Gingernut Matcha

Matcha White Tea
Chili, Cinnamon, Ginger, Matcha Green Tea, Natural Flavours, White Tea
Earth, Ginger, Spicy, Cookie, Cream, Pepper, Sweet, Vanilla, Bitter, Custard, Cinnamon, Graham, Nutmeg, Sugar
High
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA
155 °F / 68 °C 1 g 5 oz / 159 ml

• “Prepared maybe my first ever matcha. I have some from Yunomi, but I think I will use that one in some cookies or something. This one I prepared in this way: took a teacup, measured how high are...” Read full tasting note
  • “I made this as a matcha milk completely unaware of things like the chili and white tea in this blend. However, it is a tasty matcha milk. It tastes like a cookie…a ginger cookie. Alright…I spoke...” Read full tasting note
  • “#adventageddon Day Sixteen – 1/6 First advent tea today – made up as a latte to use up the sample. This was pretty good tasting but fairly similar to the Gingerbread Chai in concept, except for the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Day 9 – Matcha Advent As soon as the water hit the tea it filled my nose with ginger and spices, like fresh baked biscuits.  No real foam to speak of.  Flavour wise it’s creamy ginger with some...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Gingernut biscuit matcha blend, so moreish with milk!

Our limited edition Gingernut biscuit matcha blend is so moreish with milk! Get your matcha kicks with a ginger tingle this Autumn – Winter season!

Japanese matcha green tea, ginger, cinnamon, natural flavour granules, chilli

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

This one I prepared in this way:
took a teacup, measured how high are 100 ml mark,
prepared 80C water, filled till 100 ml mark,
whisked till powder dissolved,
drank

And here are my impressions:
Very ginger in taste. Very earthy too, both the flavour and tea. Bit dirty feeling, but that’s caused bit by a powder I think. Spicy last sips!

Wasn’t bad, but not my favourite for sure. Maybe my preparation wasn’t the best, maybe I should make it as a latte? Anyway, it’s sipdown of this one. No rating.

Flavors: Earth, Ginger, Spicy

175 °F / 79 °C 3 OZ / 100 ML

I made this as a matcha milk completely unaware of things like the chili and white tea in this blend. However, it is a tasty matcha milk. It tastes like a cookie…a ginger cookie. Alright…I spoke too soon. I just got a mouthful of ginger seaweed and grass. That good sip doesn’t offset the bad so now I am sad. Yeah, the rest was more bad. Very. Very. Bad!! I don’t know what went wrong but I can’t drink this again so into the swap box it goes.

AJRimmer

Yeah the one matcha I’ve tried of theirs was seaweedy, and I haven’t yet felt the need to try another.

VariaTEA

I’ve had several I tried and enjoyed and even this was very good at first. However, it clearly took a turn so I won’t be having this again.

Martin Bednář

You did not made me happy. It is only matcha I have from them and haven’t prepared it yet.

#adventageddon Day Sixteen – 1/6

First advent tea today – made up as a latte to use up the sample. This was pretty good tasting but fairly similar to the Gingerbread Chai in concept, except for the use of matcha here instead of rooibos powder. It’s warming and sweet with mild but present notes of cinnamon and ginger, and a sweeter vanilla biscuit-y taste as well that ties the whole cup together to make it feel like a Gingernut/Ginger Cookie. The milk was a good touch because it made it much creamier, like dunking cookies in milk. It’s not really my jam but there’s nothing wrong with it either apart from some pretty major settling of the ground spices!

Day 9 – Matcha Advent

No real foam to speak of.

Flavour wise it’s creamy ginger with some sweetness and a touch of astringency. It’s also got some fire to it which is probably the chili. The green tea tastes earthy and bitter but subtle behind the ginger.

If you don’t like ginger this isn’t the blend for you, it’s not overpowering but I love ginger so it’s pleasing to me.

I imagine this is more suited to latte drinks than ceremonial methods, but I like it all the same.

This is the only Matcha so far that I would consider buying a pot of for Christmas. Orange Matcha was my favourite up until this point and now I’m not sure which would take the top prize. If this was perhaps less bitter it would be amazing, i’m sure milk would sort that issue.

That being said my partner blind tasted my drink and he couldn’t tell what flavour it was. And it does smell nicer than it tastes.

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 9

Well, I’ve already tried this one in the B&B tea advent a few days ago. I guess there’s bound to be some overlap, but I wish it were on matcha flavors I like more… ;)

Anyway, this is just too gingery for me. Even preparing it with soy milk, the ground ginger note is quite strong. There is a bit of cookie sweetness and dessert-y flavor, but mostly it’s ginger to me.

Not my favorite, for sure. But someone who likes ginger more than me would probably enjoy this.

From Bonne Maman, today it’s Lemon (Citron) spread. This should be interesting, I do enjoy lemon, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a lemon marmalade before.

Hmm, it’s also not my favorite. It tastes almost medicinal because there’s so much peel flavor. It’s also quite bitter, similar to marmalade. It’s not high on my list compared to other jams I’ve tried so far.

Flavors: Bitter, Cookie, Custard, Ginger, Spicy, Sweet

Iced 4 OZ / 118 ML
VariaTEA

Day 9 seems like a bad day for advent.

Cameron B.

Well, it definitely hasn’t been my favorite so far. :P

Holiday Tea-son! Fourth tea from my advent calendar. This is not one of B&B’s matcha’s I’ve had the chance to try yet, so I’m happy to get a sample. I mixed the matcha in 100ml 175F water in my frother, moved it to a mug, then mixed 200ml vanilla almond milk on the warm setting in my frother. It smells nice… like sweet gingersnap cookies.

It’s very sweet. I’m getting a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon spice notes that are very forward in the cup, with a sugary, graham cracker crust sort of flavor overall. It’s very creamy, and the spice lingers on the tongue with a pleasant warmth, but doesn’t cause any unpleasant heat. I like it, but then, I like flavored matcha. I don’t taste any of the base matcha, though; the grassiness is pretty much muted under the flavors here, so if you don’t like that, you aren’t going to enjoy this one.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cookie, Graham, Nutmeg, Spicy, Sugar, Sweet

175 °F / 79 °C 1 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
Cameron B.

Bird & Blend’s base matcha is quite weak IMO. So all of the flavored matchas I’ve tried from them have been a similar experience with no matcha flavor at all.

But I’m glad you enjoyed it anyway! ❤

Mastress Alita

I don’t really mind whether I taste the grass or not… usually what gets me is if the grassy taste is a bitter vegetal taste, which is why I can’t drink matcha straight, I have to always drink it as a latte (is a wuss). Not that I wouldn’t mind if it was in there more, but I’m okay with fun flavors once in a while, too. Mostly the reason I don’t get them (other than sampler packs) is the steep price tag for a 30g pot/shipping.

Cameron B.

That’s true, I should be happy that I’m not loving their base as their matcha is quite pricey, and the shipping equally expensive…

I feel like I have a new appreciation for this one – and that’s saying something, for me, because I don’t really like ginger.

But

You can make this one taste like a ginger cream, and (perhaps perversely) they’re something I actually do quite like. All you have to do, it turns out, is brew as a latte and add 1 tsp of honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla essence. Then it tastes like biscuit, and that’s all right with me.

I might even buy more of this, and that’s something I thought I’d never say. I’ve increased my rating, because this shit’s good.