Oolong Tea
Butterscotch, Honey, Mineral, Cardboard, Cinnamon, Toast, Earth, Grapes, Wet Rocks
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Beautiful Taiwan Tea Co.

2 Images

• “This Asian Beauty Oolong, also known as Dongfang Meiren,Oriental Beauty or White Tip Oolong, is as complex and evolves in character as great as the variety of its name. It is quite impressive, as...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a good tea. I took a 10g sample and spread it out over three sessions with my trusty little 60ml gaiwan. Each session brought out significantly new and different notes. The more I...” Read full tasting note
  • “GCTTB this is a decent enough oolong. It’s not roasty, and like i think it was evol, said…it’s comes across a little bit like a straight black tea. This didn’t knock my socks off but it wasn’t a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Received this one as a free sample with my order from Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company I have not been impressed with any of their teas so far other than this one very clean tea very mild great daily...” Read full tasting note

From Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company

Also known as Oriental Beauty, this teas name was given by Queen Elizabeth II of England who considered it a BEAUTIFUL tea! You’ll get hints of honey and cinnamon from this tea. Although an oolong, it is closer to a black tea in taste. It’s light bodied and very smooth. Don’t add anything to it please as this tea is very pleasant and sophisticated.

Location: Xin Zhu county, North-Western Taiwan

Chinese name: 東方美人茶/Dong Fang Mei Ren Cha

About Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company View company

This Asian Beauty Oolong, also known as Dongfang Meiren,Oriental Beauty or White Tip Oolong, is as complex and evolves in character as great as the variety of its name. It is quite impressive, as it changes with each infusion. There is as much shift in the taste and profile as the weather here in the Midwest. I’m very captivated by this one, to the degree of being very hard to stop drinking it. Cup after cup, there was something new and intriguing.

Let me start by saying the leaf quality is spectacular! There is a varying of size, but most all of the leaves are smaller than the normal larger oolong leaf. There are plenty of very small leaves that are absolutely perfect in their shape and with lots of buds present as well. The leaves resemble a very high grade black tea leaf, with its smaller shape and length. Again, very interesting.

The initial few infusions speak of a certain cranberry tanginess that has a sweet aftertaste – like its been mixed with an orange blossom honey. Very unique and different from other Oriental Beauty teas that I’ve tried. One thing I did noticed as you got past the fist 3 steepings, was its transition in taste to a Second Flush Darjeeling black tea. Very nice! I can certainly see why some would think of this oolong as a black tea.

I know that this may not be the tea for everyone, however I would encourage you to try it and if you don’t really care for it at first…keep drinking! It will change in taste and very well may be one of your favorites.

boychik

im very tempted. very…did you get any free samples with the order?

Pureleaf

On this particular order I did not…however in the past I have. It may have been due to the 25% off Black Friday sale – not sure. You should definitely try these guys – they offer free shipping to all orders in the US. No minimum order requirements. Also, I know you can purchase samples from them. I don’t see this option online, but after contacting them – they can arrange the purchase. Everything I’ve tried (which has been a lot lately, lol), has been awesome.

boychik

thank you so much for recommending this company. i probably will place the order tonight. i’m always on the lookout for good Oriental Beauty. this one seems affordable

The more I became familiar with the tea, the more it surprised me. And that, my friends, is a good tea. This is a tea to explore, with lots of flavors hiding in little nooks and crannies.

In general, it is very similar to a black/red tea (specifically a Taiwanese black), with a bit of slightly aged leafy white tea. It’s nutty and fruity and caramely. But the flavors behind these foreground flavors are where things got interesting: oatmeal cookie, cherry-chocolate, that weird “mulberry” note that I noted in other Taiwanese black teas… Quite a busy, but complementary, flavor profile.

