Fujian Baroque

Chocolate, Malt, Baked Bread, Cocoa, Hay, Wheat
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Amazing what a decent night’s sleep will do to your taste buds. I can actually TASTE. Interesting to read previous notes on this one; all are a little different. First thing that comes to my mind...” Read full tasting note
  • “The other tea that my brother got me for my birfday. I noticed the comparisons to Golden Monkey in other notes, so that is pretty much what I was expecting. The leaves are not particularly similar....” Read full tasting note
  • “Normally I don’t drink Chinese blacks with milk apart from the occaisional keemun. Yunnans, which this tea resembles a bit, in particular don’t work well with additives I’ve found. None the less...” Read full tasting note
  • “OMG I just noticed this morning that Ricky’s no-icon-uploaded-icon isn’t actually, because it’s mirrored! Never realised that before. I’m feeling a little more human today, so I’ve made a pot of...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian region of China, better known for producing world-renowned green and white tea. Its general attributes are similar to the Golden Monkey but the leaf is finer and the aroma even more pronounced. The exquisite tapestry of naturally sweet cocoa notes, fruitiness and glimmers of spice are unmatched by any other tea. Softly sweet and velvety, it can be brewed light or strong; the taste will remain smooth without astringency.

About Adagio Teas View company

Slight cocoa on the nose pre-steep. For me this started off smooth, then has a bit of a lingering aftertaste with a little bit of a bite to it. Not bad.

Revisiting this 5 months later, it has a nice nut like smell in the bag. It seems to be smoother this time with less astringency. The taste is kind of hard to describe, I guess I’d say it is somewhere in between the typical Yunnan and Keemun flavor profiles. Toasty/roasty, plus the nutty notes mentioned above. At its current decent price, this would be a good every day drinker. Great with sweetener and ice as well.

The flavor was not quite there, I suspect that I did not add enough leaves

This has a hint of musty earth tones. Not exactly unpleasant, but not something I would seek out in a tea.

It is a good heavy tea to fall back on when you want something more than, ‘a black tea’. However, I will not be order this again.

I’m really liking this one. The cocoa and fruity notes in it are strong. It has a long, pleasant, fruity aftertaste. I got this as a sample, but I may need to buy more of it. Prepared with stevia.

I must be losing my mind, because I can’t taste much chocolate in this. I’m thinking the water I used might have been too hot. It just tastes like black.

One of my favorite morning teas.

If I didn’t know better I’d swear there was chocolate in this tea. Rich and delicious and not the least bit bitter. Definitely a new favorite.