Scarborough Fair

Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “091/365 This is another I chose to try in sample/taster size, and another almost instant regret. Two cups just isn’t going to be enough… The first thing that attracted me to this one was the name,...” Read full tasting note
  • “The tea is described as fruity and herbaceous and that basically hits the nail on the head. Sweet raspberry gives way to sage which gives way to rosemary. Not my choice but could be pleasant for...” Read full tasting note
  • “A very interesting tea – the rosemary isn’t something I’ve had in tea before, and was actually quite refreshing and pleasant. I’m looking forward to the second half of this sample because of it....” Read full tasting note

From A Quarter to Tea

Scarborough Fair:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair? Better bring some tea! Raspberry, sage and rosemary come together to create a fruity and herbaceous cup with full muscatel notes in the base.

Sikkim is located just north of Darjeeling in India. The only garden there, Temi, does its teas in a Darjeeling style. The base tea here is comparable to a second flush Darjeeling tea.

All orders come in resealable packaging and include a reusable muslin cotton tea bag.

Ingredients:

Temi Estate Sikkim Tea, Freeze-Dried Raspberries, Rosemary, Sage, Raspberry Leaf, Natural Flavors

Brew and Size Instructions:

Use 1-2 teaspoons for a 6 oz cup
Steep for 3-5 minutes at 190F water

About A Quarter to Tea View company

2007 tasting notes

091/365

The first thing that attracted me to this one was the name, for its inevitable Simon & Garfunkel/The Graduate connection. I also like the deeper celtic/pagan resonance, and the inclusion of rosemary and sage. It adds an extra something to an otherwise straightforward raspberry darjeeling blend.

In taste terms, it’s delicious. The raspberry is sweet and tart by turns, juicy, and an accurate representation of an actual raspberry. The rosemary and sage are very delicate background notes, but they add a slightly savoury, herbaceous quality that’s more complementary than I thought it would be. Who knew raspberry would work so well with herbs? Certainly not me!

The darjeeling base is light and very mildly floral, kind of fleeting actually; the raspberry is clearly the main focus here, and remains so throughout.

Overall, I’m really happy with this one. It’s another I’d buy more of next time, perhaps for cold brewing in the summer…

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Dustin

I’ve been curious about this tea! For me, Scarborough Fair reminds me of the Muppet Show episode where Paul Simon was guest and they did this song. Miss Piggy almost scream yells “parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme” as Paul looks on warily and continues to sing.

The tea is described as fruity and herbaceous and that basically hits the nail on the head. Sweet raspberry gives way to sage which gives way to rosemary. Not my choice but could be pleasant for those that like this sort of thing.

Check out the full review here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2017/10/17/scarborough-fair-from-a-quarter-to-tea/

A very interesting tea – the rosemary isn’t something I’ve had in tea before, and was actually quite refreshing and pleasant. I’m looking forward to the second half of this sample because of it. This tea also lasted through at least 3 infusions, which is impressive for a flavoured tea.

gmathis

Interesting. I’ve got a rosemary plant that’s gone nuts (“Feed me, Seymour”); should pop in a sprig next time I’m doing a DIY herbal concoction!

Kittenna

You should, it might be delicious! I might suggest only using a very small amount though, and not infusing for too long – I feel like a tea could get too rosemary-y very quickly.

gmathis

A friend recently gave me a packet of holy basil/tulsi seeds. Looking forwarding to spiking steeps with that, too!