Vanilla Oolong

Oolong Tea
Chocolate, Coconut, Nutty, Vanilla, Smooth, Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “After revisiting the Almond Oolong and preparing it in the gaiwan, I thought I’d do the opposite with this one. I steeped three cups worth in the Breville. I’m going to spring it on the BF and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Leif & I did some work in the garden, pruning out the old canes in the blackberry patch, removing weeds, & repairing the trellises. A storm came up, so we weren’t able to finish the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Surprise—a fraction of a pouch had lodged itself in the bottom of my bits n’ pieces basket. This particular sample is elderly, but hasn’t lost its gentle vanilla sweetness, even on a second steep....” Read full tasting note
  • “Upping the rating a bit for this time around. I mixed in what silver needle I had left and threw in some of my golden monkey since my supply is dwindling. With some honey in there, it tasted really...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

According to the International Ice Cream Association, Vanilla is by far the most popular flavor, getting a full 23% of all ice cream consumption. Inspired by this love of vanilla, Adagio has created Vanilla Oolong Tea. Combining the delectable flavor of sweet vanilla beans and fresh Formosa oolong tea from Taiwan, I’ll scream, you’ll scream, we’ll all scream for… Vanilla tea!

About Adagio Teas View company

Thanks for sending this as a freebie from your sale, Ali! I think this one gets a bad rep over on these Steepster ratings. Maybe others are just not liking the Formosa oolong because they aren’t accustomed to it. I like Formosa once in a while for a change. This particular oolong isn’t bad but the vanilla isn’t exactly lovely real bean pods or anything. Usually Adagio is good with their flavoring. I can’t remember if this is close to the vanilla black tea they have. But rather than actual vanilla flavoring it’s really just a slight sweet flavor. But with two teaspoons the flavor is deep and roasty with a deep burgundy liquid. It definitely looks delicious.

I got this as a free sample while I was buying some other teas at Adagio. It’s a nice breakfast tea: for some reason it reminds me of cereal. The vanilla is not overpowering, and the oolong has a good flavor.

Flavors: Tea, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I’m not sure if vanilla mixes well with tea or not, but for this tea the answer is no. Sure vanilla smells good but when paired up with a dark woodsy oolong it just doesn’t blend well. I was unable to drink the entire cup that I brewed of this tea, but I was able to drink some of it.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I asked for a cup of this yesterday while at adagio…not sure what possessed me besides being a sucker for most things “vanilla.” I think it helped that it’s a dark oolong and not a green one….it just smelled so lovely.

And you know what? I liked it. Me! An adagio non herbal tea that I liked…. So much so that I nearly bought some and even this morning, I’m contemplating it….though I’m for sure running out of room in my suitcase to get things back as a carry on…

Delicious vanilla flavor and rich Oolong. Just like I expected. After trying Almond Oolong I figured this would be the same just with Vanilla. I was right. I can’t complain. I tried it with a bit of sugar and cream one go round and it was delightful (tried it before adding cream too and also good! I just like vanilla teas with cream!). Then later, had it again with truvia and milk and it was overwhelmingly sweet that way. So next time I’ll stick to normal sugar and cream.

Flavors: Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Eh…let’s just say…Adagio has yet to impress me. Haven’t ever been "wow"ed by any of their teas. Probably just not for me. :/

sherapop

Ost: I believe that a big part of their appeal for many people is the Fandom program and the ability to create one’s own blends. I don’t hear that many people raving about their standard teas… I bought a couple of the Zodiac series sets and have found that the tea is generally good but not great. The concept is more important, it seems, than the ingredients.

Ost

Yeah, I think you’re right! I mean, that’s how I found them. I bough a few of their fandom blends and hated them. xD I bought their Peach tea a few years ago, but it kinda tasted burnt to me…I even like Teavana better. I know…I’m crazy :P

Arshness

Weirdo. I love my Adagio teas. Ever tried Foxtrot? How about Earl Grey Bravo? The Chocolate Chip, Birthday Tea, Blueberry Decaf and sadly discontinued Apple tea, masala chai, and they have excellent Egyptian Chamomile. :)

Ost

Eh, there teas weren’t anything that really interested me alone now that I’ve looked at so many other tea companies. I can get better teas cheaper. :P All in my opinion of course.

Arshness

To each their own. Adagio is my first love so to speak <3
What companies do you like?

Ost

Have kinda fallen in love with DTT, H&S, David’s Teas, and Tealux. :O What about you? Other than Adagio of course haha

I really enjoy this tea – it is nutty and rich, and in my opinion needs no sweetener. I don’t think I would reach for it often, as it is rather plain, but it is nice.

Fake vanilla flavor totally overwhelms the tea and my palate.

They should re-name this tea “Wait For It…Vanilla Oolong”. If you concentrate really hard, you can taste a faint trace of vanilla right after the tea hits your lips. It disappears just as quickly. But be patient, because there’s a fairly strong bowl of creamy vanilla ice cream waiting for you in the aftertaste. Not a bad cup of tea, but I expected a much stronger, more uniform vanilla flavor. To those looking for a dessert tea to satisfy a sweet tooth, keep looking.

This is a very comforting warm vanilla tea. I liked it with a touch of cream!