New House Blend

Assam Tea, Bergamot Oil, Ceylon Black Tea, Kenyan Black Leaves
Bergamot, Grapes, Malt, Astringent, Baked Bread, Bitter, Earth, Lemon, Raisins, Smooth, Cinnamon, Citrus, Lemon Zest, Citrusy
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “I needed a strong and simple flavoured tea. And what is simplier than an Earl Grey? Honestly, I am bit sad that it doesn’t contain any citrus pieces. It would make the blend nicer. And only Assam...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 20 From the name, I would think this was a breakfast blend. But actually, it’s an Earl Grey! So that’s interesting. It’s described as being strong, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holiday Tea-son! Hey, a black tea in the advent calendar today, so I fixed it up for the work thermos… though they claim it is a “stronger Earl Grey.” I like EG, but prefer mine on the “lighter”...” Read full tasting note
  • “I spent a long time finding the perfect Earl Grey for my tastes, one with a strong base that would not be overwhelmed by the bergamot flavour. This tea comes very close to ticking all my boxes. The...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A stronger Earl Grey blend with whole leaf Assam

Perfect for those who like a stronger Earl Grey, our New House Blend is a full bodied blend of whole leaf Earl Grey and Assam. Enjoyed for years at founder, Mike’s, family home, The New House, where his family created this blend when he was just a boy!

Ceylon black tea, Assam black tea, Kenyan black tea, bergamot oil

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° water, 4 mins, with or without milk.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I needed a strong and simple flavoured tea.

And what is simplier than an Earl Grey?

Honestly, I am bit sad that it doesn’t contain any citrus pieces. It would make the blend nicer. And only Assam is whole leaf, rest is CTC or BOP tea :(

But blend aroma is wondeful! I notice fresh citrus — bergamot notes. It smells nice and not artificial.

Taste — well the base is indeed well present, quite malty… maybe too much. I noticed as well nice grape notes — similar to Georgian tea. And bergamot flavour? It is just right! Not overpowering, but noticeable in the taste. Could be bit more stronger, or as I wrote before, more citrus notes by zests for example? I don’t know, I am not a tea mixologist. Roswell Strange, could it work?

Flavors: Bergamot, Grapes, Malt

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 20

From the name, I would think this was a breakfast blend. But actually, it’s an Earl Grey! So that’s interesting. It’s described as being strong, and I saw some CTC leaves in the bag, so I reduced the steep time to 2.5 minutes.

This is quite tasty. I wasn’t sure when they call it a “strong Earl Grey”, whether they mean the bergamot is strong or the tea. But the bergamot here is not overly strong, so I’m guessing they’re talking about the base tea. It’s quite flavorful, with some nice raisin and malt notes and just enough bite without being too tannic. I’m drinking mine straight and it’s perfectly enjoyable this way, though it would also stand up to milk.

Nom.

Flavors: Astringent, Baked Bread, Bergamot, Bitter, Earth, Lemon, Malt, Raisins, Smooth

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 30 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

Holiday Tea-son! Hey, a black tea in the advent calendar today, so I fixed it up for the work thermos… though they claim it is a “stronger Earl Grey.” I like EG, but prefer mine on the “lighter” side, so I made my thermos London Fog style since they warned it was a “stronger” blend. I did have a little surplus tea, so I put that in a cup just to sample it plain, and… it wasn’t too robust. Yes, a bit more than I prefer in EGs on the bergamot side, lending a bit more citrus bitterness than I like, and the black tea was quite robust leading to more of that astringent dryness than I like, but I was surprised I could still make out some malt, cinnamon, and lemon zest notes in the base. With a lot of EGs they are just a bergamot bomb and I can’t even taste any notes from the black tea leaves anymore, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I didn’t make my London Fog too milky, with a ratio of 50ml vanilla almond milk to 350ml tea for my 400ml thermos, and it was very nice. This is how I prefer Earl Grey’s that are like this. I’ll drink the lighter ones straight, but these really robust ones that are a bit too bitter/astringent for my personal tastes make a nice London Fog, and I just make them up as a latte. The vanilla almond milk adds the vanilla component so I don’t need extra syrup, and adds that thick/creamy/sweet element that tempers the bitterness and astringency, and the vanilla compliments the citrus bergamot flavor nicely. Sometimes I’ll use coconut milk instead, as it is also nicely sweet and a great compliment flavor.

Great London Fog tea, not really my personal taste as a straight tea.

Flavors: Astringent, Bergamot, Bitter, Cinnamon, Citrus, Lemon Zest, Malt

I spent a long time finding the perfect Earl Grey for my tastes, one with a strong base that would not be overwhelmed by the bergamot flavour. This tea comes very close to ticking all my boxes. The base tastes like a slightly lighter english breakfast, with the added hint of bergamot that appears more like an aftertaste. If the flavouring had been only slightly more prominent, it would have been perfect.

Flavors: Astringent, Bergamot, Citrusy

I was talking about Kenyan black teas the other day, and then I went through my stash and found that this one has a Kenyan tea as part of its base – along with Ceylon and Assam. It’s also an Earl Grey, like the tea that triggered the revelation, so obviously I had to try it next.

Much like Teapigs Earl Grey Strong, the strength of this blend is in the base rather than in the prominence of the bergamot, and in many ways that makes it a more suitable EG for me. I’m not the biggest bergamot fan, and although the dry leaf seems to suggest that it’s going to be STRONG here, it’s actually very subtle. I gave 1 tsp of leaf 4 minutes in boiling water, and it’s the base tea that I can taste most clearly. It’s deliciously, sweetly malty, with an underlying crisp citrus note attributable to the Ceylon but amped to a certain extent by the bergamot. It’s a well balanced blend, at least to my tastes.

If you like Earl Grey, but aren’t a bergamot fan, this one’s worth a try. I’d say it’s quite a delicate blend, as they go. If you like a good smack of bergamot, you might want to steer clear.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Backlog:

For real? I’m the first one to review this tea here? Can’t be real.

Anyway, I was thrilled to be able to try this tea because I love me some Earl Grey, and this is an awesome Earl Grey. AWESOME! I love the blend of teas used – it provides a solid backdrop of flavor that’s rich, robust and full of gusto. And even better, the bergamot doesn’t wimp out in the presence of the black tea power. This is the kind of Earl Grey that I’m more than happy to start the day with – any time!

I love this tea. Since my favorite Earl Grey is no longer being sold (at least not by the company that used to sell it) this may now be my favorite Earl Grey. It would be difficult to say. I’ve had a lot of amazing Earl Grey teas. But this one definitely has earned a spot in the upper echelon.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/09/05/new-house-blend-black-tea-from-bluebird-tea-co/