Earl Grey

Bergamot, Tea, Artificial, Ash, Bitter, Black Pepper, Earl Grey, Olive Oil, Rose, Flowers, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Mike Templeton

From Bigelow

A really fine cup of tea is one of life’s true pleasures. We heartily recommend Earl Grey for the enjoyment it will bring to your tea drinking. This delicately scented, aristocratic blend is an international favorite.

About Bigelow View company

I didn’t like it at first, being more used to green tea, but as I drank more it grew on me! I put in two sugar packets, and it definitely tasted “sweetened” although I wouldn’t call it “sweet.” It seems like a nice way to re-energize for the evening ahead.

Bigelow Tea

Chris, so happy you gave our Earl Grey a try. Did you also know we offer this flavor with Green Tea? Our Earl Grey Green can be found in stores, as well as on our website: http://www.bigelowtea.com/Catalog/Product/36/3/31/Earl+Grey+Green+Tea.aspx
Kathy for Bigelow Tea

This tea reminds me of my childhood. It is still in my mother’s cupboard! (but not mine.)

It fairly well defines mediocrity

Earl Grey is a classic – for years it was my favorite type of black tea. :) The refined but uplifting citrus aroma of bergamot really plays beautifully with black tea.

In my opinion Bigelow makes one of the most dependable bagged Earl Greys. Their version is not my favorite Earl Grey in the world, but it’s everywhere and it’s often the best offering available when you’re out and about, in some tiny store or a hotel. Nothing revolutionary here, but the bergamot vs. black tea balance is just right. The tea is not too harsh, the bergamot is not too soapy. It’s just yummy, slightly floral, dandyish (bergamot just makes me think of Victorian gentlemen, haha) lemony sweet bergamot blended into smooth black tea. Easy to drink, and makes me feel a bit nostalgic. I may be biased, because I had this tea pretty often when I was a child.

Perfect on the level of bergamot but the tea is dull, bitter, and depending on the batch pretty astringent.
It is the tea that started my addiction; my tastes have evolved since then.
Not too good but not disgusting.

I got this tea some what as a random gift a few weeks ago, I’ve been drinking my school’s Earl Grey (Not sure of the brand) for quite some time, but that simply tasted like generic black tea which I had assumed was what Earl Grey was a generic black tea, however after trying this tea its obvious my schools didn’t get it right, this has an amazing taste and the aroma of the bag prior to steeping smells distinctly of Froot Loops, which I thought was cool, esp because it tasted nothing of Froot Loops, which would be weird, this is definitely a tea I will be getting again.

Boiling 8 min or more

My favorite tea ever!

Great for sitting at the front desk, being called away from reception for an hour, and returning to find your cup not at all warm. I really craved caffeine, which is probably why its tepidity was not a hindrance to my enjoyment.

This is my all-time favorite tea. I started drinking this back in middle school after watching Captain Jean-Luc Picard order it aboard the Enterprise on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I generally fix this using my Sunbeam Tea Drop tea maker, which brews up to 28oz of tea.

Bigelow Tea

Mike, great to hear how much you enjoy our Earl Grey….thanks for being so loyal to Bigelow! Have you ever tried Earl Grey Green?

Kathy for Bigelow Tea

You know, I’m starting to rethink my snobbery regarding bagged tea. I started a new job this month (praise God!) and one of the fringe benefits is the company provides free coffee and free tea via boxes of Bigelow tea bags. At first the tea snob in me said I’ll just brew my own tea at home and bring it to the office in my thermos. But, my daily commute entails a 30-minute car ride followed by a 30-minute train ride followed by a 10-minute walk to the building, each way. I wasn’t quite ready to lug my five-cup thermos on my daily travels yet, so I decided to give the Bigelow tea bags a chance.

I steeped the standard paper bag for about five minutes using the office Keurig machine’s hot water setting. As common with brewed bagged tea, I didn’t notice a strong odor, but I could detect the bergamot with this one.

When I started sipping the tea, my taste buds were infused with enough Earl Grey flavor to scratch the itch. The flavor had no bitter twinge to it and the bergamot complemented the black tea taste as you would want and expect of any Earl Grey, bagged or loose leaf. I had no problem with the tea-heavy aftertaste either.

I liked this tea. It did satisfy me enough during the work day to keep me focused on my job (and the price is right!). I can’t deny that I miss my favorite robust loose leaf morning teas that I’ve enjoyed and depended on during the last five years. I will eventually bite the bullet and start hauling my thermos into work and home each day. However, until I get ambitious and motivated enough, this Bigelow tea will keep me from becoming tea-deprived.

HEY! I JUST NOTICED THAT THIS IS MY 200TH TASTING NOTE!!! IT ONLY TOOK ME FIVE YEARS TO GET HERE! THANKS FOR JOINING ME ON THIS FUN JOURNEY!

Flavors: Bergamot, Tea

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Shae

Congratulations on your new job and your 200th tasting note! I still enjoy bagged tea every once in a while too. I won’t ever go without Twinings Earl Grey in my tea cabinet. :)

ashmanra

Congrats on the new job, Stoo!

Stoo

Thanks, Shae! Twinings does make great teas! I hope all is well with you!

Stoo

Thanks, ashmanra! With the new job, I can continue to support my tea habit! I hope you are doing well!

Nattie

Congrats on 200 tasting notes!! (:

Thanks, Nattie!

ScottTeaMan

Congrats on the job & your 200th review Stoo!! :D After a 4.5 year hiatus, I’m back on Steepster reviewing teas-it’s good to be back with my tea friends! :)

LuckyMe

Congrats of the 200th tasting note, I’ve enjoyed reading them all :-)

ScottTeaMan

I love Earl Grey teas! Stash regular Earl Grey is my favorite tea bag EG, & in my top 5 (maybe top 3) for favorite EG. I like the balance of the tea base & bergamot—very nice! :D Their double Bergamot is also a top EG for me, but I don’t like it as much as a few others for hot tea, but it is truly amazing iced!! :)

Stoo

Thanks, ScottTeaMan! Welcome back! I’d have to say that Earl Grey teas are my favorite bagged tea too.

Stoo

Thanks, LuckyMe! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed my 200 ramblings! :-)

I absolutely love this tea. I like to drink it either straight or with a teaspoon of honey in it. My wife is a big fan of the “english” style with a little milk or cream – I can’t do that though.

175 °F / 79 °C 5 min, 0 sec 6 OZ / 177 ML