No. 44, Bellocq Christmas

Anise, Baked Bread, Cardamon, Clove, Fennel, Floral, Malt, Smooth, Thick, Rose, Tangy
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Bellocq Tea Atelier

Holiday blend of organic black tea, rose, vanilla and spices (December, seasonal).

About Bellocq Tea Atelier View company

The world's finest teas and scents should be an everyday luxury. Honoring quality, tranquility and pleasure.

I gota sample of this when I was at Bellocq because I was unsure about it since it was based on a darjeeling. I’m glad I did because it’s quite delicious! The coppery bright taste of the darjeeling is tempered by the strength of the spices and the sweetness of the rose. The rose is definitely a hey lement to this blend. Without it the tea would have seemed muddy and dark. The vanilla in this is fantastic! I’m trying to pick out the spicesand I’m getting cinnamon, cardamon, and saffron? I could be wrong about the saffron.

This is definitely a warmth-bringing, cheerful tea! I might just grab up a little more for. Around the holidays.

teamore

It’s on my list of favorites. I already need more.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I’ve been really enjoying my Bellocq teas.

teamore

They were at the American Made event last night at Grand Central. I stopped by hoping to save a trip to Greenpoint in the future but they were mobbed and only traveled with a bit of their inventory. I’ll head back at any time :)

you guys are making me want to try some of these with your reviews!

It’s worth it, Sil!

I’ll have to look them up in a few weeks. Do they have an online store that’s decent? I’m so lazy lol

CrowKettle

This company is on my list to check out too. Their blends look so interesting, but they’re a bit on the pricey side?

Looks like it. And laaaaarge sizes. Holy 3oz.

OMGsrsly

I feel like I probably shouldn’t do this, but I’ll share stuff if you’re doing a bulk buy, Sil. Not too picky although I’d like to avoid mint.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Ifyou guys want I can send each of you single or two cup samples of the teas I have from them. Just message your addresses. I don’t mind shipping to Canada.

I can’t say no..

That would be awesome!

Incredible notes of fresh cherries with chocolate and cinnamon. A definite winner!

Home – 7:30 PM

Another (highly overpriced) blend from Bellocq.

This is quite good though. The base tea is thick, malty, and bready. I was surprised to learn that it’s a Darjeeling. The spicing is nice, and it complements the base tea as opposed to lying on top of it. I would guess a combination of clove, cardamom, and fennel or anise. There’s a very subtle floral note, I’m not sure I would know that it’s rose. I don’t really get any vanilla, but it could be the age of the tea.

Tasty, but definitely not worth the price!

Flavors: Anise, Baked Bread, Cardamon, Clove, Fennel, Floral, Malt, Smooth, Thick

ashmanra

Good to know. I have been looking at their site trying to pick something new to try. I am intrigued by National Parks, and I looked at this one but I am a bit tired of Christmas bkends that are orange, clove, and cinnamon. I have enjoyed the cherry and almond or vanilla Christmas teas I have tried. Orange without cinnamon and clove appeals to me, also. I love their Ashmanra Afternoon for when I want something caffeine free, and while it is expensive, at least it is all supposed to be organic and ethically sourced,

Cameron B.

Rofl “Ashmanra Afternoon”, I love that. :P

The blends I’ve most enjoyed from Bellocq are National Parks Dept. and The White Wolf.

ashmanra

I guess autocorrect changed it! It is actually Ashram Afternoon! Ha ha! But Ashmanra Afternoon works, too,

sample from crowkettle this one was just…not tasty. Not for the reasons i expected (ie the rose) but because of the weird spice combination. this is just not for me..kinda tastes like licking christmas potpourri…without the flowers? i dunno. very much not for me

CrowKettle

Yeah, this one is not good. I don’t know what to do with it- pretty sure no one is going to like it. Maybe it needs to be my office/school/commute tea.

Bellocq kindly gave me this sample when I purchased a tin of their breakfast blend last year. Yes, I know, last year, so maybe it’s a little past its prime. Still, this flavor is, well, weird. Not getting any black tea flavor, and the spices are unidentifiable. Vanilla? What vanilla? I think I’m getting a little anise flavor, and I hate anise, so, well, blech. The rose is not a floral note that I can appreciate. Also, I’m noting some tangy notes at the finish, and I hate tangy, too. So, this is not the tea for me. Too bad, since I think their breakfast blend is so superior.

Flavors: Anise, Rose, Tangy

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Expected something entirely different. Maybe it has something to do with my tastebuds, can’t tell. But I don’t get neither cherries not chocolate here as was mentioned in previous review. I’m not even sure about cinnamon. What I get is cloves. Too much cloves for me. Not a bad tea, but I was expecting something like dessert tea and to me this isn’t it.