Chocolate Orange Cannoli

Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “OK, so those of you who pay attention to my posts in the forum and/or my posts on facebook – you’re probably aware that I crafted the teas for Amoda Tea’s subscription box for December. This is one...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (796)! Thank you for sharing Kittenna! I finally get why Sil is going a little bit crazy over this tea blend; it’s really good! You know what it reminds me of? Butiki’s Three Friends blend...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love a chocolate orange tea! This one definitely didn’t disappoint. Nic creamy vanilla/orange, with mild chocolate notes to balance out the citrus. Very well-balanced, and super tasty.” Read full tasting note
  • “am. in. love. Seriously. In some ways i’m stupidly glad that it’s am amoda blend so that i can get more. Though i HATE amoda’s shopping charges – they’re ridiculous! The rest will be off to...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

This Tea was Crafted for the December Box for Amoda Tea!

This is the third tea (of six teas) that I crafted for the December box for Amoda Tea. (The first was our Pancake Breakfast, our ever-popular blend that is part of our D’s Teas/Permanent Collection, and the second was our Eggnog Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha.) This particular tea was inspired by the curator of Amoda Tea (aka LuAnn from The Cup of Life blog) She offered several ideas for a holiday inspired blend – including the combined flavors of orange & chocolate as well as the idea of a cannoli for Christmas. We combined these two ideas – a cannoli & the flavors of chocolate & orange) into one tea.

To craft this blend, I started with a blend of Yunnan teas (a Golden Monkey as well as Yunnan Imperial – both organic) and added cacao nibs & shells, air-dried orange pieces & some allspice. The result is a splendiforously delightful tea (Yes, of course splendiforously is a word . . . you’re on the internet where everything is correct.) that has a fantastic balance of chocolate & orange flavors, a nice pastry-like note, a creamy note & just a hint – a subtle tone of spice from the allspice. It’s a tea that is sure to please.

This blend is organic, VEGAN, gluten free & allergen free!

organic ingredients: black teas, cacao nibs, cacao shells, oranges, allspice & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

OK, so those of you who pay attention to my posts in the forum and/or my posts on facebook – you’re probably aware that I crafted the teas for Amoda Tea’s subscription box for December. This is one of those teas – and I’m finally adding it to our website (for a limited time – only while supplies last).

This is really yummy. It starts with a yunnan base (Golden Monkey & Yunnan Imperial – both are organic!) and to that I added oranges, cacao nibs & shells and some allspice for just a hint of warmth. I really love this blend. Super yummy!

Sipdown (796)!

You know what it reminds me of? Butiki’s Three Friends blend – all the major players are kind of there, in terms of flavour. Big check on both the creamy, smooth chocolate notes and sweet orange – and then that “marshmallow” element kind of loosely feels like it’s being fulfilled with the cream/vanilla note I’m getting which I’d imagine is meant to replicate the “filling” of a cannoli!? Added bonus is that the tea also comes through very nicely, and isn’t lost under all the other flavours.

I’m not entirely sure I’m sold on the cannoli concept, but I also think I just don’t care because for a brief moment I got to relive the spirit of Butiki in this cup. I think it’s a testament to Anne in that, when she nails a blend, she fucking nails that blend.

The rest will be off to variaTEA or I’ll drink what i have again until my order arrives lol

gmathis

Chocolate and orange are just perfect together, aren’t they?

When it’s done right…absolutely! I haven’t had a good chocolate orange tea since butiki :(

52Teas

For the record, I only blended one batch for Amoda – there are no plans to reblend.

@anne….I might have purchased 150g lol

52Teas

Well, actually, it was more than one batch because they needed a large quantity of tea, so what I should have said is that no arrangements have been made to reblend this or any of the other teas in the future.

52Teas

@Sil – :) That should keep you in the tea for a while!

@anne – maaaaaaayyyybe lol it’s really good.

52Teas

I’m happy you’re enjoying it!

Second tea from the December Amoda box!

This tea instantly reminded me of Butiki’s Two Friends – the orange and chocolate combination smelled just like it. Flavourwise, it’s similar but on a different base, and more chocolatey. The orange aroma hits first, followed by a rich chocolate and more muted orange flavour, backed by a fantastic base tea blend that’s providing the body and making this a well-rounded, nuanced tea (and a nice lingering aftertaste). It’s really good; I’m enjoying it more than I expected. Does it taste like cannoli? I have no idea, but it is quite delicious and I’d like to have a little bit more of it. Haven’t had such a perfectly executed chocolate orange tea in a while. I’m anticipating Sil will enjoy this one?

Are you brewing these according to the package directions or like Anne usually has on her packages?

Kittenna

Neither, I think I probably did about 1.5 tsp for 2-3 minutes, 90ish degree water. That’s kind of my default for blacks right now.