Genmai Cha

Green Tea
Bitter, Grain, Grass, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Drying, Green, Rice, Roasted, Smooth, Burnt, Fish Broth, Floral, Nutty, Toasted, Nuts, Roasted Barley, Toasty, Corn Husk
Edit tea info Last updated by Firehawken

• “Never had this kind of tea before. Thanks Rachel for letting me try this! This tea smells and tastes like liquid rice cakes. I am really enjoying the savory flavors of this tea. I need to save the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlogging again. I am unsure if I am doing this correctly, I brewed the tea, hot no additives, 2.5 minutes. I can definitely smell the puffed/toasted rice in the tea pot, but the steeped leaves...” Read full tasting note
  • “I can’t get enough of this stuff. I love the the popped rice flavor like no other. Also recently ordered that popular Ryokucha tea from Samovar which also has the rice. I think I’ll become as...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ricecake!!!!! That is what I get from this, that or rice cereal that isn’t very sweetened in almond milk. I love it and it makes me feel full.” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from Japan that is the ‘snap, crackle, pop’ of teas. Genmai Cha is an exotic Japanese recipe that combines popped rice and popcorn with tender and delicate green tea leaves. First used by peasants as a cost-saving measure, our ‘Genmai Cha Pop’ tea is now equally popular with modern urbanites. Both groups enjoy a refreshing cup that’s both sweet and nutty.

$12/4 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

I haven’t tasted other genmai cha’s and I imagine they’re all an acquired taste. The green tea used in this one is pretty strong, which I like. It helps balance the also strong taste of toasted grains. I find the toasty quality to be warming. This would be great on a cold, rainy day.

It needs no sweetener (I cant even imagine how that’d taste!) and can be re-steeped once. I’m sure the taste isn’t for everyone but personally it’s one of my favorites.

Like liquid popcorn w/a lot less calories. Great in the afternoon for a light pick me up. It had a very light and clear flavor-it was not strongly vegetal. It is definitely a taste that takes some getting used to…

This is a great Japanese green with popped rice. It’s not as grassy as most Japanese greens, and has a nice, mellow toasty taste. Great for multiple steeps.

Mmmm! Genmai cha is one of my staples. So, after a 60 hour work week and 7 hours of sleep in the last 2 nights (combined) I brewed a cup of this. The toasty flavor is just perfect on a rainy, dreary day. I’m on my second steep now.

I tried it in my new sampling kit from adagio because I was a little wary of it, but I’m definitely leaving the leaves in for a second steep! Great, fun taste, good for an afternoon movie or book.

I love the history behind this tea.

It’s goods for the price. Admittedly I much prefer buying my own bancha leaves and genmai seperate and mixing to my own personal taste. Of course it doesn’t look like Adagio used bancha leaves here. Of course bancha takes a different definition depending on which part of Japan you’re in. Of course I come bearing my own bias. Of course, of course, of course.

Is this tea good. Yeah. Should you buy it. Sure, give it a shot. Is it special and will it take you to your happy place? No, and maybe……but there are much better genmaichas out there. I prefer older, thicker, and larger leaves in a genmaicha as they contribute to the sweetness of the brew. Using the sencha leaves here makes for a more bitter brew.

Again, like in my Adagio Gyokuro review, forgo the offered brewing instructions and brew much lower. 180F is much too high. Try 160F instead.

My full video review can be watched here on my website!

Flavors: Bitter, Grain, Grass, Sweet, Toasted Rice

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

As with the Vanilla Green, the Genmai Cha tea has been a very welcome companion! No longer do we have to go to the nearby ($$$) restaurant to get this tea. We found it here on Adagio and fell in love. The tea is warm, nostalgic, with the great green tea flavor we love and appreciate- sometimes smooth, sometimes a little rough. The rice flavor is a wonderful complement and we are on our next big bag of it. <3 A very loved tea- definitely try it!

Flavors: Drying, Green, Rice, Roasted, Smooth

Hmm…so I decided to not follow the brewing recommendations for this and I’m thinking that was a mistake. I did drink this one on previous occasion, but I don’t really recall how it tasted. It didn’t really stand out much in my mind, though. I brewed it with about 5 grams in around 90-100 ml of water and it mostly tastes like burnt rice. I can’t really taste the tea at all, but there is quite a lot of rice mixed into this, more than what I’m probably generally accustomed to with genmaicha. Tried another steep since the rice was not soggy, basically the same. I will make sure I steep according to their instructions the next time I try this.

Flavors: Burnt, Rice

180 °F / 82 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Opening the bag, it has a very toasty, popcorny scent. Once I brewed it (2.5 grams, since the gram amount below rounds down to 2) , it had a slightly fishy and toasty aroma. The taste was similar, but milder, and more floral in the aftertaste. I’m thinking about increasing the amount for the next time. I also tried resteeping at near boiling water, for five minutes, and got the same taste and aroma.

Flavors: Fish Broth, Floral, Nutty, Rice, Toasted

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 240 ML
MrQuackers

You might want to try this. Take 7 or 8 grams of the tea. Use 200 mL of water at 176 roughly. Steep for just one minute. You can do multiple steepinss if you like. I do shot glasses of genmaicha, and I find it is easier to drink in small amounts.

Marina K

Thanks, I’ll try that next time. Sounds excellent!