Candy Cane Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha

Green Tea
Genmaicha, Natural Flavours, Peppermint, Peppermint Candy, Vanilla Bean
Grain, Malt, Mint, Peppermint, Smooth, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Vanilla, Vegetal, Autumn Leaf Pile, Candy, Dry Grass, Marshmallow, Sweet, Butter, Creamy, Grass, Rice, Cream, Nutty, Sweet, warm grass
Medium
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “A tasty dessert blend for a weird night. I’ve taken on another job at a university and and so I’m working some odd hours. I wanted something low caffeine but also comforting and rich. I’m trying to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another from Annie— thanks so much for sharing! I better write a tasting note now, as I have less than a teaspoon left. I LOVE 52Teas’ marshmallow genmaicha blends, so always happy to see more...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is my laundry companion. It is creamy and minty and very festive with some nice roasty rice notes. Not a lot of marshmallow which is a little disappointing but still a nice tea to play...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! (4 | 14) This one was mighty tasty! But I don’t feel too bad sipping it down, since I have other candy cane teas in my cupboard. Plus I’m planning to order some of the plain marshmallow...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

This is our first NEW tea of our 12 Teas of Christmas box (we reblend 8 teas every year, and create 4 new blends – but this year we did things just a little different . . . more on that on Day 8 of the countdown!) and this new tea is something special! Every year, I like to include at least one minty tea in the Christmas box because mint and the holidays just seem to go together, right? Last year, we didn’t have a minty tea in the Christmas box, and it wasn’t until I started working on the teas of the week for December that I realized that I hadn’t crafted ANY minty teas for the holiday season so I needed to come up with something quick and that’s when I came up with the idea for the candy cane white tea which I loved, particularly because of the candy canes that I used in that blend, an organically crafted, all natural, vegan, gluten free and allergen free candy cane. I simply fell in love with these things so when the holidays approached this year, I ordered some and then came up with the blend for which I’d be using them!

Also, I was a little surprised that this year, none of the Genmaicha blends were outstanding vote catchers in our poll especially considering that last year, we had two stand out Genmaicha vote getters – and since I do have quite a few Genmaicha fans out there, that suggested to me that people needed a new, interesting Genmaicha blend!

And here it is!

I started with organic Genmaicha and added peppermint, vanilla beans, marshmallow root and of course some bits of the aforementioned candy canes. The result: a yummy marshmallow treat-y cuppa with crisp, cool notes of peppermint! It tastes like a holiday marshmallow treat! So good!

organic ingredients: green tea, toasted/popped rice, peppermint, candy canes (organic cane sugar, organic brown rice syrup, natural peppermint flavor, color added [organic fruit juice]), vanilla beans & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

A tasty dessert blend for a weird night. I’ve taken on another job at a university and and so I’m working some odd hours. I wanted something low caffeine but also comforting and rich. I’m trying to get through more of my caffinated teas because I have a record number of teas right now and I need to cut down by ~50 or more. I’ve had to store tea in my room because both of my drawers and the cabinet are full. Oops!

This has a lot of mint, but it certainly conveys candy cane because there is a nice dose of vanilla in there. I can taste the sugar/marshmallow flavour as well. The genmaicha is toasty but vegetal, which in my opinion clashes with the peppermint a bit. Rice + peppermint? hmm not my favourite combo. It was a good cup and I look forward to drinking it again however I probably would not buy it again. I like some of the other genmaichas better.

Flavors: Grain, Malt, Mint, Peppermint, Smooth, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Vanilla, Vegetal

190 °F / 87 °C 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 15 OZ / 450 ML

Another from Annie— thanks so much for sharing! I better write a tasting note now, as I have less than a teaspoon left. I LOVE 52Teas’ marshmallow genmaicha blends, so always happy to see more variations. This one looked like mostly popped rice (and I didn’t see any peppermint candy in my serving). However, there is plenty of mint and marshmallow flavor. It’s a surprisingly delicious combination. The briskness of the mint with the creamy marshmallow is great. It seems like a dessert! This is a unique blend, yet straight forward. It is what it says it is!
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug // 28 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 27 minutes after boiling // 2-3 minute steep
2019 Sipdowns: 32 (52Teas’ Butter Pecan… tossed the last couple of teaspoons because this one is probably around 10 years old and the flavor is just WEIRD now. I don’t mind old teas but not OLD teas.)

