Tea and Scones

Black Teas, Calendula Petals, Natural Flavours, Orange, Raisins
Black Currant, Fig, Raisins, Fruity, Oats, Butter, Dried Fruit, Honey, Molasses, Orange, Pastries, Smooth, Sweet, Baked Bread, Citrus, Grapes
High
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “At first, I didn’t think I liked this tea. It has a strong flavor that I thought was bitterness, but it’s really just that that deep tasty tang from the raisin. The second steep tasted exactly like...” Read full tasting note
  • “I don’t think I’ve even had this one before let alone reviewed it. So here we go I’m not gonna lie, this stuff smells great in bag. I’m getting a sweet raisin smell with black tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (609)! Finished this one off yesterday morning whilst in bed with a comic book. I added just a touch of milk to to the mug as well. It was very relaxing, and quite a peaceful way to begin...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was today’s daily sipper. I got the grape aroma as soon as I opened up my thermos. At first, I thought I put in the wrong tea because of it. Although the aroma was of strong grapes, the flavor...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for August 6, 2018!

Tea and Scones – two great things that taste great together!

I started with a base of organic black teas: a combination of tippy Yunnan, Ceylon & Assam, heavy on the Yunnan – and then I added some orange sections and raisins as well as some sweet, cake-y scone-like essence with just a hint of cream. The raisin is a bit more forward – complimented by the sweet, dry fruit profile of the black teas – while the orange is very delicate, meant more as an accent than a distinct profile. My reason behind this is this: I know that there are a lot of different flavored scones out there (my favorite at the moment is a maple pecan scone from our local bakery), but rather than try to focus on a specific flavored scone, I wanted to focus more on the idea of scones and tea. I didn’t want to overwhelm the nice scone-y taste that I managed to create with too much of another flavor, so I decided to go with a touch of orange and some raisin.

The tea is sweet with a smooth, buttery finish. Really nice!

organic ingredients: black teas, raisins, oranges, calendula petals & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

At first, I didn’t think I liked this tea. It has a strong flavor that I thought was bitterness, but it’s really just that that deep tasty tang from the raisin. The second steep tasted exactly like the first. It didn’t need milk. It was so bready. What a great tea – definitely one of the best from the mystery bag!

I’m not gonna lie, this stuff smells great in bag. I’m getting a sweet raisin smell with black tea background.
Brewed 4min at 212F, 2 tsp to 16 oz water
Taste plain is… Hmm, that actually isn’t bad at all. I’m getting that raisin and fig flavor to it along with the black tea base. I am going to try to put my usual 52 teas single splenda in it to see how that effects it. MMMMM, now the raisin/fig is sweet and really There. It’s kinda drowning out the black tea flavor now. I’m also getting a bit of what I think might be black currant? Hard to say. I’m eating dinner with this (Mac and cheese w/ chicken) and it’s kinda skewing it. Overall, I would recommend this tea. If they ever re-blend it, go try some. It’s pretty tasty.

Flavors: Black Currant, Fig, Raisins

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Sipdown (609)!

Finished this one off yesterday morning whilst in bed with a comic book. I added just a touch of milk to to the mug as well. It was very relaxing, and quite a peaceful way to begin my day. I enjoyed this cup – it was medium bodied, smooth and had a sweet and buttery taste. Undertones of orange; kindof as if someone had brushed a scone with some sort of orange glaze. I saw the raisins in the leaf, but they didn’t translate into the flavour so much for me.

It was a nice cup, but I feel like I wanted to like it more than I actually did purely for the name and concept alone. Thanks for the share Kittenna!

This was today’s daily sipper.

Although the aroma was of strong grapes, the flavor was not. The notes I got were citrus, orange, dried fruit… Fruity in general, and raisins with honey notes. My favorite part was the oats notes (rhymes lol). The after taste stayed with me long after the sip. It reminded me of a good bowl of fruit oatmeal. It was sweet, creamy mouthfeel and smooth. I didn’t get the scone-like essence or hint of cream flavor as I had hoped though. Enjoyable though. :)

Flavors: Fruity, Oats, Raisins

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Swap Sample Sipdown! (45)

From Kawaii433!

This is a very interesting one. The steeped tea has a somewhat grapey aroma, which worried me a little bit.

