Matcha Sticks Black

High
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

1 Tasting Note View all

From Adagio

No longer is matcha limited to just lovers of green tea. Our Matcha Black uses the same time-honored process and replaces it with black tea leaves. Now available in our convenient stick packs, simply tear open, pour into any 500ml bottle of water, shake and enjoy!

Black Tea | High caffeine | Add to 16oz bottle of water and shake

About Adagio View company

1 Tasting Note

Had this one late in the morning at work.

I do really like the matcha stick/preportioned matcha format and if more companies offered this format I think I’d probably own a lot more matcha that I already do. I am very skeptical, however, that I could just add this matcha/tea powder to a 500ml bottle of water and shake it up without it clumping at all…

I know I used to just shake matcha up in bottles of milk or whisk it with a fork when I first got into matcha and didn’t have proper matcha equipment, and it worked kinda well but it wasn’t without issues and I’ve had much more success with the right equipment. That test will have to happen another day though, because in the end I opted to whisk this with a proper bamboo whisk in a matcha bowl and drink it hot…

Visually, it looks VERY similar to Mandala tea’s black tea powder – both in the dry powder visual and in how it froths up too. And it does froth up very well! Lovely, thick golden layer of froth! The taste is actually eerily similar to Mandala’s black tea powder as well, right down to the plum, malt, and bready/starchy notes too, and now I’m wondering if perhaps these two companies are sourcing from the same place? I’ll have to compare their pricing, and see which is actually cheaper by gram – but in my mind, they’re both equally good tasting. It’s not gritty/doesn’t settle super quickly either, which is another plus.

That is not what I expected, but I am pleased by the result.