No. 22, National Parks Dept.

Black Green Herbal Blend
Blue Cornflowers, Juniper, Kukicha, Organic Black Tea
Honey, Malt, Roasted, Smoke, Sweet, Astringent, Autumn Leaf Pile, Cedar, Forest Floor, Wood, Pine, Berries
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Started the morning out with this one. Having a bit of a rough day and wanted some delicious cups of tea today. I still need a couple sipdowns before the end of the weekend, but for the next...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown #52 This is another one sent to me from Sil, thanks! Not sure what to say about this one. I like the way the cedar aroma rises up into my nostrils, I’ve always loved the aroma of cedar. The...” Read full tasting note
  • “I couldn’t resist breaking into this tea after bringing it home from the tea meet-up! The base to this tea is strong, malty, and smoky in the way that I always imagined smoky teas to be, but never...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you, Cameron, I had this last night. I finished all your samples except one (the peppermint cream) and enjoyed them all so much! Interesting and yummy tea. Unfortunately, I accidentally threw...” Read full tasting note

From Bellocq Tea Atelier

A hand-crafted blend of full-bodied organic Indian teas, juniper berries, cedar tips, and wild flowers, National Parks Dept. embodies the rugged, soulful beauty of uncultivated forests. Be inspired by the perfection that is nature; find yourself in dark ancient woodlands, hear the quiet snap of fallen twigs underfoot, inhale the curls of woodsmoke entwined with resinous notes of pine and cedar. A blend to enjoy with Emerson under the stars, this earthy and reflective brew produces an amber-hued liquor with a lingering, mellow finish.

Ingredients:

Organic black tea, roasted kukicha, organic juniper berries, organic cedar fir tips, and organic blue cornflowers

About Bellocq Tea Atelier View company

The world's finest teas and scents should be an everyday luxury. Honoring quality, tranquility and pleasure.

Started the morning out with this one. Having a bit of a rough day and wanted some delicious cups of tea today. I still need a couple sipdowns before the end of the weekend, but for the next couple of days i may just focus on drinking up teas with larger quantities and see if i can get the weight down :)

mrs.stenhouse12

This tea sounds so good! I put it on my wishlist :D

omgsrsly and i love it, dexter is less of a fan haha. It’s not as piney/woodsy as i want it to be but i love it :)

oh and given the crappy cad $ we can always do a mini swap sometimes if you like.

mrs.stenhouse12

@Sil I will keep that in mind! I love woodsy teas, I’m on a woodsy kick overall right now regarding tea and perfumes haha

Dexter

I don’t mind the woodiness of this tea – nor the juniper berries – it’s the pine that I’m not a huge fan of – HOWEVER if you like that style of tea – you should like this one – it’s nice and balanced. :))

tigress_al

Hope the rest of your day is better than this morning !

thanks tigress! it’s going… heh

Sipdown #52
This is another one sent to me from Sil, thanks!
Not sure what to say about this one. I like the way the cedar aroma rises up into my nostrils, I’ve always loved the aroma of cedar. The tea is a little on the bright side for me, & I’m really craving something bassy & satisfying right now.

TeaBrat

this sounds so interesting!!!

i really enjoyed this one in how different it was…there are two from belloq i would gladly order again

The base to this tea is strong, malty, and smoky in the way that I always imagined smoky teas to be, but never experienced before. The smokiness is warming and comforting, not obnoxious and overpowering like lapsong souchongs. The woody cedar and the deep, sweet juniper berries further mellow out the smoky aspect.
The pine in the aroma and aftertaste reminds me of summers in Maine! It’s so relaxing! I really like this blend. It really makes me want to try White Wolf, which has cedar in it, when it comes back in stock.

So jealous you guys got to participate in this!

Fuzzy_Peachkin

NYC definitely has its opportunities!

teamore

I loved that you used the new name.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Lol! Well the new name is already on the Belloqc website, so I thought it would be a good choice to use the new name.

Interesting and yummy tea. Unfortunately, I accidentally threw out the tea after the first infusion. Doh. I was cleaning out my other gaiwan and went on cleaning autopilot. At least I got to drink the first infusion. I do not know what juniper or cedar tastes like but whatever all the flavors in this tea, it was tasty and different. It was sweet, had honey, smoke, malts notes with a nice roasted-toasted comforting flavor. I enjoyed it so much. Thank you again, Cameron B.!

