Pu Er Vintage 1992

Cedar, Earth, Fishy, Leather, Loam, Molasses, Mushrooms
Edit tea info Last updated by gmathis
Boiling

• “Morning resteep. No severe reversals or personality shifts in flavor…wood, earth, cocoa, and minerals as stated in the description. My husband loves all things “cave,” did some reckless amateur...” Read full tasting note
  • “Adventures in pu-erh part…. I’ve forgotten what part. Four maybe. I’m getting the steeping times committed to memory, finally. Following the typical times in the gaiwan for this one after a rinse:...” Read full tasting note

From American Tea Room

This rare, aged pu er has small, cocoa-, caramel- and espresso-colored leaves with enticing aromas of wood, earth, cocoa and minerals. It produces an impressive, nearly opaque, ruby-brown-black brew with aromas of sweet earth tones and bold scents of cedar and ash. The first infusion has a light, earthy minerality, like crushed gravel, and an old-growth-forest mossiness. Later infusions are smoother, loamier and less woody. Across infusions, the smooth flavor of our Pu Er Vintage 1992 has earned it a place in the hearts of many of the world’s tea enthusiasts.

About American Tea Room View company

2082 tasting notes

My husband loves all things “cave,” did some reckless amateur spelunking in the Ozarks back when he was younger and could fit through the crawl holes, so I read him the label that mentions the tea is cave-aged. He took one sip and said, “Yep, tastes like stalactites.”

Ninavampi

Stalactite tea! I love that neat little bit of info! : )

ashmanra

So….he licked a stalactite? O.o

E Alexander Gerster

Stalactites being precipitated from a mineral solution, I can definitely see how this “tastes like stalactites!” :) Your husband actually has good taste buds to come up with this description!
Now we all need T-shirts that say something like “I licked a stalactite,” or “Taste’s like stalactites to me!”

ashmanra

Oh, I would so totally wear that t-shirt. And it is quite true…well, that lots of puers and one or two other teas I have tried have a mineral taste. I like it! Maybe I should take up spelunking…

gmathis

I dunno … sliding around on your belly in cave mud, I’m sure some of it gets in your mouth!

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Sounds good to me :)

Adventures in pu-erh part…. I’ve forgotten what part. Four maybe. I’m getting the steeping times committed to memory, finally. Following the typical times in the gaiwan for this one after a rinse: 10, 10, 20, 30, 40, 60, 120, 240, 300, 360.

I have yet to branch out to sheng, but I’ll do that for my second of the day. For now, pretty sure this is shu given the smell of the dry leaf. 2 parts fish to 1 part earth.

The first steep smells like mushrooms and looks like black coffee. I definitely get a cedar note in the flavor — like the inside of my cedar chest smells. I understand the mineral description though it isn’t like crushed gravel to me. In fact, if I hadn’t read the description this probably wouldn’t have struck me as having a rocky or mineral note. Steep two is earthier, less woody, with just a hint of sweetness. Starting at steep three, the earth becomes less like loam with later steeps and develops a character that is hard to describe. It’s not really molasses, but it has a little of that sweetness and just the slightest leather note.

I took this through ten steeps. It didn’t change much from steep to steep, except that around steep 8, the liquor started to lighten to a brandy color. The flavor stayed rather consistently like steep 3, only a bit less strong and a bit sweeter with later steeps. It’s smooth, and you don’t have to think about it too much — which is good because I was on episode 10 of the first season of The Expanse while I was drinking it.

Flavors: Cedar, Earth, Fishy, Leather, Loam, Molasses, Mushrooms

Boiling
mrmopar

What has happened to that show. I was totally enthralled by it. The proteus molecule.

tea-sipper

The Expanse is moving to Amazon Prime. I’ve only watched the first season, as I’m trying to catch up on the books. So many books.

__Morgana__

I am in season 2 now (almost to the end). One more season until I’m caught up.