Ali Shan

Oolong Tea
Cut grass, Floral, Mint, Grass, Green, Honeysuckle, Vegetal, Butter, Citrus, Honeydew, Lime, Rainforest, Tart, Wet Rocks
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Portuguese explorers called this island. The oolong tea grown here continues to be called as such. The exquisite bouquet of Formosa Oolong tea is regarded to be the finest in the world. Complex floral notes echo on your palate as you enjoy this product of Taiwan’s Ali mountain. Light bodied and softly sweet with an underlying complexity, this oolong will surely come to haunt. Perfect for multiple infusions.

About Adagio Teas View company

HOLY CRAP THIS IS SUCH A CLEAN AND DELICIOUS OOLONG. WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE NOOO!!! I totally want to get some of this someday though, it’s super great. Such a light colour!

Single cip, Honey

A bit better this time around. Still a flavor in there that makes my nose wrinkle a bit.

teatortoise

Is it the citrusy flavor?

Previously I’ve brewed this western style, with good results. Today I tried 5g in my 100ml gaiwan. 10 second rinse. THEN: I got distracted by the election results on TV (first time I voted today, yay!) and completely overbrewed it. _ I was trying to go for [20, 15, 20, 30, 45 etc], but ended up doing something like [30, 20, 35, 55, 70?, 3 mins??]. You know what I’m not even sure. I was counting silently in my head then it got all jumbled when those heavily hairsprayed people with extremely white teeth on TV started rattling out other numbers.

But thankfully this tea still came out alright, despite my mishandling. I drank all steeps, shared some with my mom, and she even asked for seconds. I did manage to pull together enough attentiveness to get one fantastic brew though, I think it was the third. Now if only I could repeat that…

{_falls on knees_} I’m so sorry Alishan! Next time I promise to accord you the mindful brewing you deserve! ;_;

195 °F / 90 °C

I tried to like it. I wanted to like it. BUT…I don’t. This tea smells musty, tastes sharp at first then turns super dry. It’s almost like a dry white wine but without the promise of a little buzz. Does anyone want my sample tin? I’ll trade ya!

Jillian

I’d offer but I don’t have a heck of a lot of offer in return unless you want some Stash teabags or flavoured rooibos. Also postage might be an issue since I’m in western Canada. If you’re still interested my email addy is [email protected]

Very light tea with some sweet notes, cut grass, a hint of some mint. Many better Ali Shans out there.

Flavors: Cut grass, Floral, Mint

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I always have an interesting time trying to brew these in my gaiwan, because the leaves are SO tightly rolled. The second steep always runs the best for me.

First of all, my favorite thing about this tea is the look of it. Ali Shan has the most beautiful leaf-lay when you’re done steeping. Talk about a picture perfect leaf. Gorgeous large, wrinkled green leaves that fill up the entire gaiwan after only being a tiny amount to start with. The liquor is a light amber/green and it’s beautifully translucent. A very pretty tea.

The initial aroma is vegetal but not in a lawn-clippings king of way, it’s very approachable. It’s more of a mossy, wet river rocks kind of smell. The smell is a lot less floral than the actual taste, however.

The taste is delightfully buttery, smooth, more like a green than an oolong at some points. The second steep always carries more of the floral aspects than the first. There’s aspects of honeysuckle that like to peek out in the different infusions. The taste changes so much because there’s a decent amount of stem material in the tea that infuse a little less or more depending on the state of unfurl the leaf is in.

It’s a relaxing tea, a mind clearer. I always seem to come back to it even though I have left Adagio for other companies. Maybe when I run out I might go back for a little more.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Green, Honeysuckle, Vegetal

Got this as a sample from the Adagio store because I spent a good hour there with a friend talking with the employees. It would never be something I’d buy myself since it’s pretty expensive, so I was really thankful that this was my free sample!

And honestly, I can understand why it costs so much. I never thought I’d use “buttery” to describe tea, but it’s absolutely applicable here. You can steep this tea twice and it will taste just as good the second time, which does make it a bit more cost effective. So Ali Shan, I will never buy you, but I’m glad I got the experience somehow.

… I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshing peachy aftertaste, after eventually steeping at a slightly even lower temperature, and a little more lingering steep times. After a year, a good tea can still prove to be discretely tasteful.

A good tea is like an old friend.

This oolong is hands down the best I have ever tasted – it is floral and sweet, and is good for many steeps. It is pricey compared to what I am used to, but not too bad considering how well it resteeps.

Minty aroma after second steeping. Nice orchid, flowery flavor and sweetness. However, it’s not incredibly impressive. A good tea to have every now and then, but not something to die over.