! I love it at much as 52Teas’ Pineapple Bacon Rooibos – one of my favourite pineapple teas of all time. It’s that same sort of savory and sweet play on pineapple and I just adore that.

Fuck yeah, Anne! Nailed it!

52Teas

That intro is awesome!

Right then, I like this a lot. Why? Well, I’ll tell you.

The base is nice and rich and malty. It has a nice heft to it. A very nice heft to it.

That was my problem with Anne’s Pineapple Marshmallow Black of some time ago, that the base didn’t have enough backbone to stand up to the juicy fresh pineapple and pillows of marshmallow.

That has been remedied here. I like it. I like it a lot.

Bravo to the tea maestro!

And now the laundromat. I’ll bring the tea to help bolster some ambition.

Sipdown #8

Ok, one last time for this one. Right off the bat I’m going to confess, I upped the sweetener for the last couple rounds of this. With two splendas I finally get that pineapple pop I was looking for… Unfortunately only on the first steep. That’s not to say that a second steep isn’t pleasing, but the pineapple fades after steep #1. But for one brief shining cup I had my pineapple yummy goodness.

I will be sad to see this one go. I had such high hopes for it and once I added the sufficient amount of sweetener to kickstart the pineapple flavor, it was actually quite nice, However, in all honesty, it shouldn’t take that much sweetener just to make something palatable. So farewell, Grilled Pineapple. I’ll miss you, but not too much.

Flavors: Pineapple

Apparently I am on a 52 Teas kick because every tea I have reached for lately seems to be 52 teas blends. When I opened this one up, I broke the seal, so it is now being stored in a plastic bag. Which just means I will need to drink it sooner rather than later…and I am okay with that because this is grilled pineapple goodness. Just like the sweet treat you get at churrascarias. Yum!!

52Teas

52Teas kicks are good things. :)

tea-sipper