Passage du Desir

Black Tea, Candied Hazelnuts, Cocoa Beans, Cocoa Husks, Flavor
Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Hazelnut, Sweet, Creamy, Nutty, Chestnut
Edit tea info Last updated by Sakura Sushi

From August Uncommon Tea

rich black tea with chestnut and chocolate

Tastes Like
french chocolate, roasted chestnuts, honey, dark rum

Feels Like
secret pleasures from the streets of paris

About August Uncommon Tea View company

Huh. I guess the name of this tea was shortened to “Passage” some point after this tea was added to the Steepster database. I had to google Passage du Desir, thinking it was one of the passages in Paris, alleys often with glass ceilings that have turned into shopping strips with cute cafes and shops lining them. A quick google search turns up reference to one passage with not much detail, but most of the results are of a sex toy or “adult novelty” shop. Was this tea named after a street or an adult toy shop? My curiosity is peaked.

Dry, this tea has that rich dark chocolate scent that reminds me of prunes for some reason. It is a deep chocolate smell. I drank most of this cup absentmindedly while running morning errands. As I sit with the rest of the cooled cup I notice the dark chocolate in the sip and finish. It is subtle and might be made more substantial with cream, but I’ll have to test that theory out on my next cup. There is a slight barley scent when I’m sipping and I’m not able to pick out the hazelnut in the flavors. Overall I’m still undecided on exactly how I feel about this tea.

GCTTB6

Consider me surprised when the first thing I tasted was roasted chestnuts. I decided to look up this tea to see if that was supposed to be there and googling “Passage du Desir” produced some pretty interesting results, non of which were this tea. When I did finally find this tea, it seems that flavor was indeed purposely present. Unfortunately some flavor notes were lost on that I really, really wanted to taste and so if I am being honest, I was a bit disappointed. Still I am grateful to Sil for adding this to the TTB because I heard great things and probably would have blindly bought this and not really loved it. Not that it was bad, just not my preference. Check out my full review here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2017/04/11/passage-du-desir-from-august-uncommon/

woot! always great to dodge things that would just be “ok”

VariaTEA

Yes, always nice to try before you buy. Thank you :)

It’s like drinking brownie essence. Many thanks to hawkband1 for giving me a generous amount in her swap.

hawkband1

Glad you enjoyed!

Tabby

I really, really like the sound of that!

KiwiDelight

It’s super yummy.

Mmmm, this was so good. The chocolate wasn’t that each kind of chocolate, it was more the darker chocolate that I enjoy. It was sweet enough that I didn’t have to add any sweetener (which I don’t like to add anyway).
Nutty, chocolate tea…how can you go wrong?
If I ever order from this company, this tea would certainly be on that list!
Thanks to whoever added this to the Canadian Travelling Tea Box!

This is one of the best chocolate teas I’ve tried: rich, bittersweet chocolate flavor with a hint of hazelnut. It’s definitely on the pricey side, but worth it for a special treat. It was delicious straight, but I’m curious to also try it as a latte…milk and sugar might take it over the top!

Flavors: Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Hazelnut

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This is a really tasty gourmand tea. The smell of the dry leaf is quite intoxicating and very unique – rich, boozy, chocolaty. I’ve never had chestnuts before but the nuttiness in this blend reads hazelnut (not surprising given the ingredients) to my tastebuds. The black tea base was quite smooth and naturally sweet. The cocoa beans and husk lend a nice, bold chocolate flavor. I appreciate that the tea didn’t contain pieces of chocolate that would melt and, therefore, create that unappealing oiliness that coats the roof of your mouth.

I steeped the leaves three times before giving up the ghost.

All in all, it’s a lovely chocolate tea.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Sweet

Did I seriously polish off 100g of this in under four months? For a tea that didn’t dazzle me, that’s pretty darn impressive. I had 10g left in the bag so I made a massive cup and it turned out very chocolatey. The chocolate note in this is the highlight of this, in my opinion. I’m so glad I was able to snag some on sale since I still don’t think it was worth its full price.

That means the cupboard count is down to 43.

VariaTEA

100g in less than 4 months? Perhaps you were more impressed than you thought.

haha go you!

Fjellrev

I think it was also out of convenience? Like, I don’t really have too many other chocolatey teas right now so I kept reaching for this and ATR’s Chocolate Latte haha.

In the words of Daylon R Thomas, “Liquid Nutella is the best description I can offer.”

I didn’t want to stop drinking this lovely sample from @Whiteantlers. I have a little more left over, but I think I’ll make a small amount of Sun tea with it. I might as well experiment with this tea, since it’s so good. Plus, iced chocolate tea—it could be good!?

These samples have so far proven that there are other types of tea out there that I’ve yet to try; which I plan on trying more of, once I drink down more tea. It’s not that I’m not committed to tea, but I’m literally running out of room in my cupboard. I’ve purchased an unnatural amount in the past few months (there’s no such thing as an unnatural amount of tea, though), and I want to create a challenge for myself to see if I can drink away 5-6 teas before buying more.

Anyway, thank you for this lovely sample, Whiteantlers. It has been an adventure thus far, and I can’t wait to try the rest this week. :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Nutty, Sweet

apieceofquiche

This sounds really tasty.

MadHatterTeaDrunk

Let me just say that I love chocolate, and I love tea. I usually dislike chocolate tea. However, this is unique. It has me wanting more. And when the time comes, I might purchase enough of it to last a long time.

hawkband1

Starting on Steepster helped explode my cupboard. I’m also working on reducing my stash so I don’t feel guilty buying more tea! :)

MadHatterTeaDrunk

I’m right there with you! I purchased the last bit of tea from Liquid Proust…Now it’s time to sipdown older teas before I get any more. I thought having 15 teas in my cupboard was bad, but like you, joining Steepster has caused the cupboard to become overstuffed with tea. Ha-ha.

Inkling

Okay, you talked me into it…just ordered this one!

MadHatterTeaDrunk

Great decision! Totally worth it. :)

apieceofquiche

Oh my heavens, there are so many teas on this website that sound beyond delicious.

MadHatterTeaDrunk

@apieceofquiche That is why I’ve bookmarked it in my “Tea” bookmark folder, and left the site before I had decided that the credit card needed to be used. Ha-ha. Their teas leave me longing for them as much as a kid in a candy store. I wasn’t a huge fan of dessert tea….until now.

apieceofquiche

I couldn’t resist. I placed a small order this morning. :)

MadHatterTeaDrunk

Wonderful! I look forward to your reviews! :)

Sipdown by giveaway. I could never get this as perfect as it was the first time. I quickly got tired of the hazelnut flavoring, though the chocolate component was still very good.
I gave the rest away to a novice tea drinker who I hope will enjoy it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hazelnut

This is one of the chocolatiest teas I’ve ever had. As a chocoholic, I’m always looking for ways to get my fix that won’t destroy my health…I think I may have found the perfect thing. Why oh why can’t they keep this blend forever?? I just ordered a bunch since they’ve discounted it, but I may have to order even more.

For my fellow chocoholics or anyone interested: here’s $10 off! http://go.referralcandy.com/share/FKRVB4M

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML