Mrs Claus' Raspberry Prosecco

Black Fruit Herbal Blend
Apple Pieces, Darjeeling Tea, Freeze Dried Raspberries, Ginseng, Hibiscus, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, Rose Hips
Autumn Leaf Pile, Muscatel, Orange, Pepper, Raspberry, Smooth, Astringent, Baked Bread, Earth, Hay, Musty, Tart
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Happy Kwanzaa to everyone who celebrates! I drank this one yesterday, for Christmas. It’s now or never to write a tasting note for this one. I acquired this in the July B&B sale. I’ve...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holiday Tea-son! The sixth tea from my advent calendar. I rarely see blends using darjeeling as a base, and I have to say I’m really liking this one; I steeped rather conservatively to avoid...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 6 Personally, I would have called it “Mrs. Claus’s Raspberry Prosecco”, but I think that’s one of those grey areas in grammar where either usage is...” Read full tasting note
  • “I cold brewed my remaining four bags to bring to work with me today. It’s pretty good this way – tart, juicy raspberry, and that something in the background that really does remind me of prosecco....” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Mama Claus’ favourite festive tipple!

First Flush Darjeeling black tea, the champagne of black teas, and real raspberry chunks; this light + classy fruity flute is perfect for toasting special occasions (or just after a long day out on the sleigh!). It is a not-so-secret that all would grind to a hault at Christmas time without the help of the fabulous Mrs Claus so she sure deserves this tea treat!

Ingredients: First Flush Darjeeling black tea (40%), apple pieces (17%), rosehip, hibiscus, Siberian ginseng, freeze-dried raspberry (4%), orange peel (1.6%), natural flavouring.

Steeping Instructions: 100C/212F, 4 mins.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Happy Kwanzaa to everyone who celebrates!
I drank this one yesterday, for Christmas. It’s now or never to write a tasting note for this one. I acquired this in the July B&B sale. I’ve already parceled out most of it to others, since I can’t find anything special in this blend. It just isn’t for me even though I LOVE raspberries. I’ve tried it a few times and I just get the same result – tart and sour. No matter how I try steeping it, I feel like the hibiscus just takes over. On the second steep using boiled water, somehow the hibiscus took more of a backseat so that was better. Too many tart ingredients in this blend though. I get wisps of raspberry and the flavor of the base, but it just isn’t enough. The description for this tea kind of mentions percentages on the ingredients and it’s 62% of the other ingredients and they aren’t mentioning the amount of hibiscus and rosehips… I really hope it ain’t 40% rosehips and hibiscus. The description also mentioned steeping at boiling for 4 minutes which I would never do with a Darj…. I do love the idea of a darjeeling with raspberries though. But this one just isn’t my favorite from B&B. It’s good to have a couple blends from B&B I don’t feel I need to keep around though!
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// 20 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 2 minute steep

TreeGal

This one doesn’t sound too great, I agree…but now I can’t get the idea of real raspberry Prosecco out of my head…that sounds delicious!

Holiday Tea-son! The sixth tea from my advent calendar. I rarely see blends using darjeeling as a base, and I have to say I’m really liking this one; I steeped rather conservatively to avoid getting too much bitterness in my tea, and it turned out really well. I turned down the heat a bit and that seemed to help with a lot of the tannic features I get often with darjeelings. It’s quite smooth, with only very mild astringency left after the sip, honestly hardly noticable. I have notes of autumn leaf, orange, pepper, and muscat. The raspberry flavor is more subtle, but I do get a little berry sweetness toward the back of my tongue near the end of the sip. I think the berry flavor hitting so late may be why the astringency is so unnoticable in this black.

I am saving yesterday’s Great British Cuppa for Sunday’s Doctor Who finale (I like English Breakfast blends with my Doctor Who viewings!) so thus far of the black teas I’ve had from the calendar, I’d say this one has been my favorite!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Muscatel, Orange, Pepper, Raspberry, Smooth

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 6

Personally, I would have called it “Mrs. Claus’s Raspberry Prosecco”, but I think that’s one of those grey areas in grammar where either usage is correct…

This one is a first-flush Darjeeling base, so I lowered both my steep temperature and time just a bit. I’m sure it probably would be fine at my usual temperature, as the leaf didn’t look overly Darjeeling-esque. Often with more sensitive Darjeeling teas, I’ve found the leaves look lighter, with more green/purple hues to them. But better safe than sorry!

Happily, it’s not bitter in the least. The base seems rather unremarkable to me, there’s some mustiness and perhaps some hay notes, but otherwise it almost tastes Lipton-y. Maybe a suggestion of baked bread? Or I’m just grasping at straws now, ha ha… It is slightly astringent at the end of the sip.

I do like the added flavors quite a bit. There’s a nice authentic raspberry flavor that’s boosted by a touch of hibiscus. I’m not sure that I get orange or ginseng though.

I think the lightness and slight drying quality of the Darjeeling plus with bright flavor of the raspberry does evoke the taste of sparkling wine a bit.

I have some of this coming to be in a stash sale soon, so I’ll have to experiment with the steeping parameters a bit to see if I can get a bit more flavor out of the base tea.

Flavors: Astringent, Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Earth, Hay, Musty, Raspberry, Tart

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 30 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

I cold brewed my remaining four bags to bring to work with me today. It’s pretty good this way – tart, juicy raspberry, and that something in the background that really does remind me of prosecco. The darjeeling base is crisp and clean, a touch muscatel. It’s perhaps a little strong as is (I’m still getting used to my cold brew bottle, which is only 750ml as opposed to the litre or two I’m used to preparing), but that just means I can use 70:30 tea to sparkling water, and that’s a pretty perfect way to drink this one. The carbonation helps to capture the whole “prosecco” aspect even more perfectly! I’m sad this was a Christmas limited edition, because it’s an amazing on a hot day like today.

Iced 8 min or more 4 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML