Chipotle Chocolate Pudding

Chocolate, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by Lauren | A Quarter to Tea

• “Tried this tea straight, but I’m pretty sure it would do better as a latte, or at least with a bit of milk, and possibly sweetener. I found it to be pretty spicy, which basically dominated any...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlog/sipdown Honestly, I’m not getting a lot of pudding flavor or texture here. Instead, this tastes like a thin Mexican hot chocolate. It’s probably a mild-to-moderate kick of spice but I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ooooo, I think I can smell the chipotle! I don’t understand why spellcheck keeps getting caught up on chipotle. It’s not that weird of a word. I can smell a little bit of chocolate under the...” Read full tasting note
  • “This definitely needs underleafing. Or maybe less time in the infuser. Second infusion was amazing. Not very spicy today, so I had no additions. Very flavourful. Yum.” Read full tasting note

From A Quarter to Tea

Chipotle Chocolate Black Tea:

Starting with a base of Assam, Lapsang, and Keemun for a rich smokiness, we add cacao, ground chipotles, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for a smoky, spicy experience. Add a bit of coconut for creaminess, and you have a winner!

Excellent with milk and sugar (though it does dull the spice)

All orders come in resealable packaging and include a reusable muslin cotton tea bag.

Ingredients:

Assam black tea, Laspsang Souchong black tea, Keemun black tea, dried coconut, cacao nibs, red pepper flakes, chipotle chile, natural flavors

Brew and Size Instructions:

Use 1-2 teaspoons for an 8 oz cup
Steep for 4-5 minutes at 200F water

About A Quarter to Tea View company

Tried this tea straight, but I’m pretty sure it would do better as a latte, or at least with a bit of milk, and possibly sweetener. I found it to be pretty spicy, which basically dominated any other possible flavourings. Interesting, though – the cup smelled quite nice and sweet the next day, so beneath the spicing, it might actually be a really nice tea. I plan to try it again in sweetened latte form.

Backlog/sipdown

Honestly, I’m not getting a lot of pudding flavor or texture here. Instead, this tastes like a thin Mexican hot chocolate. It’s probably a mild-to-moderate kick of spice but I have an Eastern European palate so it tastes super spicy to me. A splash of rice milk helped smooth out the spice. I think whole milk would probably be great here to add some thickness and mellow out the chili flavor. Alas, I have none.

Flavors: Chocolate, Spicy

Evol Ving Ness

Eastern European palate. Ah, therefore, salt, pepper, and possibly caraway, poppy, and sesame seeds. Sadly, probably not great tea enhancers.

I can smell a little bit of chocolate under the chipotle. First sip was a little flavorless with slight heat at the back of my throat. As I sip on the flavor grows slightly, I can taste chipotle, not just feel the heat (which is also growing). I’m not getting much in the way of chocolate and there is a flatness at the start of the sip. Going to try adding sugar to see if it brings it out. I hesitate to add creamer because I don’t want to dampen the heat from the spice that is pleasantly lingering in my mouth. The sugar really does brighten this! All the flavors are more prominent and I can pick out a chocolate pudding hiding behind the chipotle. A hint of an ashy flavor mid sip that turns into a roasted pepper taste later on. The spice is picking up a little and warming me on this overcast day. This has the perfect level of spice for me, a good amount of kick that keeps my attention without being overwhelming, but the chocolate pudding part could use a little amping up to compete with the chipotle.

Yum.

I wish I had the good sense to try this next to the Mexican Hot Chocolate as I feel they are similar enough that it would have been interesting to compare their flavor profiles. Oh well.

As I sip on this, the first thing I noticed was it does have a smooth, silky texture that one would expect from pudding. There is also a slight burn at the back of the throat that comes with spice/chipotle but flavorwise, I am not getting any. Also, there is the faintest essence of chocolate but I am not sure if that is because it is actually there or if I just want it to be there given the name. It’s not a particularly bad cuppa, it just leaves me wanting more – more spice, more chocolate, more everything!

I love the sound of this. Truly, truly. And this morning, it was just the thing my heart desired to try for the first time.

If memory serves, this was one of the Chocolate Collection I purchased around Black Friday. The ribbon sticker is sparkly, so it is definitely from my most recent purchase.

The smell of the dry leaf was chocolatey nice. Steeped it up, not too long, not too short. And now, I am disappoint. The scent of the chocolate has completely disappeared. Ok, maybe a vague vague whiff.

I am not getting any smokiness: where oh where are you, Lapsang Souchong? I am not getting any chocolatiness. I am not getting any spice. I am not getting any thick custard puddling-like cream. Or any cream, really.

Pretty much straight black tea. A nice straight black tea, but that’s all it is.

Fjellrev

Aww, that’s too bad. I find QTT’s chocolate notes to be rather faint.

Evol Ving Ness

I haven’t concluded that yet. I am more concerned that my most recent order had my teas sealed up in a box for longer than is good for them. I had asked Lauren to delay shipping after my purchase as I was going away. So that time plus the shipping time may have been fatal, to at least some of them. So far, from that order, I have tried only three others. Two were fine and flavourful, but Spumoni, which had received such rave reviews, tasted like nothing but green tea. I thought that I would try again, steeping parameters and such, though I usually steep briefly and follow guidelines for tea types. I haven’t reviewed any of those from the most recent batch. Anyway, arrrrrrgh. I am really really hoping that this has to do with the blend rather than what I’ve noted above.

Indigobloom

Did you try it with milk? I used dairy but I imagine other types would do well