Earl Grey

Black Tea, Natural Bergamot Oil
Bitter, Citrus, Herbs, Smoke, Bergamot, Earl Grey, Tannic, Tea, Artificial, Ash, Black Pepper, Olive Oil, Rose, Flowers, Sweet
Tea Bag
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Tranquilitea

From Bigelow

For our special Earl Grey, we’re adamant about using only the best bergamot oil. We source ours from the same garden in Calabria, Italy year after year. Then we carefully blend this flavorful and aromatic bergamot with a bold handpicked black tea… a recipe like no other.

About Bigelow View company

A good tea for “tea-bag tea” on the road. I tend to use two bags in the 12 oz. cup at the hotel with some cream and sugar.

1975 tasting notes

This is a pretty generic Earl Grey, but luckily it is a sipdown.

Enough bergamot to be flavourful. Something citrusy (or lemon dish soap residue on my cup?). The base is brisk but not very bitter. It is flavourful enough that you could add milk without covering up the flavours of the blend. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either (as long as you stick ot a short steep time of ~2 minutes).

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey, Tannic

You know, I’m starting to rethink my snobbery regarding bagged tea. I started a new job this month (praise God!) and one of the fringe benefits is the company provides free coffee and free tea via boxes of Bigelow tea bags. At first the tea snob in me said I’ll just brew my own tea at home and bring it to the office in my thermos. But, my daily commute entails a 30-minute car ride followed by a 30-minute train ride followed by a 10-minute walk to the building, each way. I wasn’t quite ready to lug my five-cup thermos on my daily travels yet, so I decided to give the Bigelow tea bags a chance.

I steeped the standard paper bag for about five minutes using the office Keurig machine’s hot water setting. As common with brewed bagged tea, I didn’t notice a strong odor, but I could detect the bergamot with this one.

When I started sipping the tea, my taste buds were infused with enough Earl Grey flavor to scratch the itch. The flavor had no bitter twinge to it and the bergamot complemented the black tea taste as you would want and expect of any Earl Grey, bagged or loose leaf. I had no problem with the tea-heavy aftertaste either.

I liked this tea. It did satisfy me enough during the work day to keep me focused on my job (and the price is right!). I can’t deny that I miss my favorite robust loose leaf morning teas that I’ve enjoyed and depended on during the last five years. I will eventually bite the bullet and start hauling my thermos into work and home each day. However, until I get ambitious and motivated enough, this Bigelow tea will keep me from becoming tea-deprived.

HEY! I JUST NOTICED THAT THIS IS MY 200TH TASTING NOTE!!! IT ONLY TOOK ME FIVE YEARS TO GET HERE! THANKS FOR JOINING ME ON THIS FUN JOURNEY!

Flavors: Bergamot, Tea

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Shae

Congratulations on your new job and your 200th tasting note! I still enjoy bagged tea every once in a while too. I won’t ever go without Twinings Earl Grey in my tea cabinet. :)

ashmanra

Congrats on the new job, Stoo!

Stoo

Thanks, Shae! Twinings does make great teas! I hope all is well with you!

Stoo

Thanks, ashmanra! With the new job, I can continue to support my tea habit! I hope you are doing well!

Nattie

Congrats on 200 tasting notes!! (:

Thanks, Nattie!

ScottTeaMan

Congrats on the job & your 200th review Stoo!! :D After a 4.5 year hiatus, I’m back on Steepster reviewing teas-it’s good to be back with my tea friends! :)

LuckyMe

Congrats of the 200th tasting note, I’ve enjoyed reading them all :-)

ScottTeaMan

I love Earl Grey teas! Stash regular Earl Grey is my favorite tea bag EG, & in my top 5 (maybe top 3) for favorite EG. I like the balance of the tea base & bergamot—very nice! :D Their double Bergamot is also a top EG for me, but I don’t like it as much as a few others for hot tea, but it is truly amazing iced!! :)

Stoo

Thanks, ScottTeaMan! Welcome back! I’d have to say that Earl Grey teas are my favorite bagged tea too.

Stoo

Thanks, LuckyMe! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed my 200 ramblings! :-)

I absolutely love this tea. I like to drink it either straight or with a teaspoon of honey in it. My wife is a big fan of the “english” style with a little milk or cream – I can’t do that though.

175 °F / 79 °C 5 min, 0 sec 6 OZ / 177 ML

Disgusting and grimy. DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. Oil was too strong.

Flavors: Artificial, Ash, Bergamot, Bitter, Black Pepper, Earl Grey, Olive Oil, Rose, Tea

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is what I call a Mid level Earl Grey…. not my favorite but will do. This steeps pretty quickly, and dark. I didn’t like how I could taste the paper after steeping.

Ordered a London Fog at lunch today and this was the tea that was used. It made for a delicious London Fog. No complaints!

Flavors: Bergamot

This is a great earl grey for the inexpensive price. I love the strong bergamot. It’s a wonderfully fragrant blend. The flavor is expected and fine for an earl grey.

Flavors: Bergamot

Okay, pretty much the same as last time and did not finish a cup.

Backlog. Had this one yesterday early evening, after a LONG day at the zoo, in which we got completely drenched in a summer shower. So, after getting home and getting in some dry clothes, I reached for what I hoped would be a comforting pick-me-up. This tea, while not the tastiest Earl Grey I’ve ever had, certainly did the job. There was a hint of vanilla somewhere in there, though there shouldn’t have been, but it made it interesting nonetheless. I would drink this tea again, but won’t buy it to have in stock.

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp