Russian Bonfire

Calendula Petals, Darjeeling Tea, Lapsang Souchong, Safflower
Fruity, Jam, Malt, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Lupiressmoon

• “Added a little cream to this and I am loving it! I really like the bold yet smooth smoke flavor and I can pick up a little on the jam like flavors as well that really add a nice touch to this tea....” Read full tasting note
  • “This sample seems like an appropriate choice for my 666th note (current politics aside, my family also escaped the Soviet Union back in the day so I’ll rarely miss an opportunity to take a dig at...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very good! I love Lapsang Souchong tea so I wanted to give this one a try. It’s not as smokey as my straight Lapsang, but for fans of this type of tea who don’t care for heavy smoke this should be...” Read full tasting note

From A Quarter to Tea

Russian Bonfire is our take on a Russian Caravan tea. During the time of Czar, chest of tea would travel on camelback from China to Moscow. This tea was famous for the smoky smell of the campfire it would absorb along the journey.

Our version is sweet and jammy with a rich smoky flavor that pairs well with the darker muscatel notes of the Castleton Darjeeling. Blended with a flourish of petals to add dryness and look like those iconic bonfires.

About A Quarter to Tea View company

Added a little cream to this and I am loving it! I really like the bold yet smooth smoke flavor and I can pick up a little on the jam like flavors as well that really add a nice touch to this tea. It tastes really well balanced and I’m hoping it is good for at least one resteep because I could drink this all day!

This sample seems like an appropriate choice for my 666th note (current politics aside, my family also escaped the Soviet Union back in the day so I’ll rarely miss an opportunity to take a dig at Russia – come at me, bots). Unfortunately, I really dislike smoky teas so I’m mostly in this for the pun. I only steeped it for three minutes – the lower end of the recommended time – in hopes of cutting down on the smoky flavor. It didn’t work. All I can taste is the lapsang souchong smokiness. Maybe a hint of berry in the aftertaste? I tried adding a splash of rice milk, which successfully toned down the smokiness to a level that I’m comfortable drinking, but I still can’t make out any other flavors. I just don’t think this tea is for me. It’s not a knock on the tea; I just don’t enjoy smoky teas and can’t get past that here.

Very good! I love Lapsang Souchong tea so I wanted to give this one a try. It’s not as smokey as my straight Lapsang, but for fans of this type of tea who don’t care for heavy smoke this should be perfect. It’s incredibly smooth with a light fruit undertaste (as the website states, a bit jammy). The smell is also great – not heavy on the smoke smell but it’s there.

Flavors: Fruity, Jam, Malt, Smoke