Herbal Yerba maté Blend
Calendula, Ginger, Green Yerba Mate, Lemon Peel, Lemon Verbena, Lemongrass
Citrus, Dry Grass, Ginger, Hay, Herbaceous, Lemon, Lemongrass, Smooth, Tangy
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Good morning everyone. I have managed to get the day off work (WOOHOO!) so I can relax and have another tea crazy day. I’m going to start off with a morning tea. In raw form this tea has a spicy...” Read full tasting note
  • “This would be a good substitute for a glass of orange juice in the morning. Maybe I oversteeped it a tad, as the lemongrass is potent today! So is the ginger. Very nice citrus overtones. The finish...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you Dexter3657 for sending this one my way. I found the flavours in this tea sedate. There was a strong lemon aroma, but the taste was mellow and not at all tart. I got a bit of heat from the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I had my first cup of tea just before leaving the house at 6.00 this morning. My second cup, unknown to me, wouldn’t pass my lips until gone 11.00. It might just have been sheer thirst, but I swear...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Get a healthy kick start every morning with our zesty yerba mate tea. An energy boosting tea with lemon and ginger.

Wake up to sunshine on your face all year round with this energy boosting citrus tea blend. It’s said Mate gives you a boost equal to caffeine but without the crash later on. Light and Refreshing, with a kick of ginger, it’s a supercharged take on the classic lemon ginger.

Mate, lemongrass, lemon verbena, ginger, lemon peel, calendula

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

In raw form this tea has a spicy citrus smell and is rather twiggy and large in appearance.

Once steeped this tea is yellow in colour with a sweet lemon grass and ginger aroma.

In flavour there are strong lemon tones (particularly lemon grass and lemon verbena) with a spicy undertone of ginger which over all creates a stimulating and warm blend. The mate is rich but is covered nicely by the mix of flavours and would be suitable for those that are not keen on it’s robustness.

The flavours mellow rather quickly so you’re left with a refreshing and mellow lemon flavour in between sips. I believe the ginger works very well with the lemon and it would also be a great drink if your coming down with a sore throat or cold.

One cup down and I am buzzing like a very happy bee. (buzz buzz buzz)
It tastes nice and gives you the caffeine kick it promises. Well done. :)

This would be a good substitute for a glass of orange juice in the morning. Maybe I oversteeped it a tad, as the lemongrass is potent today! So is the ginger. Very nice citrus overtones. The finish is sour and bittersweet. The only thing I’m unsure about is the earthy mate undertone. I have off and on days with that flavour.

I still really enjoyed this cup. Thanks, Bluebird Tea Co., for the sample! Love the new little tea bags too.

Thank you Dexter3657 for sending this one my way.

I found the flavours in this tea sedate. There was a strong lemon aroma, but the taste was mellow and not at all tart. I got a bit of heat from the ginger.

This was only ok for me.

I had my first cup of tea just before leaving the house at 6.00 this morning. My second cup, unknown to me, wouldn’t pass my lips until gone 11.00. It might just have been sheer thirst, but I swear this tea seemed like the best thing I’ve ever tasted. I gulped it down as soon as it cooled enough, and I felt better almost instantly. I must have known, subconsciously, to pack such an auspicious tea, because I did need a kick to revive me once I got back to the office from setting off my interview sessions. I thought it would take 30 minutes, but I was actually there for 3 hours. Without my bad, as I hadn’t thought I’d be that long. Silly me. Anyway, making a cup of this was the first thing I did when I staggered back in.

I can’t taste a whole lot of mate, and I can’t see all that much among the leaf, either. I actually think this is mostly lemongrass, but it tastes deliciously fresh and vibrant, very lemony with a more generic citrus aftertaste. There was probably some mate, but it doesn’t contribute much to the flavour of the blend. I certainly felt a little more awake, though, so maybe it helped a bit.

I have another sample of this waiting in my stash, so I’ll have to try it again when I’m not so rushed and chronically thirsty. I’m sure it’s as nice as it seemed, hence the high rating – I’d give it that just for being pleasant and refreshing in my time of need, though, so there you go. A very successful morning tea, for a not-so-successful morning.