52Teas

was that the original butter pecan? From Frank?

tea-sipper

yes,it was Frank’s blend.. it sadly didn’t age gracefully. the flavor was completely different from when I first tried it, when it was an old tea even back then. but the tea was way past the age of me expecting it to be delicious. I hate throwing tea away, but this one was just off.

52Teas

Yeah, that is one drawback to flavored teas especially – is that the flavors won’t hold up for years – so it is not my recommendation to hoard these teas (trust me, I do understand the tendency to hoard teas!) – enjoy them while they’re still fresh and you’ll get the most enjoyment from them. :)

tea-sipper

Yeah, hopefully that was one of my oldest teas!

This tea is my laundry companion. It is creamy and minty and very festive with some nice roasty rice notes. Not a lot of marshmallow which is a little disappointing but still a nice tea to play around with while it lasts.

Sipdown! (4 | 14)

This one was mighty tasty! But I don’t feel too bad sipping it down, since I have other candy cane teas in my cupboard. Plus I’m planning to order some of the plain marshmallow treat genmaicha once the vanilla marshmallow black tea is in stock!

I’ll have to remember this combination for the holiday season though, I would love to try a real candy cane marshmallow treat! I’m thinking dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes… ❤

Flavors: Butter, Candy, Creamy, Marshmallow, Peppermint, Smooth, Sweet, Toasted Rice

tea-sipper

That sounds like an awesome idea for a marshmallow treat.

Cameron B.

It’s sort of like a peppermint bark marshmallow treat mash-up. ;)

12 Belated Teas of Christmas – #2
Wasn’t overly excited for this one as it smelled a bit more pepperminty than I’d like. However, the flavour is a pleasant surprise. The mintiness is fairly light and refreshing, and doesn’t overpower the creamy marshmallowy genmaicha. Wouldn’t be a favourite but I’m quite enjoying my cup!

I suspect this is a really nice tea if you like Genmaicha. I have a pretty visceral dislike of it (I always hated the scent of puffed rice cereal, and, well, that’s essentially what’s in here). I gave it a try because you never know until you try, but I’ve confirmed I still dislike it. It’s nicely balanced and the minty sting is just the perfect amount. I’m not going to give it a numerical rating because it’s not fair when I just dislike one of the main ingredients.

Flavors: Grass, Peppermint, Rice, Toasted Rice

2nd tea of Christmas

firstly, I just want to say that these little mystery teas have been a really nice thing to look forward to. Yesterday I had to take my cat to the vet and talk about an impossible choice regarding his quality of life. well, it’s not an impossible choice, but rather a very hard one. however, my cat does seem to have more of an appetite today than he has had the last couple of days…I think it has a lot to do with the treatment they put in his ear. these are things that are hard for me to deal with and often I just need a break with music and tea.

The tea from yesterday was…Coconut Fog? Foggy Coconut? I gave that one to my mom because, unfortunately, I am not a fan of coconut, but she loved it. today though? I love genmaicha, and especially enjoy all of the various flavoured ones that Anne has created, and this was absolutely no exception. the roasty toasty-ness of the genmaicha flavour with vanilla and peppermint? YES, thank you.

52Teas

I’m glad that you had someone you could offer the Foggy Coconut tea to!

tea-sipper

I’m so sorry about your kitty buddy. It’s not an easy decision with any animal. What helped me with my cat years ago, was my aunt saying ’it’s time’ and that really made it easier having that ‘second opinion’ sort of thing. It wasn’t just my decision. I was basically a teenager though, but my aunt had many cats, so I trusted her opinion. Keep listening to that music and drinking that tea though.

annie

@Anne, my mom doesn’t really drink “hot tea” at all, so I was kind of surprised that she actually tried it. she sent me a text saying she took Foggy Coconut to work with her and later in the day sent me a picture and gushing about how much she loved it :)

annie

@tea-sippper, it’s both an easy and hard decision. it’s easy because 1) he has chronic kidney disease, which has no cure 2) his body is at a point where it cannot fight infections and he is having a harder time bouncing back from those infections. in the last couple of months he’s had four infections, 2 urinary tract infections (one of which was some kind of awful bacterial infection that was resistant to most antibiotics. ugh. he had to take a hardcore antibiotic for 2 weeks, every 12 hours and it was a lot), an infection in his arm, and most recently a yeast infection in his ear. these infections also come with the side effect of him not feeling good and not eating. not eating/losing weight rapidly can cause some nasty liver problems. it’s hard because he’s been my best friend for 15 years and I can’t imagine what life will be like when he’s not here. but I also know that living a life full of illness isn’t fair to him. I cried at the vet’s office while discussing this with his doctor, I cried driving him back home, I cried when telling my mom about my decision, and I cried some more yesterday while he was sleeping by my feet. it’s a lot and I wish I were a lil bit stronger.