The price is reasonable for the experience it provides.
Dry leaf – currants, honey floral, light floral (lavender?), dried dates, Fig Newton, mulberry, dark syrup. In preheated vessel – intense plum and honey notes; red tea-like prune notes

Smell – floral, sweet and perfumey, green leaf and green stem, dry nuttiness – roasted peanut and peanut shell, a certain sweet and floral waxiness (“mulberry”), date, toffee

Taste – NUT: almond nut and peanut shell, nice dryness; FRUIT: prune, mulberry, waxy fruitiness, date, fig jam; SWEET: honey, malt, oatmeal cookie, dark toffee, light milk chocolate, cherry hard candy

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

GCTTB this is a decent enough oolong. It’s not roasty, and like i think it was evol, said…it’s comes across a little bit like a straight black tea. This didn’t knock my socks off but it wasn’t a bad cup of tea. sort of average for me :)

Received this one as a free sample with my order from Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company I have not been impressed with any of their teas so far other than this one very clean tea very mild great daily drinker.

Flavors: Butterscotch, Honey

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

GCTTB Six

What a strange lovely tea this is! It is an oolong that tastes like a honey black. I could have sworn that I was drinking honey black.

The small and medium leaves in my clear glass steeper are perfection. Just loveliness.

The tea doesn’t appear to have all that much staying power though. The first two steeps were dark and honey-ed, but the third has already faded to an mineral oolong. I might not go for a fourth steep, but as an experiment, perhaps I should.

Thank you, Ubacat, for adding this to the box.

Flavors: Honey, Mineral

I felt like a gongfu tea session, even if it was already way past my bedtime. So I pulled this one out of the cupboard.

The dry leaf smells of black tea and something spicy—cinnamon and anise? I hate anise, so I’m a bit worried at this point. It’s also smelling honey sweet.

I’m a bit underwhelmed by the flavor coming out in this oolong. It’s pleasant, but very light. It’s sweet and spicy, just like the aroma of the dry leaves. I got honey, cinnamon , luckily no anise.

Double the leaf and up the temperature to 205. That’s better! The aroma coming off the lid is peaches, honey, and cinnamon, and it’s intense! The aroma is echoed in the flavors to a lesser degree. There’s a bit of tannin and astringency, but not much.

Here’s a pour and a shot of my new turtley setup: https://www.instagram.com/p/BM-idVah0QW/

I don’t know if my sample got too old really fast or what but I tried brewing this up last night and it didn’t do anything for me. It was thin in color and taste. The taste reminded me of what liquid cardboard might taste like. It wasn’t gag inducing or offensive. It was just… bland and watery. Unfortunate because I really enjoyed everything else from this tea company. Just not this one.

Flavors: Cardboard

Zennenn

I’ve also been unimpressed with this tea. Sad when that happens!

mtchyg

Yeah, I was really surprised because, as I mentioned, I really enjoyed everything else from them that I have tried. Can’t win em all, I suppose.

This one is not for me. It tastes like black tea which I really don’t like. I didn’t pick up any of the flavor notes that others described. No honey, no peach, no butterscotch, nothing except a generic black tea flavor.

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 0 sec 2 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Equusfell

You know, I find that Oriental/Asian/Eastern Beauty Oolongs really remind me of black tea as well. I’m not the biggest fan of black teas either, which maybe explains why I don’t care much for these oolongs or many Wuyi/Rock Oolongs.

Wow. This tea is great! My girlfriend asked me if it had honey in it, that’s how much that flavor comes through in this tea. Also has some pleasant mineral quality to it but, boy, I really am blown away by that honey flavor. Delicious. I got a couple good steepings western style. This company has some great oolongs!

Flavors: Honey

As a lover of oolong, I tend to shy away from the higher oxidized ones as much as possible. Their flavor has always been weakly barley-esque. The one note teas that might as well be weak black teas. This oolong though may be the one to change my mind forever. This higher oxidized oolong has just as much complexity and subtle balance as any of it’s lighter cousins. The dry nose on this copper penny colored brew was light and fruity, like nectarine and honeysuckle. The result brew was a different story. I got a smell of warm cinnamon sugar on buttered multigrain toast. That was a theme that stayed consistent throughout 4 steepings in my gaiwan. On the second infusion I thought I detected a butterscotch element, but I lost it on the rest of the infusions. Oddly enough, I go an acidic smell from the brewed leaves that never transferred itself to the liquor. Lucky me! Although I was not able to brew it as many times as my other lightly oxidized oolong, I did have fun with this one until I got to that mellow black tea quality.

Flavors: Butterscotch, Cinnamon, Honey, Toast