Dots and Loops

Black Fruit Blend
Apple, Clove, Fennel Seed, Flavor, Indian Black Tea
Baked Bread, Fennel, Green Apple, Malt, Rye, Sweet, Apple, Clove, Fruity, Green, Tannin, Citrus Zest, Cloves
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Home – 5:30 PM Yay, I just got my order from August Uncommon Tea. They have so many interesting flavors, I ordered several samples and there were a few more that I wanted that were out of stock. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “Previously, I gave this one a rating of 30. Now I’ve decided to not include a number since I don’t like savory teas, and this tea is decidedly savory. I liked the flavor of real apple in the black,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I didn’t expect to like this one so much, but it is actually one of the most unique and delicious blends I’ve had in a long time. This is very heavy on the clove, some nice fennel, some vegetal but...” Read full tasting note
  • “104/365 This one came to me free from AU’s recent “try for a dollar” promotion. In the event, it went through the checkout without asking me to pay anything, and it arrived a week or so later. I’d...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Bright black tea with green apple and fennel

This is a crisp black tea blend made by marrying mild black tea, tart green apple, and herbaceous fennel. Milk brings out its natural sweetness. It makes a super refreshing iced tea, and an exciting tea latte

INGREDIENTS: south indian black tea, egyptian fennel seed, turkish apple, caraway, flavoring, clove

TASTES LIKE: baked green apple, fennel bulb, lemon zest
FEELS LIKE: melodic sonic modulations

VEGANGLUTEN FREENON GMO

About August Uncommon Tea View company

Home – 5:30 PM

Yay, I just got my order from August Uncommon Tea. They have so many interesting flavors, I ordered several samples and there were a few more that I wanted that were out of stock. I love the free shipping idea, especially since their teas seem reasonably-priced.

Anyway, after giving all of them a good sniff, I chose this one to try today. I’m really diggin’ it! The fennel/caraway is the strongest note here, and it reminds me of rye or pumpernickel bread. Then there’s cooked green apple and some nice malt and bread notes from the base tea.

It’s unusual but tasty. I’m excited to try my other samples.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Fennel, Green Apple, Malt, Rye, Sweet

Lexie Aleah

Ooooh What did you order? I’ve tried two of their teas and really enjoyed them. The other day I was thinking that I need to try some more of their teas. The Golden Arrow one is my favorite!

Cameron B.

I got Breathless, Capri, Dots and Loops, Golden Arrow, Metropolitan, Psychocandy, The Black Lodge, and Tropic of Capricon. I would have liked Arabesque and Dark Iris as well, but they were out of stock in sample size.

Lexie Aleah

Nice! If you don’t end up loving/liking any of them I’d love to do a swap to try them.

Previously, I gave this one a rating of 30. Now I’ve decided to not include a number since I don’t like savory teas, and this tea is decidedly savory. I liked the flavor of real apple in the black, but the fennel killed me. My family members make fun of me because I try to pawn off teas I don’t like on them, and they’ll ask, “Is it savory?” Because they don’t want to be tricked into a savory tea either. I mean, I saw the ingredient list before I bought it, so I should’ve been ready, but I was not. Now I don’t buy a tea if it includes savory herbs in the ingredients.

This is very heavy on the clove, some nice fennel, some vegetal but fruity notes (green apple). The black base is absolutely perfect for this blend. I used 2 tsp leaf in 500 mL cold water, 45 min steep. I appreciate how refreshing this is iced, but I wanted to comment how much I like the apple flavour. It is present, but it isn’t like green apple candy/apple skin from most green apple teas. I’ve always disliked green apple flavour, so I was pleasantly surprised at the flavour in this blend.

Flavors: Apple, Clove, Fennel, Fruity, Green, Tannin

Iced 8 min or more
CrowKettle

I’m with you on the love for this one. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

104/365

This one came to me free from AU’s recent “try for a dollar” promotion. In the event, it went through the checkout without asking me to pay anything, and it arrived a week or so later. I’d been curious to try this one, so I was stoked to see it in my mailbox!

It smells wonderful. The apple and fennel are both really clear, even from just the dry leaf. Brewed, it takes on a slightly candy-like vibe – one of my colleagues said she could smell bubblegum, and it is a little like that. It reminds me slightly of apple Hubba Bubba, in the best possible way. It’s more nuanced when it’s actually brewed up – the apple is the main flavour; a touch sharp and acidic initially, with a slowly-developing sweetness. It’s definitely green apple! The fennel comes through second and helps with the sweetness, while adding a licorice-like note all its own. There’s a hint of clove in the background, making this a little less like candy and a little more like apple pie, plus a touch of malt from the black tea.

It’s delicious, and I love it!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Lexie Aleah

Nice to see that someone else took advantage of that deal as well. That one was my second choice. I ended up going with Golden Arrow.

The last few months have been a bit of a struggle both mentally and healthwise, but the better weather here on the West Coast seems to have given me back some energy. I’m looking forward to drinking teas besides Cold 911 (maybe iced tea is in the cards?).

This one more than makes up for my poor experience with (cue Twilight Zone music) the Black Lodge. This easy steeper had such a lovely balance of sour-sweet green apple, fennel and citrus zest that I ended up never drinking it with milk- the cloves and strong herbs make me mentally group it as a chai but I’ll have to order more if I want a latte or iced cup now!

The description on the back makes me laugh though. “Melodic sonic modulations” what now?! This is a pretty happy tea drinking experience and it got me through quite a few sick days, so I’ll go with it. This will be on the reorder list when I eventually run out of Psychocandy.

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Cloves, Fennel, Green Apple

Fjellrev

Aww, I’m sorry you’ve had a rough few months, CrowKettle. I really hope 2018 will improve for you to the max.

Lexie Aleah

I’m pretty sure this one is on sale right now and they are trying to clear it out. I’ve been wanting to try it myself. Hopefully the rest of the year goes better for you.

hugs

CrowKettle

Thanks everyone. Things seem to be going more smoothly now.

I appreciate the heads-up, Lexie Aleah :)

Evol Ving Ness

more hugs to you, CrowKettle.

It sucks to be less than 100%.

Oversteeped mug of this.

Surprisingly didn’t go bitter on me, maybe a touch astringent? Mostly what happened was that the intensity of the apple notes increased tenfold to the point where I felt like I was biting into a bright, shiny cartoon level of green apple. The fennel provided sweetness, but in a non-distinctly fennel way.

It was actually still very good.