Thai Chai

Black Chai Herbal Blend
Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coconut, Lemongrass, Spices, Astringent, Lemon, Ginger, Chicken Soup, Cloves, Lemon Zest, Plants
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 12 oz / 343 ml

• “I decided to finish off my last little bit of Thai Chai in style – by making it traditional-style like I’ve been saying I will for months. I used this recipe on the website www.chai-wallah.com In a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Onto some more samples from CHAroma tonight as I await trick-or-treaters! I’m not sure exactly what I was expecting with this one, but I was initially quite put off by a very soapy aroma from both...” Read full tasting note
  • “In celebration of Coconut Day, I invite you, steepsterites, to join me in a rousing rendition of The Coconut Song, which I have just made up on the spot even though there are songs about coconuts...” Read full tasting note
  • “So, I still haven’t gotten around to trying this one with coconut milk, and I probably won’t. I think there’s only a cup’s worth left and I don’t think it’s worth repurchasing. On one hand, I...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Silky sweet coconut and playful bright lemongrass highlight this seductive black tea chai blend. Let the aroma draw you in and you’ll swear you hear it beckoning…come closer, just take a sip.

We suggest two heaping teaspoons per 6 oz up, boiling water for 5 minutes, Sugar, cream or coconut milk if desired.

About Adagio Teas View company

What this isn’t: a traditional chai. The spices are great, but they are a completely different blend from a typical masala chai. The coconut and lemongrass lack the body typically associated with a good chai, and it won’t really warm you up that much. I have yet to try this with milk and sugar though, so I might be wrong.

What this is: delicious. This reminds me so much of Solonese food that it holds a special place on my shelf. On its own, it is quiet but rich in a far less assaulting way, and I almost don’t want to mix milk and sugar to it, in fear of losing that subtlety.

This is possibly the best masala chai I’ve ever had. The coconut and lemongrass blend perfectly with the other spices. Great both plain and mixed with coconut milk.

I normally do not like chai tea but this was not strong.

Hot, last night – with some lemon infused honey that I purchased yesterday from the farmer’s market! Since there’s already some lemongrass in this, I thought the honey would play up the citrus in the blend while also sweetening it, and hopefully that would temper some of the spice.

It wasn’t a great mug though; I think I must have over steeped it because even with the honey it was pretty bitter with a very, very dark looking liquor. The ginger was also really, really strong and the degree to which it was “tickling” the back of my throat actually kind of felt a little more like scratching. The rest was ok though; I liked the bright lemon/citrus notes and the coconut undertones were good too. Just a few too many cons overall, despite some nice elements.

I think I’ve got one more cup of this left, so I’ll probably try to find the happy in between of my first cup of this and this one – with the lemon honey.

My word. This tea is a revelation. I never really liked Thai iced tea and was iffy on whether I would like this, but having loved almost everything I’ve gotten from Adagio in the last couple years, I caved. I had this with a bit of cream at work, steeped probably a bit longer than instructed. Didn’t harm things at all; the lemongrass complements this the way bergamot complements Earl Grey.

Chai day: Blend 3 of 6:
I chose this blend because it was the next least favorite smelling one. Though I enjoy coconut, this one had a very strong citrus scent, perhaps lemongrass? I can’t stand citrus.

The citrus smell is subdued in the brew, but still present. It is accompanied by a sort of creamy scent that reminds of me of Thai tea. Thai chai and Thai tea—coincidence? I’m mostly getting the lemongrass and coconut in the scent, and I’m wondering how spicy this is going to be.

The base is nice after the monstrosity that was the vanilla chai. It’s smooth with no astringency, no bitterness, and very little of the tannic flavor. It doesn’t, however, make a bold statement below the other flavors.

This is my first experience with lemongrass in a tea, and I have to say that I don’t like it. It makes for a citrusy, aromatic, woody kind of flavor that I don’t care for. It kind of reminds me of a furniture store for reasons I cannot explain. Or maybe a kind of bathing product. The coconut flavor sits below the lemongrass, which makes it a bit harder to detect and makes me a bit sadder.

As far as the chai part goes, I am getting a little of the cinnamon, maybe cardamom? It’s difficult to penetrate below the lemongrass flavor.

It’s not Adagio’s fault, but this tea is not for me.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coconut, Lemongrass

This tea has me stuck in a rut. It has a slight flavor reminiscent more of thai cooking then it does of thai tea. Which I was kinda hoping for thai tea but I feel like I should be eating this with a thai dish. It needs a bit more of a kick for it to be considered a chai in my thoughts. Otherwise its good.

Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box

Not much about this was notable. I think I could detect a light lemongrass flavour. I added honey and almond milk and it was good enough. Nothing amazing. Just okay. I wouldn’t seek it out, but if offered I wouldn’t turn it away either.

Flavors: Lemongrass, Spices

I made an account just to complain about how bad this tea is (and remind myself to never buy it, ever again). This tea tastes like soup to me. Maybe some people are into that, IDK. I’m really not. It’s not appetizing at all. I’ll just pop over to the closest Thai restaurant and order some Tom Kha rather than drink a “tea” that tastes just like it.
Oh, and it has no chai taste whatsoever. None!!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I want to review this tea fairly, so I’ll update this note on my next go-round. Can’t be totally objective this morning, because I’m still reeling from my love affair with another chai, and wishing this was that one!