Another delicious sample from Bluebird Tea Co~

Mmm. I’ve never had mate before, so I don’t have much of a reference frame. This is pretty good though. It’s very lemon-gingery, and leaves a nice clean feeling. I’m not quite getting the caffeine kick mate is supposed to have, but that’s just because my body is weird. Very refreshing. I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for sending it my way, Bluebird!

I don’t know why I don’t drink more mate, I like the kind of mellow alertness it tends to leave me with, different than the buzz I tend to get from coffee or strong tea. I suppose It has to do with a bad experience I had with a jarring tasting lemon mate I had once, where it tasted harsh and unpleasant. However my other experiences were positive. My first experience with mate was at the debriefing after a contract I had in Ecuador. One of the other people I was with had been in Rosario, Argentina and she shared a pleasant sweet tasting mate with us while sharing stories of riots in the streets after the bank collapse there. In Ecuador I had very little tea but I did have some great coffee, even the chain coffee was great. Anyways that first experience was pleasant and mate is a really nice tea to share among friends.

Anyways, I think this tea has helped to cure me of my mate aversion. It is really quite a pleasant and balanced tea. Once brewed the tea has a scent of green tones from the lemongrass and the mate, and hints of ginger, lemon, and of something floral from the calendula. It brews to a nice light amber yellow.

Flavour wise it has top notes of lemongrass and lemon (creating a toned down baked lemon flavour), and ginger. There is a sweetness provided by the mate and calendula. These notes are all over a sweet and savoury vegetal note. Everything is done to a nice balance, neither the ginger, nor the lemon or the mate over power each other. Ginger provides a light bit of warmth but not too much heat and the lemon and mate help to create a sense of alertness and clarity. I am quite enjoying this cup and it would probably be nice cold as well.

Sampler Sunday! This is the last single-serve Bird & Blend sampler I had sitting around, back from their Bluebird Tea Co. days, and it’s a lemon ginger tea blended with yerba mate… basically a caffeinated lemon ginger. I do like lemon ginger teas when I feel nauseous (from the ginger, I either go for a ginger or mint tea in those cases) and I’ve been quite nauseous recently… my sister has been similarly afflicted, and we are thinking stress stomach ulcers may be the culprit due to a major family stressor we are dealing with at the moment. Caffeinated lemon ginger tea first thing this morning sounds kind of nice…

While my cup is steeping, I just want to take a moment to say I’ve been going through a lot of stress, frustration, and depression due to several things that I don’t really want to get into publicly, and I’ve been shown nothing but absolute kindness from my “Steepster family” during this hard time and it’s been really appreciated. It means more than you could ever know and I seriously appreciate it. You are all the best. ♥

The aroma of the tea actually smells very juicy lemon citrus, with a touch of a peppery ginger spice note; I’m not getting any of the herby vegetal/smoky notes I typically get from yerba mate, at least from the aroma. I’d have a hard time telling just from the scent that this wasn’t just a typical lemon ginger tea, and it also smells much more lemon heavy than ginger heavy, which is precisely how I like them (I especially don’t like lemon ginger teas filled with a bunch of artificial lemon pledge tasting flavoring or super strong artificial ginger flavoring that burns my tongue off… blech!)

With the taste, the mate makes itself more apparent, but it’s quite smooth and blends well with the lemon herbals. I’m getting some of the dry hay/grassy notes from the mate, but the smoky tobacco notes that I really don’t like from mate aren’t present in the cup at all; in fact, I think the grassiness of the mate is emphasized a bit by the lemongrass, helping bring out a bit more of the lemongrass’ herbiness, as well. The lemon flavor in this tea is excellent! I’ve had a lot of lemon teas that tasted too artificial or “cleaner” in their flavor, but this is very juicy and citrusy to me, it has a pleasant tanginess but doesn’t come close to approaching tart or sour at all. And honestly, the ginger is incredibly mild! It’s just a subnote, a slight warming sensation you feel as the sip slides down your throat, but you don’t really get that strong “gingery flavor” and there is no lingering heat or taste in your mouth. It’s a bit hard to even tell it is there, honestly, which is quite unusual for me compared to most lemon ginger teas I drink. You really have to look for it. Other than my beloved Tulsi Lemon Ginger by Davidson Teas, which I’d still say is probably my favorite non-caffeinated lemon ginger tea option, I’d say this one would be up there, just below it, as a perfect caffeinated option for those days you want lemon ginger but want a buzz to go along with it.

