Herbal Rooibos Blend
Apple, Blackberry Leaves, Caramel, Flavor, Pumpkin Pieces, Rooibos, Vanilla
Brown Sugar, Butter, Butterscotch, Caramel, Custard, Maple Syrup, Rum, Sweet, Vanilla, Wood, Burnt Sugar, Cream, Milk, Molasses, Resin, Rooibos, Spicy, Toffee, Yogurt, Honey, Nutty, Peanut, Apple, Pumpkin, Alcohol, Graham Cracker
Caffeine Free
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “I bought a sample in my last order but polished it off a couple weeks ago. All I recall is that this was vaguely sweet but lacked an obvious caramel note. The pumpkin was very mild? The good news...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sample Sipdown! (34) Whoa, there must have been a lot of blackberry leaf in the bottom of this sample packet, because this is way sweet. In fact, it’s too sweet. The buttery and creamy caramel is...” Read full tasting note
  • “I need to abstain from caffeine for awhile due to surgery, so all the herbals in my cupboard are on heavy rotation. I’ve said in the past that I really don’t care for rooibos, but August Uncommon...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to Mastress Alita for sending me this one! I actually first bought a tin of it a year ago from Ashley back when I was just lurking and not leaving reviews. I have a lot of fond memories with...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Darkly sweet rooibos with pumpkin and caramel

Psychocandy is all pumpkin, no spice. We married the creamy sweet depth of real pumpkin flakes with earthy rooibos. Even before you taste it, the heady aroma will intoxicate you. Each sip has a long lingering caramel finish that remains long after the cup is empty. Adding milk turns the creamy sweetness up to 11. Makes a knockout tea latte.

INGREDIENTS: south african rooibos, dried pumpkin, turkish apple, caramel, sweet blackberry leaf, madagascar vanilla, flavoring

TASTES LIKE: baked pumpkin, salted butter caramel, golden syrup
FEELS LIKE: a brisk walk under a harvest moon

GLUTEN FREEVEGANNON GMO

About August Uncommon Tea View company

I bought a sample in my last order but polished it off a couple weeks ago. All I recall is that this was vaguely sweet but lacked an obvious caramel note. The pumpkin was very mild? The good news is that the base wasn’t crazily woodsy. Quite well-behaved in that respect. Adding milk just made it taste like a sweetened pumpkin. Still no warm, browned caramel.

Sample Sipdown! (34)

The buttery and creamy caramel is still enjoyable, but the overly sweet quality of it is making me rethink my plans to order a full-size pouch of this one…

Hmm, what to do…

Flavors: Butterscotch, Caramel, Sweet, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Kittenna

One day I’m going to break down and order from August Uncommon… this tea sounds like one I should pick up!

Cameron B.

Their teas are very hit-or-miss for me, but there are a few that I really enjoy. This one was much better in my previous cup, when there wasn’t so much blackberry leaf. XD

Mastress Alita

@Kittenna: If you need to sample Dots and Loops, A Field in Innsbrook, or Psychocandy, just message me. Back when I ordered they didn’t offer the smaller packages, just the tiny samplers (which were often sold out) or 100g tins so I ended up with a bunch of tins that are way bigger than I would ever need. I’m happy to give out samples from them.

Evol Ving Ness

Mastress Alita, note that Kittena is in Canada, AFAIK.

And Kittena, Customs dinged me over a hundred dollars on my AU order. AU reimbursed me, but GAH!

Mastress Alita

Ah, Kittena’s profile didn’t list location, so I didn’t know. Ya, I can’t ship outside of the US, unfortunately.

Lexie Aleah

A Field in Innsbrook sounds interesting! I guess they must not sell that one anymore as it’s not on the website. I was going to say that they have free shipping all the time now I believe but since your in Canada I guess that wouldn’t apply.

tea-sipper

Okay… you need to slow down with the sipdowns…. I am at ONE for the year. haha

Cameron B.

@tea-sipper – The sample size ones hardly count! I’m only keeping track of them because sipping down samples is my main goal right now. :)

Mastress Alita

@tea-sipper: Every sipdown is sacred! One sipdown is still a sipdown!

tea-sipper

Mastress Alita – That’s the way I see it.. sacred sipdowns. haha. Sipdowns are tough, especially if you either love or hate a tea.

Kittenna

@Mastress Alita – Yes, sadly in Canada, but I appreciate the offer! I do have a friend in NY though, which might be helpful at some point.
@Evol – That’s brutal. Knock on wood, customs hasn’t hit me yet, but I’m sure it will happen eventually! Glad you were reimbursed, but that’s so crappy for the company. I hope it doesn’t happen often for them!