52Teas

@annie – I’m so sorry about your cat. The cat that I had when I was younger had chronic kidney disease also – and it broke my heart to have to put him down but there was also a sense of relief that he was no longer suffering. He too was my best friend through my teens when I was going through lots of stuff – it was so hard to say goodbye and that’s a pain I wouldn’t wish on anyone. I’m so sorry.

tea-sipper

I basically was going to say everything Anne just said. My cat in my teens also had kidney failure. You ARE strong and it ain’t easy. He has had a long life with the most caring of owners.

Kittenna

<3 We also lost a cat to kidney failure. He was only 12 and it broke my heart. My parents made the decision after we tried basically all heroic measures aside from a kidney transplant (that’s probably not an option but I was looking for anything). I cried for days. What I had to realize was that his quality of life was more important than my desire not to lose him. We probably waited longer than we should have; his back legs stopped functioning near the end so he basically couldn’t do anything anymore. :’(

Sending hugs and strength as you go through this rough time.

2nd Day of Christmas Teas

This one is nice, especially for an upset stomach that’s still craving sweets (me). It’s a kind of cousin to Graveyard Mist, but the added dimension of rice satisfies the sweet tooth as opposed to cleaning it (I love Graveyard Mist but it is kind of in that tooth hygiene category).

Bottom line is, if you’ve had one or two Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha versions you’ll have an idea of what’s in store for you (all good and cozy things).

Flavors: Marshmallow, Peppermint, Rice

Holiday Tea-son! My Bird & Blend tea is an herbal today, and one I happen to have in my collection, albeit one I haven’t tried yet, so I cut open my sachet and just added it to my larger bag. I’ll sample it this evening, during my “herbal hours,” likely in a larger teapot than I would’ve been able to make with just a single sachet since I have enough leaf to accomodate that.

My migraine still hasn’t broken (onto day three now… meh) and my nausea is not playing nice, so I was happy to see that Day 2 of my Twelve Days of Tea from 52Teas is a minty tea! Mint or ginger tend to be the two herbal balms when my stomach is having none of it, so I decided to make a cup of this while I’m undoubtedly upsetting my workplace being out again. (And I am so happy that Foggy Coconut was the tea for Day 1! The entire box was worth it for that, I wanted that tea so much… thanks for everyone else that voted that tea back into the box, I’ve been going through serious Foggy Coconut withdrawals since I sipdowned my pouch!)

The dry tea smells very sweet and minty, but brewed up, it actually smells mostly like a nice roasty genmaicha, with a subtle hint of creamy mint. That first sip was divine; I love genmaicha, and I was still getting that warm, comforting, toasty rice flavor, but this sweet mint quickly fills out the sip and leaves this refreshing, cool sensation in the mouth. They actually balance out quite nicely; warm and comforting, cool and soothing. The mint was brisk but there was also a creamy sweetness, and I loved that it wasn’t that overpowering mint that can easily overwhelm a holiday blend, and the tasty roasted rice flavor of the genmaicha also shines through. It was nice and calming on my stomach that quite frankly was being a petulant child and telling me it wanted nothing, and now I might be able to actually brave some toast if I so dare. Bless!

Flavors: Cream, Mint, Nutty, Peppermint, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Toasted Rice

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 350 ML
CrowKettle

Migraines are no fun, even when they are short-lived. I hope yours breaks soon!

mrmopar

Ugh. Days of migraines suck. Hope you kick it soon.

This is our 2nd Tea of Christmas and it’s a brand new blend! Last year, I crafted a Candy Cane White tea, and this year, I wanted another candy cane blend – so I decided to combine candy cane with a tried and true favorite – the Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha.

This has a nice minty note to it without being TOO minty – the vanilla and marshmallow notes curb the pepperminty edge to it just enough so that it doesn’t take over. It’s sweet, it’s cool and crisp – and I love the roasty-toasty notes of the genmaicha. YUM!

VariaTEA

My dad has yet to forward me these teas but I am very much enjoying hearing what I am in for. This sounds awesome!

Sounds very delicious!

sounds great!

52Teas

I really love this one. @VariaTEA – I’m sorry for the delay in getting them out. for the first time, I was actually AHEAD of schedule before my unexpected 10 day stay at the hospital – ugh!

VariaTEA

No need to apologize. It is NEVER your fault. My Dad just likes to take forever to pass things on haha.