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Roasted, Smoke, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C

Love this one

Kawaii433

I’m glad that I got to try it, Sil. :)

ashmanra

This is one I have been wanting to try for a while. It is intriguing, but I have so much tea I really shouldn’t buy anything just yet! Maybe soon!

CrowKettle

The over-keen tea clean has struck many of us! I remember liking this one quite a bit too! I’ll have to pick up more someday; too bad Bellocq is so expensive!

Kawaii433

@ashmanra I feel that way about so many teas (i.e. that I shouldn’t buy anything yet.) lol.
@CrowKettle I didn’t know they are expensive, I am happy Cameron B. shared it then! :)

Home – 5:00 PM

This is a beautiful tea – big pieces of cedar, twigs, juniper berries, and pretty blue cornflowers mixed in with black tea leaves. It really does look like the forest floor.

It tastes like the forest floor too, in the best possible way. The black tea here is strong and malty, and a bit brisk. There’s also a nice roasted flavor, I’m not sure whether that’s coming from the cedar or the stems. I’m not sure that I can taste juniper, but the cedar is a nice accompaniment.

I will say I’m surprised at how astringent this came out, especially since it’s not bitter. I wonder if the astringency is coming from something other than the tea itself?

Flavors: Astringent, Autumn Leaf Pile, Cedar, Forest Floor, Malt, Roasted, Sweet, Wood

Of all the amazing teas that Sil sent me – this was the one I was most worried about.
There are pieces of pine tree in here. The leaf looks like it’s been picked up off the forest floor. Now I’m sure this would excite some people, but it kind of scared me.
The first cup, I under leafed and under steeped – I was afraid….
That cup was really mild and didn’t really taste like much more than black tea – ok so far so good – not as scary as I had feared.
The second cup I steeped longer and with more leaf. This is a little piney and a little fruity. There is hints of woody and smoke. It’s like being out in the woods.
While I can appreciate how balanced and interesting this is – these flavors are not really to my liking. Not nearly as bad as I had feared, but this still isn’t really to my tastes.
Thanks Sil for this interesting experience – I would never have chosen this to myself and would not have tried it if you hadn’t sent it to me. :))

Plunkybug

Pieces of pine tree would worry me too. :P

haha yay for getting out of our comfort zones :) there will be more from Bellocq that i’ll send you as i actually open them

Dexter

I will try almost anything – I’ve been surprised before – that tea you thought you would hate but didn’t. That’s the amazing thing about sharing – never know what hidden gems you will find. :)

Dexter

@Plunkybug- ok pine TREE might be an exaggeration – ingredient list says “douglas fir tips” :))

Plunkybug

Ah, ok, that’s better. :P

This tea smells like the northwoods, and I love it. The taste is also great. I found it a very mellow, smooth black tea with hints of a forest-y taste. This will definitely be a staple for me.

Flavors: Forest Floor, Pine, Wood

This is an “assam-y” black tea blend, with a twist to the finish and lingering flavour- subtly composed of nutty cedar chips and sweet juniper berries. I’ve had other teas that have combined cedar and juniper berries but I like how this one mixes those flavours with the base blend.

Flavors: Berries, Cedar, Honey, Malt, Smoke

Fjellrev

Wow, the scents of cedar and juniper berry remind me of Banff. Beautiful but can’t imagine drinking that.

OMGsrsly

It’s GOOD, Fjellrev! Really good.

CrowKettle

I can save you a sample for when we meet up, Fjellrev! The “woodland” flavours aren’t heavy-handed, imo.

Fjellrev

If you really like it, you don’t have to worry about it! I’m also not a fan of smoky teas anyway.

Oh, I have this one! It’s not labelled with this name, but that’s OK. I think this name is way better than the old one.

Anyways, it looks and smells super cool. I think it might be an assam base, as it smells SUPER malty. The juniper berries and tree bits should add an interesting flavour!

And it is interesting. It’s surprisingly sweet, and very malty. I can’t really tell there’s tree bits in here, but it’s really nice.

Would I get more? Maybe. I mean, I just did a tea count and am still rather overwhelmed. Maybe if I ever get down to 100?

I really want to pick some of these teas up someday….maybe if I get to 50 lol.

OMGsrsly

Yeah, I know what you mean! They’re quite expensive, but it looks like they’re selling 2.5 oz bags now which is nice.

ooohh