Ali Shan

Oolong Tea
Cut grass, Floral, Mint, Grass, Green, Honeysuckle, Vegetal, Butter, Citrus, Honeydew, Lime, Rainforest, Tart, Wet Rocks
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. Formosa, meaning ‘beautiful’ was what the Portuguese explorers called this island. The oolong tea grown here continues to be called as such. The exquisite bouquet of Formosa Oolong tea is regarded to be the finest in the world. Complex floral notes echo on your palate as you enjoy this product of Taiwan’s Ali mountain. Light bodied and softly sweet with an underlying complexity, this oolong will surely come to haunt. Perfect for multiple infusions.

About Adagio Teas View company

Best in a gaiwan, where it can unfurl and present itself to the eye. My favourite method is thusly: 6oz porcelain gaiwan, about 1/2 tablespoon tea, hot (not boiling) water, one minute for first infusion, a bit more for the second, and keep increasing time by about a half minute or to taste. Best taste around fourth infusion, maybe 2 or 3 minutes by then. Light greenish flavour but not grassy. I was very surprised at how large the leaves get during subsequent infusions… you do NOT want to use too much tea. Does not get bitter if you leave it in the cup for a while, so take your time and enjoy at a leisurely pace. Bring hot water water with you to refill several times. Well worth it, one of my favourites.

This was my first ali shan, and I will definitely try more! The floral aroma of this tea is delightful. I felt relaxed and happy drinking it. With subsequent infusions, this tea became even more aromatic, with its honey and orchid undertones becoming more prominent. I really liked this!

My introduction to Adagio teas started with this one. It’s so wonderful! Definitely a thicker infusion, with a very deep floral note and a faint amount of sweetness, like honeysuckles. The liquor is rich and the leaves hold up very well to multiple infusions. I actually preferred the 3rd infusion over the rest, as it had the best balance of sweetness. Don’t worry if your infusions leave a liquor that looks unfinished—this brews very very lightly!

I tried many different steeping temps and tried it both with a Yixing pot and my Teavana steeper, but nothing tasted as good as the Ti Kuan Yin from Adagio. Not quite as strong nor as flavorful as the other oolongs I have tasted. Drinkable, but I won’t be purchasing again.

This oolong is on the green side of things. I really tried to like it. I varied the steep times and the temperature…same results for me. Too vegan tasting. The smell in the tin is incredible, but the brew is not to my liking. I guess I have something to put in the TTB!

Watched some videos and read some about how to properly taste tea, and I can identify even more about what makes this tea so good. Smooth and buttery and vegetative, but the most impressive part for me was the aftertaste- like 5 minutes after I finished drinking I got very plump fruity tastes. Awesome.

Confession: after I’ve had my several steeps of these exquisite leaves, I will pick out and eat the buds and smaller leaves. Yes, it’s that good and tender, like the best buttered asparagus or artichoke with a vase of sweet flowers on the table. Enjoying Tea has a good price for Ali Shan, and it seems to me to be the same batch as Adagio has right now. Enjoy!