I need to abstain from caffeine for awhile due to surgery, so all the herbals in my cupboard are on heavy rotation. I’ve said in the past that I really don’t care for rooibos, but August Uncommon has such great teas I thought I’d give this a shot. Brew smells like vanilla pudding, and the vanilla flavor was the most prominent for me. A tiny bit of burnt sugar smokiness from the rooibos. A very nice tea, but not in love, despite it being warm, sweet and comforting. Dang, I really miss my black teas!

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Vanilla

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Thanks to Mastress Alita for sending me this one! I actually first bought a tin of it a year ago from Ashley back when I was just lurking and not leaving reviews. I have a lot of fond memories with this one. It’s a flavor unlike any other tea I’ve had. There’s a murky rooibos flavor, along with pumpkin and a hint of caramel. There also has to be something else that makes this taste so different from other teas, but I’m not sure what. Some sips end with a weird peppery flavor, and I’m not sure what the culprit for that is. Anyway, although it’s not the very best tea, I enjoy this one and am quite pleased to have it in my cupboard once again.

I brewed this to review for Sororitea Sisters. I then got distracted so its cold and I’m too lazy to do a full review so I’ll just say that when steeped this smelled awesomely like caramel. Cold, it is just too sweet. That could also be my steeping (2 perfect teaspoons in 16 oz of water steeped for 4 minutes at 200F water). I could see this one being better hot. At least I hope it is because cold the caramel coats the tongue and becomes too much. Thankfully I know someone I can pawn this off on if I can’t make it work for me.

I tried this one hot and deffinitly found it to be quite different than coldbrewed. I also added a splash of almond milk. I get more peanuts and sunflower seed flavour, very nutty, honey, milk, and toffee. I guess it’s a bit like peanut brittle? I don’t know what I expected, but I was hoping for more caramel or pumpkin. Thanks again to CrowKettle for the share. I was considering ordering a bag of this but have decided I don’t need to have it in my cupboard. I really enjoyed tasting it, though.

Flavors: Honey, Nutty, Peanut, Toffee

Mastress Alita

I ordered this recently, as I enjoy collecting pumpkin teas. Curious to try it out!

relaxing evening playing games and reading….yay for the weekend. I really love this one – too bad the other teas from AU were a bust this round. Nice to have at least a couple teas i can drink in the evening that are truly tasty.

Erm… I guess this is sipdown because the entirety of the tin is now on the carpet. Thank you, crappy lid. I’m pretty sad about this one because there were at least 10 cups left in there.

Some of the rooibos and fruit pieces fell into my Ghost of Jasmine Dragon Pearls and that, at least, is nice.

Hurrah for impromptu vacuuming!

derk

I have embraced various rug and floor teas as they happen. Vacuuming is usually long overdue so at least something good came out of this misfortune of yours.

CrowKettle

Yeah, vacuuming never hurts, and the mess created two additional positive things: the room now smells like Halloween candy and candles, and a new tea was made from the wastes: Psycho Phoenix Candy Jasmine Pearl tea. It’s not completely terrible.

Tabby

Oh nooo… :(

Mastress Alita

I remember the morning where half a T2 sampler ended up all over my linoleum floor… I was dead tired and it looked like a bunch of dismembered spider legs, and sweeping that up was the last thing I felt up to doing that moment in time. Spilt dry tea is such a mood. I know that feel.

omg that sucks so bad

Evol Ving Ness

Gah! Glad that you are finding a happy place in this mess.

Shit.

This is really indulgent, but holy fuck is the flavour good. Like, I’ll be honest when I got my August Uncommon teas for this season and I saw that this was a pumpkin flavoured rooibos I kind of groaned a little internally because did I really need another pumpkin tea this year? And I’ve had herbal/rooibos pumpkin teas with the sweet component and soft spices – they’re ok but not like mind blowing?

This is sort of mind blowing though. I’d argue that flavour wise it’s sort of this molasses/brown sugar flavour first and foremost – very dark, deep, rich and indulgent. It really coats the mouth too and is just captivating. From there, then I would say you get more of the pumpkin and apple flavour due: sort of a mid sip undertone that gradually transitions into a more main flavour? It’s very “bourbon pumpkin pie” but with a lot of sweetness/brown sugar and without the crust. It rounds out with more of a vanilla toffee sort of flavour profile and finishes with this haunting lingering sweetness.

I’m in love.

Flavors: Alcohol, Apple, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Cream, Graham Cracker, Molasses, Pumpkin, Toffee, Vanilla

CrowKettle

Onto the wishlist it goes!

doh! now i wish i had picked some up! lol

Sakura Sushi

Sounds amazing – I just can’t pull the trigger on this one because of my hatred of rooibos. If only it was black tea! Oh, well…