Black Chai Blend
Black Tea, Cacao Beans, Cardamom, Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon, Coffee Beans, Ginger, Vanilla Flavour
Chocolate, Coffee, Mocha, Spices
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

• “321/365 This was my Friday tea at work yesterday – I needed something to keep me awake, and although I don’t drink coffee, this seemed like a good compromise! I feel like this one’s changed since...” Read full tasting note
  • “I used up the last of my sample pack this past weekend. I steeped the tea and then used the tea to cook a small portion of steel cut oats. Yum. What a comforting, chocolaty, slightly spiced bowl of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, I’m not really into those Asians’ spices to added into teas, But this one is quite well mixed. Without having added cardamom, it may be better off for me.” Read full tasting note
  • “I got a lovely parcel in the mail from Nattie a couple days ago – a swap from England! An English swap! I’m technically 1/4 British, a fact I’m very proud of. I have family over there to meet one...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A decadent spiced trio of coffee, chocolate and chai.

Three of our all-time favourite beverages combined in this malty black brew blend – Chocolate, Coffee and Chai. Real chocolate drops, heaps of warming spices and whole coffee beans balance brilliantly in this Autumn chai, especially good with milk!

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° water, 4 mins, with or without milk.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

321/365

This was my Friday tea at work yesterday – I needed something to keep me awake, and although I don’t drink coffee, this seemed like a good compromise! I feel like this one’s changed since last time I tried it – the ingredients list is very different now to the one that’s on the tea description page. It’s been slimmed down, shall we say? It’s still a black tea base, but now with only cocoa nibs, caradmon, cinnamon, and coffee beans. Simple enough!

I prepared my cup with milk, since chai without milk seems like the worst contradiction in terms to me. There’s lots of cocoa, which is dark and nicely chocolatey, and it pairs well with the coffee which is also distinctively prominent. It’s definitely still tea, but there is a real mocha vibe going on, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

The spicing is fairly prominent also – cardamon, mostly, but with a touch of cinnamon also. All apsects of this blend seem to complement each other well, and it’s a great morning tea. It helped me to get through Friday, that’s for sure! This is another one I must try and remember not to overlook.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I used up the last of my sample pack this past weekend. I steeped the tea and then used the tea to cook a small portion of steel cut oats. Yum. What a comforting, chocolaty, slightly spiced bowl of deliciousness. I don’t know that I’ll miss it over the next few months because it’s blazing hot outside, but I might repurchase it when the weather starts to cool down at the tail end of fall.

I got a lovely parcel in the mail from Nattie a couple days ago – a swap from England! An English swap! I’m technically 1/4 British, a fact I’m very proud of. I have family over there to meet one day.

For NOW – i shall drink the tea!

I brought any samples that were teas which could be prepared with boiling water to work, because those are easiest to make with the crappy kettle we have in our little kitchen. And believe me I am happy we have a kettle at all!

I was pretty pumped to try this one, based on the smell.

It didn’t disappoint me, it was a tasty alternative to an after lunch dessert.

I found a nice blend between the coffee/mocha, and chocolate and chai spices. The base wasn’t SUPER strong but definitely made for a hearty enough cup and i did add milk as well.

Maybe I could just let it steep a bit longer next time… Nattie was generous enough to give me enough for 2-3 cups!

Thanks :)

Nattie

I usually steep my bluebird blacks for a while – like 7 or 8 minutes – to get the most flavour out of it. I find their base/bases are usually very forgiving. It takes a lot to make it go bitter. I’m glad you liked it! (:

Additional notes: Even though I basically wait around until B&B has free shipping for international drinkers, I stayed strong and didn’t buy any tea this time around. Basically what kept me strong was thinking of all the kind Steepsterers who have sent me tea, especially this year (or late last year). So thanks for keeping me strong, tea buds. :D I REALLY hope this is a free shipping event that pops up every year though. The teas I love more are limited or seasonal, so that also factored. But I don’t think their ‘permanent wall’ teas are ever really on sale… so free shipping might be the only discount available to the permanent teas. Next time!
I was revisiting this one, somehow this has more flavor when I waited to steep after the water cooled for around 18 minutes and used a teaspoon and a half. I can’t imagine a half teaspoon would make that much of a difference, but somehow it did. (However, the new base might be stronger.) So many lovely flavors mingling. Sipdown next time.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug // 18 minutes after boiling // 4 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 5 minute steep

Roswell Strange

Apart from some of the matchas, the only year round tea that I really adore from them is the Rhubarb + Cuastard rooibos. I bit with this sale though and got some Easter teas, the Purple Rain (because I am so intrigued by violet teas right now), and a new matcha…

tea-sipper

I love Rhubarb & Custard too. One of my favorites. I’m glad a few Steepsterers are supporting B&B during my tea buying hiatus. :D

Arby

I’m so tempted to order from B&B but I can’t justify the price. It would be at least $140 CAD (75 British pounds) and there is no point making an order of just a few things when you are paying shipping anyway. Oof I wish they included their seasonal/limited options in their pick and mix 10 pack.

tea-sipper

But you missed the free shipping to the world, Arby. And I’m always suggesting group orders.. you can do a group order with Canadians. :D

Kittenna

@Roswell – we totally should have coordinated. I got Easter teas too, which I definitely did not need 50g each of!