VINTAGE 97 Immortal Nectar "Pu-erh"

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Fruity, Honey, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 oz / 354 ml

• “Yum, yum, yum! More please! A nice smooth earthy Pu-erh with a hint of honey to it, very good iced as well as hot.” Read full tasting note
  • “Scent reminds me of a fish paste that we used in one of my undergrad food chemistry classes. I was the only one in class that actually liked the stuff. I did a 10 second steep, dumped that water,...” Read full tasting note
  • “The penultimate day of my Advent calendar from Sara. I went out earlier today and had a fancy shou pu-erh. Came home and pulled out of my advent calendar… a fancy shou pu-erh. I guess it’s that...” Read full tasting note

From Art of Tea

Since time immemorial people have traveled the world in search of the fountain of youth. Discover the benefits of our rare, premium cave-aged pu-erh, known to decrease physical stress and lower cholesterol. Our unrefined, medium-leafed, organic elixir yields a deep brown liquor with a light sherry bouquet and a smooth, earthy flavor. Best steeped long with water from a rolling boil.

Water Temperature: 206 F degrees
Caffeine Content Bold
Steep Time: 3-5 minutes
Ingredients: Pu-erh Tea
Origin: Yunnan, China

About Art of Tea View company

Art of Tea is a tea importer and wholesaler based in Los Angeles, California. We hand blend and custom craft the world’s finest organic teas and botanicals. Our teas are carefully selected directly from growers, each one offering a unique story.

Cofftea

Curious as to what the difference between “Pu-erh” and Pu-erh is? lol:)

I did a 10 second steep, dumped that water, then steeped for 5 minutes. Taste has an edge of that fish paste to it, but not in a bad way. It’s rich and thick, slighty vegetal and dirt-esque. Definitely umami. I think it’d be really good to brew some up and use it for the water to cook rice in, as a side to a real savory/spicy dish. Might have to try that sometime!

The penultimate day of my Advent calendar from Sara.

I went out earlier today and had a fancy shou pu-erh. Came home and pulled out of my advent calendar… a fancy shou pu-erh. I guess it’s that kind of day. :)

The scent is very mild and earthy. I brewed it western style as I’m not set up for gong fu at home, and I’m so out of it that I forgot to do a wash first.

So far, I like this one better than the 9016 Shou Pu-erh I had earlier today. I taste fruit and honey and a little earthy tone, in a nice balance.

The second steep has an even better balance. You’re walking in the woods. There’s no one around, and your phone is dead. Out of the corner of your eye you spot a falling leaf. There are falling leaves everywhere! They fall to the ground, honey colored, and somehow honey scented, and there is a variety of fallen fruit on the ground.

There is a hint of malt this time too.

The third steep is similar to the second. I kept meaning to rake the leaves once they dried, but then it rained again. Finally I raked them up wet, and it smelled kind of like this.

I’m going to keep steeping this until the flavor is all spent. I’ll comment if it changes.

Flavors: Earth, Fruity, Honey, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
derk

Sounds lovely :)

Mastress Alita

I was amused last night that my cheap Art of Tea pu was more enjoyable than his $35-per-cup one, hahaha.