Fruit Herbal Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

1 Tasting Note View all

• “It’s cold today, and I’m feeling totally grim for a variety of reasons, so I figured a warming, energy-boosting (apparently…) chai would make for a better start to the day than the one I’m...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A selection of Amazonion super plants blended with delicious Indian chai spices. Guarana has been enjoyed by our beautiful Brazillian brothers as an energy drinks for centuries. It’s ability to boost energy levels and help burn fat make this the perfect blend for an active lifestyle.

Part of our Exotic teas range – tea blended using unusual and exotic ingredients.

Ingredients: Yerba mate, Guarana, Mint, Cedron, Cardamon, Fennel, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander seeds, Black Peppercorns.

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° water, 4+ mins, Without milk.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

1 Tasting Note

It’s cold today, and I’m feeling totally grim for a variety of reasons, so I figured a warming, energy-boosting (apparently…) chai would make for a better start to the day than the one I’m currently having. I don’t think I’ve ever tried a chai quite like this one before – the base tea is yerba mate, but there’s also a lot of gurana (large, shiny brown balls…?) I used 1.5 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 3 minutes in boiling water.

The resulting liquor is a medium green-brown, quite swampy looking. It smells just like a regular chai – spicy, heavy on the cinnamon and ginger. It tastes more savoury than the chai I’m typically used to – more like curry powder dissolved in water than anything else. I’d been expecting a lot of cinnamon/ginger based on the scent, but it’s the cardamon, corriander, and black pepper that are most prominent. I quite like that in a chai, so it’s a happy cup so far for me.

I googled gurana, out of interest, and it appears to be a climbing plant in the maple family, native to Brazil. The “brown balls” are seeds from its fruit, and apparently contain twice the amount of caffeine as a coffee bean. It’s used a lot in energy drinks.

I was expecting the base tea to be more evident in the overall flavour, but it’s actually not. I think the level of spicing is disguising it to some extent, which, when it comes to chai, is no bad thing. One thing I absolutely can’t taste is mint, and given that it’s the third ingredient on the list I was expecting to be able to taste it. Not so, although in all honesty that might be for the best. I’m not sure minty curry powder would be a good thing…

I’m enjoying this one. It’s got a nicely savoury vibe, which is unusual among the teas I drink, and as chai goes it’s deliciously spicy. This one’s a winner with me.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp