Green Tea
Cardamon, Green, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Sil

• “This is my current cuppa, and it’s not bad. In terms of August Uncommon’s flavoured tea selections, I think this might actually be the simplest one I’ve tried in regard to concept/profile. It’s a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is really just as described. A slightly grassy (albeit very mild) green base, with vanilla and cardamom. Both the vanilla and cardamom are strong and distinct, and work very well with the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I like the cardamon. The usual cardamon bite is mellowed out by the vanilla. The green base seems really light to me. I’m used to black tea leaving me with a sense of fullness that I’m not getting...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was intrigued by August Uncommon when I saw ads on IG. I’d gotten out of the habit of drinking tea, but decided to try a few blends. Combray was the only green tea blend that appealed. The first...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Tastes Like: pound cake, vanilla, grass, warm hay, hazelnut, leather
Feels Like: unforgettable cakes in the countryside

Intoxicating aroma that conjures velvety cake on an afternoon in the countryside. Soft, sugar-laden butter glides across the tongue to meet tiny floral vanilla seeds apparent in the bottom of the cup, and the earthy, sweet grassiness of cardamom and green tea. A modern take on Proust’s tea-soaked Madeleine.
ingredients: organic green tea, organic cardamom seed, organic cardamom pod, organic vanilla pieces, natural flavoring

About August Uncommon Tea View company

This is my current cuppa, and it’s not bad.

In terms of August Uncommon’s flavoured tea selections, I think this might actually be the simplest one I’ve tried in regard to concept/profile. It’s a smooth, grassier tasting green tea with some nutty elements paired with an aromatic and very custardy vanilla that finishes with a hint of warming cardamom. Nice and easy drinking, some layers of flavours but doesn’t make your brain hurt trying to digest the concept. I do wish it was a bit richer, but I think that also might be my hatred of green tea flaring up and wanting to cover some of the grassier notes.

Fans of creamy things and with an appreciation for smoother, delicate/gentle teas will love this one!

This is really just as described. A slightly grassy (albeit very mild) green base, with vanilla and cardamom. Both the vanilla and cardamom are strong and distinct, and work very well with the green tea. I really do like this one, but find it a bit boring, and probably won’t be purchasing it again once my sample is gone.

I like the cardamon. The usual cardamon bite is mellowed out by the vanilla. The green base seems really light to me. I’m used to black tea leaving me with a sense of fullness that I’m not getting with most greens and it leaves me unsatisfied. Glad I tried this, but won’t reorder.

I was intrigued by August Uncommon when I saw ads on IG. I’d gotten out of the habit of drinking tea, but decided to try a few blends. Combray was the only green tea blend that appealed. The first time I prepared it, I brewed 3 teaspoons in 750 ml water and steeped for three minutes. The vanilla and cardamom were strong, but were overpowered by the bitterness of the brew. The steeping recommendations that come with the tea are wildly off the mark, in my opinion. Rather than using a tablespoon of tea, steeping for five minutes, using one teaspoon per 8 ounces is more than sufficient. The second preparation I made steeped for only two minutes, which yielded a much more pleasant tea. The brewed tea has a nice vanilla scent, and the cardamom vanilla flavor doesn’t overpower the green tea base. It seems fairly well balanced. I’ll probably buy more of this tea when I use up my current stash.

Flavors: Cardamon, Green, Vanilla

3 tsp 750 OZ / 22180 ML

The time has come. I get to see what everyone is freaking out about when it comes to August Uncommon. I’ve already tried three but have been too lazy to write any notes until now. Since cardamom and I are BFF’s—and because I got only a sample of this—first August Uncommon tasting note it is.

Hot, the cardamom and vanilla are ultra present whilst the base is mild. Initially, the first sip won me over and I immediately thought that I should order more before it’s gone. As this started to cool, however, the vanilla/cardamom and base are swapping places, and this becomes more vegetal.

The second cup I’m enjoying right now isn’t as creamily vanilla-esque as yesterday evening’s. I’d say I added less leaf than yesterday but tried to keep the rest of the steeping parameters the same. I’ll gladly finish the sample size but no more for me. I hands down prefer DAVIDsTEA’s Cardamom French Toast.

Second night this month when I haven’t slept a single minute and involuntarily witnessed the sun rise. Brain please shut up?

this one was ok for me..not as fantastic as others..but decent

Fjellrev

I wish more of the sample sizes were in stock, particularly Painted Desert. Would you say its chocolate note is similar to the one in Passage du Désir?

Christina / BooksandTea

I have the feeling Combray would have been great as a black tea. As a green, it’s too vegetal.

from what i recall, yes painted desert is similar to chocolate in passage..it’s not super spicy imo… i know omg didn’t love that one but i enjoyed it. passage is more chocolate hazenult obv.

Fjellrev

Ok, thanks. Yeah, figured it wouldn’t be worth the 100g.

I agree that this would have worked better with a black base, like an Assam.

Indigobloom

Ugh that happens to me sometimes. Frustrating! Hope tonight goes better for your zzzzz’s

Sipdown.

This was a sample that Sil gave me when we met at the Toronto Tea Festival. I know that August Uncommon has some unusual blends, but I’ve never really cottoned on to the idea of mixing green tea and vanilla, or green tea with chai spices. This has green tea, vanilla, and cardamom.

It smells lovely, I will give it that — vanilla and spice and cake. But the taste is pretty much what I was expecting: vegetal and vanilla. It was smoother than I expected, but it didn’t quite win me over.

I decided to copy Sil today and try this tea, since she sent it to me recently. :)

It’s interesting. This is the second tea of theirs I’ve tried, and I’d call this one boozy as well. Not AS boozy as the other one, thankfully.

The vanilla is loud and clear. The green base isn’t too vegetal or marine, although it’s definitely more vegetal than marine. It’s definitely cakey. Ohh, I want to bake a cake. But I’m doing a “healthy food” challenge. So maybe no cake for me.

Anyways, this is interesting and I’m mostly enjoying this cup. I’d like it better without the flavours that are making me think it’s full of booze.

Thanks so much for sharing it with me, Sil!

160 °F / 71 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

i think you’re just an AC drunk

Liquid Proust

Dangit… I wanted to name a tea Combray but not I cannot…

OMGsrsly

Sil I SWEAR that they remind me of booze! D: Maybe I should get out the rum…

OMGsrsly

LP, there are so many teas out there… I can’t imagine finding one-word descriptors that aren’t already used!

I was going to say…so that’s ixnay on the combray? Man someone better get that…

Got this one to work today. Steeped for 3mins. Vanilla and cardamom come through in deliciousness. the cardamom is more subtle but adds to the vanilla and makes this tasty for me…when i steep it right haha

What temp though?

“green” :P

OMGsrsly

That’s 160F on my kettle… what is it on yours?

something like that. 160 or 165