Black Tea, Natural Caramel Flavor
Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Sweet, Smooth, Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup, Smoke, Tobacco, Bitter, Coffee, Mocha
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Karen M
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 11 oz / 335 ml

• “mmmm. This tea is saving me from finals weeks stress! I know I’ve been absent, but I appreciate everyone on here so much and all their wonderful tea notes! I have exciting news! I am going to Peru...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to a nasty canker sore, every tea I have (painfully and agonizingly) sipped this week tastes like Orajel. Finally improving to the point I can pick up a little flavor, so I decided to treat...” Read full tasting note
  • “Woohoo! Another sample done! My tea stash has gone down pretty dramatically in the last month or so. I still have a lot of small samples from the fine people of Steepster, but I’m running through...” Read full tasting note
  • “I have been holding out on having another cup of this since my sample is starting to run low, but today I caved. It was just as delicious as every other cup of this I have had. I am really...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Depending on where you’re from, you may either say “car-a-mel” or “CAR-mel.” Any way you put it, though, this premium Ceylon black tea complemented with rich notes of caramel flavoring (that is sugar free!) is sure to have you saying, “wow! that’s good!”

About Adagio Teas View company

I normally have a stash of coffee beans in the freezer for weekend mornings, but I had run out this particular week, so I brewed myself two mugs of Irish Breakfast and read through a couple of blogs instead. Then I ran out of Irish Breakfast, so I’ve been working my way through my shoe boxes full of tea. Aside from rekindling my relationship with tea, I’ve also discovered two things: first, I should buy tea tins, because who stores their bags of tea in shoe boxes, and second, Adagio’s Caramel Tea is really, really good.

It’s a little strange that I ended up with Caramel Tea since I don’t go out of my way to buy caramel anything. However, when you are checking out online at Adagio, you have the option to “share” your purchase with your followers on social media, and in return Adagio lets you choose a free sample from a long list of teas. I’m pretty sure I thought to myself, “What would I never want to spend my money on?” as my attention settled on Caramel Tea.

The ingredients are just black tea and caramel flavoring, and just like Adagio’s Chestnut tea, how much I enjoyed the Caramel Tea took me by surprise.

The Caramel Tea was a fairly mellow cup of tea considering it was a black tea with natural caramel flavoring. The black tea seemed a little thin, and it wasn’t astringent, which allowed for the aroma of the Caramel to take center stage. And, unlike some of the flavored black teas I’ve reviewed in the past, the flavoring didn’t assault the taste buds at all. I took my Caramel Tea with sugar, which is rare, but it transformed the mug in to dessert; it tastes like the burnt sugar topping of creme brule, which is only one of my favorite desserts ever.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel

Still love this tea; having it this morning by itself (I usually prefer to combine it with other teas for funsies), and it’s just great with a little milk and truvia. Like drinking a hot mug of caramel candy. Such an indulgence! I just love this tea. Went ahead and ordered a box for my sister for her birthday later this month.

Adagio Caramel faced an uphill battle: I often find flavored teas more appealing in description than in practice. My tastebuds have jived with only a couple Adagio flavored teas, out of the many I’ve tried. And I am not a huge fan of caramel.

So it was a nice surprise to find this tea not only drinkable, but a quite pleasant cup – or two, actually, since one resteep held enough flavor to still be enjoyable. The dry leaf and steeped tea offered a sweet caramel aroma. Straight, the tea was a little shy of smooth. I drank it with a lightly sweetened soy milk. Those seeking a caramel flavored tea may want to give this a try.

Overboard TTB #4

Although I haven’t been impressed with the Adagio blends I’ve tried in the past, I love pretty much anything caramel-flavored, so I had to give this one a try. I don’t like it as much as David’s Salted Caramel, but it was quite tasty! The caramel flavor came through strong and sweet and the base was pleasantly smooth. I drank it plain, but I’m guessing it would make an amazing tea latte!

Flavors: Caramel, Smooth

Sweet, rich and complex. This is dessert in a cup without over-the-top ingredients or flavors. Caramel, maple syrup and brown sugar with a smoky tobacco note along for the ride. More maple syrup forward than caramel, but still awesome. This decadence is a treat worth having.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Maple Syrup, Smoke, Tobacco

Overboard TTB

This was ok but not great. The tea had a mocha-like flavor, and while there were caramel notes they weren’t as light or as sweet as I’d prefer. I’m not sure if the base tea attributed to the mocha flavor or if a shorter steep time would help. I’m also not curious enough to find out, so back into the box it goes.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

I haven’t been terribly impressed with Adagio thus far, although mocha tea sounds tasty. :P

Veronica

There are a few Adagio teas I’m a big fan of, but their base tea often leaves me wanting.

I got this as a free sample in my recent Adagio order. Upon opening the bag, the scent came exploding out – it’s very loud :D I brewed it up and it calmed down a bit, and is quite good. I drank it with splenda and half&half, and the second cup with splenda and milk. Good both ways. I am not sure that I would order this, as I tend to prefer a maltier or smokier tea. But as a freebie, it’s good and inoffensive.

I hope all my friends here had a good holiday. I had a very quiet Christmas – spent C. Eve with friends at their house, but then was home alone Christmas day, playing with Lego and watching bad TV. I still have today and the weekend off. I need to get off my butt and go out and pick up the workbench for the garage my folks sent me money for as a present. I don’t think I am quite ready for the crowds though!

Flavors: Caramel

The dry leaf had a strong, decadent caramel scent, but it didn’t carry over to the flavor. The base tea had a pleasant smokiness, but was more bitter than I prefer. The caramel was just barely present. I’ll have to try this again with milk and/or sweetener, but I was disappointed with it.

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Smoke

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I think I may have oversteeped this tea, I lost track of time. It was a bit bitter at 5-6min so I’ll review again with a shorter steep time.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Cheri

I hate that. Get distracted for what seems like just a moment, and next thing you know, the tea is bad.

brown sugar, mocha, coffee!
real emphasis on mocha.
this was amazing!!!!!!

i get the sweet caramel for sure but i can’t stop thinking of a mochaccino!!
coffee/mocha/caramel are really pleasing to my taste buds and i was not expecting all that to come from this tea! what a pleasant surprise.

smells like mocha coffee syrup. and the best part….you can also taste it! the ‘caramel’ flavor translates to the tea very nicely, and of course i had to add brown sugar & soy milk. what a heavenly cookie. mercy!

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Coffee, Mocha