Grandma's Fruit Cake

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

1 Tasting Note View all

From A Quarter to Tea

Taiwanese formosa oolong, with all the flavours of the season. Dried fruits, nuts, and rum.

Oolong tea, dried cherry, raisins, dried currants, dried candied orange peel (orange peel & rind, sugar), chopped pecans, natural flavours

About A Quarter to Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

From last week!

There’s a lot going on with this blend – and immediately, from smelling the dry leaf, I get the sense that there’s probably a lot of flavouring packed into this tea. However, steeped up I quite like it! The roasted oolong was a really good choice for tea base because it adds a great depth and denseness overall and the nuttier roasted notes really play up this idea of a candied fruit/mixed nut fruit cake like all the nicer homemade/artisan ones generally have. I taste notes of pecan/walnut quite specifically too! There’s a good general sweetness level; I swear I’m getting maple notes and a molasses/brown sugar thing that feels very accurate to me of really good fruit cakes!

But how is the fruit note of this fruit cake, you ask!? Well, it’s a little bit boozy bordering on medicinal – like some kind of cherry or maybe blackcurrant brandy!? It’s strong, for sure, but oddly works for me. It’s got that syrupy sweetness that does remind me of those little candied bits of fruit or even a sweet but heavier maraschino cherry vibe!? It works really well with the nutty and roasty elements of the blend and I 100% get “Fruit Cake” from the overall profile!