Dots and Loops

Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

2 Images

• “I didn’t expect to like this one so much, but it is actually one of the most unique and delicious blends I’ve had in a long time. This is very heavy on the clove, some nice fennel, some vegetal but...” Read full tasting note
  • “104/365 This one came to me free from AU’s recent “try for a dollar” promotion. In the event, it went through the checkout without asking me to pay anything, and it arrived a week or so later. I’d...” Read full tasting note
  • “The last few months have been a bit of a struggle both mentally and healthwise, but the better weather here on the West Coast seems to have given me back some energy. I’m looking forward to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Oversteeped mug of this. Surprisingly didn’t go bitter on me, maybe a touch astringent? Mostly what happened was that the intensity of the apple notes increased tenfold to the point where I felt...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Tastes Like: baked green apple, fennel bulb, lemon zest

Feels Like: melodic sonic modulations

This is a crisp black tea blend made by marrying mild black tea, tart green apple, and herbaceous fennel. Milk brings out its natural sweetness. It makes a super refreshing iced tea, and an exciting tea latte.

A sweet-tart afternoon tea that is a delicious pair with pastries.

Ingredients: south indian black tea, egyptian fennel seed, turkish apple, caraway, flavoring, clove

About August Uncommon Tea View company

This is very heavy on the clove, some nice fennel, some vegetal but fruity notes (green apple). The black base is absolutely perfect for this blend. I used 2 tsp leaf in 500 mL cold water, 45 min steep. I appreciate how refreshing this is iced, but I wanted to comment how much I like the apple flavour. It is present, but it isn’t like green apple candy/apple skin from most green apple teas. I’ve always disliked green apple flavour, so I was pleasantly surprised at the flavour in this blend.

Flavors: Apple, Clove, Fennel, Fruity, Green, Tannin

Iced 8 min or more
CrowKettle

I’m with you on the love for this one. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

104/365

This one came to me free from AU’s recent “try for a dollar” promotion. In the event, it went through the checkout without asking me to pay anything, and it arrived a week or so later. I’d been curious to try this one, so I was stoked to see it in my mailbox!

It smells wonderful. The apple and fennel are both really clear, even from just the dry leaf. Brewed, it takes on a slightly candy-like vibe – one of my colleagues said she could smell bubblegum, and it is a little like that. It reminds me slightly of apple Hubba Bubba, in the best possible way. It’s more nuanced when it’s actually brewed up – the apple is the main flavour; a touch sharp and acidic initially, with a slowly-developing sweetness. It’s definitely green apple! The fennel comes through second and helps with the sweetness, while adding a licorice-like note all its own. There’s a hint of clove in the background, making this a little less like candy and a little more like apple pie, plus a touch of malt from the black tea.

It’s delicious, and I love it!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Lexie Aleah

Nice to see that someone else took advantage of that deal as well. That one was my second choice. I ended up going with Golden Arrow.

The last few months have been a bit of a struggle both mentally and healthwise, but the better weather here on the West Coast seems to have given me back some energy. I’m looking forward to drinking teas besides Cold 911 (maybe iced tea is in the cards?).

This one more than makes up for my poor experience with (cue Twilight Zone music) the Black Lodge. This easy steeper had such a lovely balance of sour-sweet green apple, fennel and citrus zest that I ended up never drinking it with milk- the cloves and strong herbs make me mentally group it as a chai but I’ll have to order more if I want a latte or iced cup now!

The description on the back makes me laugh though. “Melodic sonic modulations” what now?! This is a pretty happy tea drinking experience and it got me through quite a few sick days, so I’ll go with it. This will be on the reorder list when I eventually run out of Psychocandy.

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Cloves, Fennel, Green Apple

Fjellrev

Aww, I’m sorry you’ve had a rough few months, CrowKettle. I really hope 2018 will improve for you to the max.

Lexie Aleah

I’m pretty sure this one is on sale right now and they are trying to clear it out. I’ve been wanting to try it myself. Hopefully the rest of the year goes better for you.

hugs

CrowKettle

Thanks everyone. Things seem to be going more smoothly now.

I appreciate the heads-up, Lexie Aleah :)

Evol Ving Ness

more hugs to you, CrowKettle.

It sucks to be less than 100%.

Oversteeped mug of this.

Surprisingly didn’t go bitter on me, maybe a touch astringent? Mostly what happened was that the intensity of the apple notes increased tenfold to the point where I felt like I was biting into a bright, shiny cartoon level of green apple. The fennel provided sweetness, but in a non-distinctly fennel way.

It was actually still very good.