Fujian Baroque

Chocolate, Malt, Baked Bread, Cocoa, Hay, Wheat
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Amazing what a decent night’s sleep will do to your taste buds. I can actually TASTE. Interesting to read previous notes on this one; all are a little different. First thing that comes to my mind...” Read full tasting note
  • “The other tea that my brother got me for my birfday. I noticed the comparisons to Golden Monkey in other notes, so that is pretty much what I was expecting. The leaves are not particularly similar....” Read full tasting note
  • “Normally I don’t drink Chinese blacks with milk apart from the occaisional keemun. Yunnans, which this tea resembles a bit, in particular don’t work well with additives I’ve found. None the less...” Read full tasting note
  • “OMG I just noticed this morning that Ricky’s no-icon-uploaded-icon isn’t actually, because it’s mirrored! Never realised that before. I’m feeling a little more human today, so I’ve made a pot of...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian region of China, better known for producing world-renowned green and white tea. Its general attributes are similar to the Golden Monkey but the leaf is finer and the aroma even more pronounced. The exquisite tapestry of naturally sweet cocoa notes, fruitiness and glimmers of spice are unmatched by any other tea. Softly sweet and velvety, it can be brewed light or strong; the taste will remain smooth without astringency.

About Adagio Teas View company

Really complex, definitely fruity, has a red wine kind of essence, as if it were aged in an oak barrel, like a cabernet. An interesting finish—it hits the palate with a lot of smoke, but then this dissolves into a soft cocoa.

dcarlo

Second steep (6 min.) was really nice, a bit smoother, more velvety.

This charmingly smooth tea has a colorful and complex—indeed, baroque—flavor which combines warm woody and deep cocoa notes with a calm frutiness somehow reminiscent of bananas. I recommend it, especially for the price.

This is pretty solid black tea from Adagio teas!

It is chocolately and fruity, with a nice amount of mineral. It is smooth, never getting dry or bitter no matter how long you steep it. I found it did better western style to get those chocolate notes out. Gongfu gave some great infusions, but got mineral heavy at the end. It is up to you.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/fujian-rain-fujian-baroque-adagio-teas/ (also with Fujian Rain)

Boiling 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

I use this as a cold-brew because it’s smooth and refreshing and just a bit chocolate-y but not overwhelmingly so.

Iced

This tea was much smokier than I was expecting. The tea had a pleasant, nutty undertone, but it was overpowered by the smokey notes.

Firstly, this tea sounds like it’s trying to be fancy. It smells nicely like cocoa. The flavour is slightly malty, with mostly baked bread. When it cools, the bread comes out stronger.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Malt

I had been saving this tea for two reasons. One, because I know from experience that Fujians don’t really make good iced teas, so I was waiting for chilly weather. And two, because Fujian black teas are my absolute favorite, so I had the urge to hoard it.

The scent of the dry leaf makes me smile. It’s rich and chocolatey like cocoa nibs. I’m also smelling baked goods, like wheat bread or a croissant. As it steeps, the tea grows nice and dark, almost opaque. The wet leaves smell even more like bread.

The flavor is smooth and pleases me greatly. Exactly what I’ve come to love in a Fujian. Deeply satisfying and on the hearty side. A tad malty, but mostly wonderfully chocolate-like. It has lots of layers and notes mixed in harmoniously. I’m really not understanding why so many people here weren’t pleased with it! They must have been oversteeping or something.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Hay, Malt, Wheat

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I’ve been getting into Chinese black teas lately. They’re nice when I want something less bitter. Especially when I forget my cup and oversteep it; I can still drink it rather than throwing it away. This tea was fairly pleasant, slightly cocoa-ey and mild. More like something I’d drink in the afternoon than the morning.

I tried it with sugar as well, and found that I had to go very easy on it. The tea’s already sweet, so too much sugar and it becomes nauseating. No more than a half teaspoon.

It doesn’t really hold up well for a second steep. At least in my opinion anyway; the second steep was very light and bland. I could steep the Black Dragon Pearls three times and the Yunnan Jig twice, so the fact that this is only good for one was a bit disappointing. It’s a decent tea, but I’ll stick to other varieties with more staying power, especially if I’m paying $8 a bag for them.

Small Big Traveling Tea Box

Apparently the way that I am drinking my tea is so humorous… my boyfriend just walked downstairs and started cracking up in laughter XD Yes, my cup is tiny, but I think it is adorable! Thought I would attach a picture for so you guys can enjoy my adorable, little mug! (https:[email protected]/14340903979/ )I like doing TTB taste tests this way so I can try virtually all the teas without completely stealing a tea that someone else in the line up can hardly wait to enjoy. :] Ta-DAH~

This tea has a sweet malty flavor to it much like a golden monkey. I expected this tea to be a bit plainer in flavor than it actually is, but it has several notes. I love the malt the most, but it has a slight essence of cinnamon or pepper that is so unexpected it is delicious. Although it is a light black tea in flavor, I’m really enjoying it.

1 g 2 OZ / 59 ML
Ost

Hahaha aww it is a cute mug!

gmathis

But think of all the cups of tea you can justify. They’re small!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Totally adorable :-)

albertocanfly

gmathis exactly!! I get to try every single tea in the box! . Talk about awesome!

Ost and TheTeaFairy Thank you!! .

Is that a hint of chocolate I taste or am I imagining things? The tea is incredibly smooth. i’m sure it would make a delicious iced tea but it’s so balanced and as a hot tea that I don’t think I could do it!

I just noticed a huge bug on my ceiling so my post must now end…