Luckily, it tastes much closer to raisin than grape. This makes perfect sense to me, since my favorite scones from my local tea house are currant scones. There is also a soft and sweet orange zest flavor that goes quite well with the raisin, which is rather sweet and rich-tasting. I also get a nice pastry sort of note that really sells the scone angle.

I like this much better than I expected… The raisin is very enjoyable, with its dark, almost molasses-y notes. I dig it.

Looks like there are still some tasters in stock… :P

Flavors: Butter, Dried Fruit, Fig, Honey, Molasses, Orange, Pastries, Raisins, Smooth, Sweet

Kawaii433

I love scones so I look forward to trying this too. I may not taste all those notes but I hope it’s in the “Yum” column! hehe

Ehhhh, not sure about this one. Like other reviewers, I’m tasting raisiny/grape notes primarily, with a dash of orangey citrus. Nice base, and the aroma is of freshly baked treats, but I’m not really hooked on this one. Not really sure how I wanted it to taste, to be fair, but the result is just okay to me.

Trick or Treat! I decided to switch things up for my Doctor Who episode viewing today and instead of making English Breakfast, make something else that was decidedly a bit British, but also fit with my October dessert theme… Afternoon Tea in a tea, Tea & Scones!

The dry leaf smells incredibly sweet and fruity, with a very strong raisin aroma and a little honey sweet. I steeped 3.5g of tea leaf (removing the raisins and orange peel from the weight and adding them back in afterwards) for three minutes in 16 oz. of 205F water. I nursed my little teapot throughout the episode while munching on McVities biscuits… mmm!

The brewed tea was a nice reddish hue, and had a strong grapey aroma from the raisins, very sweet and fruity like the dry leaf. This was a very sweet tea! It had a strong flavor of raisins, very juicy and a honeyed sort of sweet, with a grape note that was more natural that I typically find in teas (whenever I taste grape it is always that “Kool-Aid” sort of grape flavor rather than actual grapes). There was a very subtle raisin bread/oat note to the base of the tea, which reminded me a lot more of grapenuts cereal than scones, since I didn’t really pick up on any buttery notes. There was a very subtle hint of citrus right at the finish, which I think may have had a lot more to do with the base leaf than the added orange, since there wasn’t much of a distinct orange flavor; the sweet raisin flavor was very dominant. The tea also brewed quite smooth; the sweetness meant there was no room for any bitterness from the black base and I didn’t notice much, if any, astringency lingering after the sip.

It was nice, but definitely a very sweet cuppa. I think this may be the sweetest tea I’ve tried for my Treat or Treat October that wasn’t a chocolate tea!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Citrus, Fruity, Grapes, Honey, Oats, Raisins, Smooth, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 16 OZ / 470 ML

Sample from my order with 52 teas recently. I wanted to try it today so that I can pack the rest of it in the bag of teas for VariaTEA. Hopefully she has more success with it than i did because this is a total miss for me. Something about the tea + maybe the orange just made this a sort of musty tea with a flavour i just wasn’t up for. Maybe it’s the raisins? Not sure, but whatever it is, it just doesn’t work for me. I’m a little ok with that since there are so many other 52 teas that i want and can’t have unless they come back :)

This was the Tea of the Week for August 6. It’s become one of my favorite morning teas lately – but my day started a bit late today – so I’m having it at 9 pm. I suppose that will work out OK though because I have quite a bit to get done tonight so it’s good to get some caffeine.

The first time I tried this one, I tried it with no additions and I liked it alright that way, but with a teensy bit of sugar, the flavors pop a little more and the scone notes tasted sweeter, more like what I’d get from my favorite tea room (which is no longer – Myrtle’s CLOSED. sad)

Raisin and orange are not typical scone flavors – at least, I can’t recall when I’ve ever had a raisin orange scone – but when I originally blended this, I was envisioning more along the lines of a tea cake or a panettone type flavor – but when I first tasted it – it reminded me so much of the overall experience of tea and scones so I decided to call it that.

The black tea base has a strong Yunnan flavor which is intentional, I went heavy on the Yunnan because I wanted some of the bready and the honey-esque tones that the Yunnan that I use to be a main focus from the black tea base. I thought that the honey-like flavors would tie in nicely with the scone-like flavors.

A really nice tea that reminds me of my favorite part of afternoon tea – after the sandwiches are gone and the sweet tray arrives! YUM!