I hope B&B hasn’t changed the blend/mix on this much over the years, as I know this is an older teabag, because I’d gladly get more of this one sometime.

Flavors: Citrus, Dry Grass, Ginger, Hay, Herbaceous, Lemon, Lemongrass, Smooth, Tangy

Cameron B.

I’m so sorry you’re feeling so stressed! I had a period of time in my life when I had a similar experience with stomach ulcers, and I found that Prilosec really helped me.

Also, this tea sounds yummy, I love lemon! I’ll have to remember to add a sample of it to my next B&B order…

Mastress Alita

Thanks! I’ll let my sister know too.

tea-sipper

I hope some of your stresses go away. I know you said in one of your tasting notes you live away from your friends and family so it must be very tough to deal with things like your car repairs and migraines (and anything else, really) when you don’t have support around you. But that also makes you more independent than most! And as you say, your Steepster fam is here.

mrmopar

Hopefully things will make a turnaround soon!

Kawaii433

Yes, your “Steepster fam” is here. You are in our thoughts <3.

tea-sipper

(And I in no way intended to imply you were only going through the migraines and car trouble…obviously there is other stuff that you don’t need to share. Hope I didn’t offend. I just meant you are much stronger than I could be, being on your own away from family/friends.)

Mastress Alita

Thanks guys. It is hard, @teasipper. I don’t want to get into details because I don’t like putting my problems on anyone else or triggering sad memories for anyone else, but I have a relative who has taken a very abrupt downturn and with my family so spread out and with me currently having no means of getting up to help due to the car situation, there is extra stress and strain and I think that we are all starting the grieving process in our own way just knowing she may have several years of deteriorating health and distorted memories/memory loss ahead. Just a waiting game right now until some of my family can get back into the state to start dealing with the bazillion things that need taken care of. There’s been a lot of sad nights and I’ve just been overall a bit out of it.

tea-sipper

You don’t need to explain if you don’t want, I just had to make sure I didn’t offend you with anything I said. I’m so sorry. And I don’t have much else to say that might help, but like you said, us Steepsterers are “here” for you.

Sipdown (524)!

Free sample from the order that showed up today. Not really a flavour that interests me the bulk of the time; lemon and ginger that is. Still, a free sample is a free sample and I’ll try anything once!

I will say that this definitely did give me a really good burst of energy/kick. Unfortunately, it’s pretty late at night so that may or may not be a good thing. I should have waited drink it until tomorrow morning, but oh well. As for flavour, it’s not bad as far as ginger/lemon combos go. Much more lemon than ginger, in my opinion. Drinkable.

Ideal situation for this one, I think, would be with a bit of honey when one was feeling sick because the flavour would be really soothing/calming and you’d get the energy you generally need when you’re feeling unwell.

I think this is the last tea I have to try that MissB sent me a while back. Once again, thanks so much! I promise not to order any more teas for the rest of the year … except for Bluebird towards the end of the year. This one looks like it’s mostly lemongrass though it’s supposed to be yerba mate. There is plenty of lemon flavor, I think from the verbena. I love the flavor from lemon verbena! I would have like some more yerba mate… I couldn’t really taste any at all. Not bad, but not my favorite from Bluebird.
Steep #1 // few minutes after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

This was a free sample from Bluebird Tea Co. with my order, so thank you very much for the try! The sample came in an adorable fancy teabag, with the bluebird logo printed on.

Looking at the bag, I can’t see a whole lot of maté, it mostly seems to be lemongrass, and smells very lemony, too. Steeping, the lemon smell intensifies and kind of gets sweeter, so that after brewing the tea smells almost like a sherbet lemon sweet to me. It is a very pale infusion, even though I left if for forever.

The overall flavour is of lemongrass, and I can’t really taste the ginger at all, although there’s a nice tingly heat kick at the end which I think is down to the ginger. This was perfect for me, though, as I really do not like ginger at all. I can’t taste any smoke from the Yerba, I don’t think, but I’ve never had it before so I’m not really sure what I’m looking for exactly. I’ve just gotten to the end of the cup, and the last two or three mouthfuls had a weird fishy taste. Ew.

Overall, a nice delicate cup, but not something I would choose to wake me up as it’s just not strong enough.